Carlo's Bakery from EWR hotel

ladysail2

I'm staying at the Doubletree at the EWR airport....and have a day to do something. I thought of going to Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken.  I've been there before..but was staying at the Hilton Penn Station and went on a weekday. This time, it would be a Sunday.  The taxi company said it would charge me $60 for the trip. I'm presuming that's a return trip.  Is there any possibility of taking the PATH train like I did before, with transferring at Journal Square?  Again, I'm there on a Sunday.  Or should I wait for another time when I'm visiting during the week?  Thanks for any advice!!  😊

49 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I'm staying at the Doubletree at the EWR airport....and have a day to do something. I thought of going to Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken.  I've been there before..but was staying at the Hilton Penn Station and went on a weekday. This time, it would be a Sunday.  The taxi company said it would charge me $60 for the trip. I'm presuming that's a return trip.  Is there any possibility of taking the PATH train like I did before, with transferring at Journal Square?  Again, I'm there on a Sunday.  Or should I wait for another time when I'm visiting during the week?  Thanks for any advice!!  😊

I’m thinking the $60 is a one way quote for the taxi.

If you have time to kill, public transit is definitely an option, but time consuming.  
1)Hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain Station.

2) Airtrain to Terminal C and bus to Newark Penn Station - $.75 exact change senior fare

or

Airtrain to Newark Airport Station and NJ Transit train to Newark - $9.10 senior fare

3) PATH from Newark Penn Station to Journal Square with transfer to the 33rd St train to Hoboken (Weekend service goes via Hoboken) - $2.75

Watch the weather on Sunday.  Rain/snow showers are currently predicted.  At least it will be near freezing and not arctic weather temps.  If you’re serious about doing this, check NJ Transit for the bus schedules from the airport to Newark Penn.  I’ve never done this, but it looks like bus 62 or GO28 will take you right to Newark Penn and service is pretty frequent for a Sunday.

https://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=BusTo

8 hours ago, 138east said:

I’m thinking the $60 is a one way quote for the taxi.

If you have time to kill, public transit is definitely an option, but time consuming.  
1)Hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain Station.

2) Airtrain to Terminal C and bus to Newark Penn Station - $.75 exact change senior fare

or

Airtrain to Newark Airport Station and NJ Transit train to Newark - $9.10 senior fare

3) PATH from Newark Penn Station to Journal Square with transfer to the 33rd St train to Hoboken (Weekend service goes via Hoboken) - $2.75

Watch the weather on Sunday.  Rain/snow showers are currently predicted.  At least it will be near freezing and not arctic weather temps.  If you’re serious about doing this, check NJ Transit for the bus schedules from the airport to Newark Penn.  I’ve never done this, but it looks like bus 62 or GO28 will take you right to Newark Penn and service is pretty frequent for a Sunday.

https://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=BusTo

Thank you. I will plan to go, but if the weather isn't looking great, I won't go. $60 one way..yikes..no cab for me!   I'll definitely be looking at all the schedules.  I've gone there before by public transit, so at least I have an idea.  Thank you again!

5 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Its a $20 each way trip with Uber. That taxi company is trying to rip you off. 

Thank you for that tip. I've used Uber in Canada...I presume it works the same in the US.  I just have to set it up on my new phone....

Do Uber drivers mind a customer asking what the approximate fare will be?  I always like to have an idea.   Is your cost from the Doubletree on Frontage Road, and fairly recent?  

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  😊

8 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Thank you for that tip. I've used Uber in Canada...I presume it works the same in the US.  I just have to set it up on my new phone....

Do Uber drivers mind a customer asking what the approximate fare will be?  I always like to have an idea.   Is your cost from the Doubletree on Frontage Road, and fairly recent?  

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  😊

Uber gives you a fare in the app before you accept the ride. Drivers do sometimes decline and your ride suddenly goes away, but you’ll know the fare ahead of time. 

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Uber gives you a fare in the app before you accept the ride. Drivers do sometimes decline and your ride suddenly goes away, but you’ll know the fare ahead of time. 

I didn’t know that. Thank you, I’ve only used Uber once.  Does the drive disappear because the fare isn't enough for the driver?  I had trouble at the Miami Port because the taxi driver didn't want to just drive me to the Holiday Inn.  His boss forced him to take me....talk about a stressful ride...thank goodness it was short.  I tipped him well out of guilt..yikes!

Thanks for letting me more about Uber.

I've only had it happen a couple of times, so I don't know why.

What you'll see in Uber is a price, an arrival time, and a type of Uber (either pool, or general size of car). When you select one, you'll get an actual car, a driver name, a license plate, etc. At that point, I'd find it unusual that you don't get that ride, but it's possible they're stuck in traffic, forgot to sign out and aren't really there, etc. But generally speaking, they've agreed to the fare just the same as you.

It's by no means perfect, and I'll argue that the cab company isn't trying to rip you off; they're charging what the local regulatory agency says they can (and maybe even should) charge. Cabs are pretty heavily regulated in New York and New Jersey; Uber is regulated, but like private hire cars, not the same price controls, etc. But I'd generally be comfortable with Uber on the trip you're considering. Just be sure you're comfortable with the price...

3 hours ago, markeb said:

I've only had it happen a couple of times, so I don't know why.

What you'll see in Uber is a price, an arrival time, and a type of Uber (either pool, or general size of car). When you select one, you'll get an actual car, a driver name, a license plate, etc. At that point, I'd find it unusual that you don't get that ride, but it's possible they're stuck in traffic, forgot to sign out and aren't really there, etc. But generally speaking, they've agreed to the fare just the same as you.

It's by no means perfect, and I'll argue that the cab company isn't trying to rip you off; they're charging what the local regulatory agency says they can (and maybe even should) charge. Cabs are pretty heavily regulated in New York and New Jersey; Uber is regulated, but like private hire cars, not the same price controls, etc. But I'd generally be comfortable with Uber on the trip you're considering. Just be sure you're comfortable with the price...

Thank you markeb.  I appreciate your comments.  I do like seeing a price for somewhere that is the first time (by cab).   I got my Uber all set up...let's hope it works well. I might use it to get to the airport next weekend as a trial run.  😊

21 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

If you must go (check the reviews!) go to the one at Port Authority in NYC and see some of Manhattan.  Easy to get to and then you have New York City, instead of Hoboken to spend time in

I think that defeats the purpose, it’s not like the bakery is that great, people visit because of the TV show. Dd23 was just in hoboken yesterday, brunch and bar hopping.

3 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I think that defeats the purpose, it’s not like the bakery is that great, people visit because of the TV show. Dd23 was just in hoboken yesterday, brunch and bar hopping.

Yep, that's why they go.  And the reviews show the disappointment far too often.  Which is why I hope the OP reconsiders investing too much time into seeing a TV show set, when there is so much more out there

• Like 1

In response to Nitemare and mjkacmom who seem to be somewhat judging me for my decision to go to Carlo’s Bakery....I only have about 4 hours of daylight between landing and being safe inside at nightfall. I’ve been to Manhattan several, several times in the last 20 years and have seen so much, and of course still have lots to see. In fact I was just in Manhattan at the end of October staying in a mid-town hotel. I’ve stayed in Manhattan, I’ve stayed at the Robert Treat, I’ve stayed at the Hilton Penn Station NJ, all of which affords easy access to Manhattan. What’s around the Doubletree on Frontage St for me to see? I’ve been to Carlo’s before, I also went to the fruit and vegetable store beside it, I also walked up and down the street just observing different stores and having a walk in a different area.  I am alone so I don’t venture too far near nightfall. Sometimes I go somewhere just to pass the time, did I say I was buying anything?   You’re presuming alot especially when you know nothing about my reason for the visit.  Do everyone a favour and go do your people bashing elsewhere, not on these forums.

46 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

In response to Nitemare and mjkacmom who seem to be somewhat judging me for my decision to go to Carlo’s Bakery....I only have about 4 hours of daylight between landing and being safe inside at nightfall. I’ve been to Manhattan several, several times in the last 20 years and have seen so much, and of course still have lots to see. In fact I was just in Manhattan at the end of October staying in a mid-town hotel. I’ve stayed in Manhattan, I’ve stayed at the Robert Treat, I’ve stayed at the Hilton Penn Station NJ, all of which affords easy access to Manhattan. What’s around the Doubletree on Frontage St for me to see? I’ve been to Carlo’s before, I also went to the fruit and vegetable store beside it, I also walked up and down the street just observing different stores and having a walk in a different area.  I am alone so I don’t venture too far near nightfall. Sometimes I go somewhere just to pass the time, did I say I was buying anything?   You’re presuming alot especially when you know nothing about my reason for the visit.  Do everyone a favour and go do your people bashing elsewhere, not on these forums.

I honestly wasn’t judging you, just saying why I thought you’d rather go to the Hoboken location. I’ve never been, but dd16 ended up there after a soccer game in the area. Sometimes it’s fun to go to tourist traps, take some pictures, especially on vacation. I have teens and young adults, they love going to cities for popular photo opts.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I honestly wasn’t judging you, just saying why I thought you’d rather go to the Hoboken location. I’ve never been, but dd16 ended up there after a soccer game in the area. Sometimes it’s fun to go to tourist traps, take some pictures, especially on vacation. I have teens and young adults, they love going to cities for popular photo opts.

It sounded a little judgey.....but now you can see that I have only a few hours to do something and Carlo's isn't too far away. I don't want to just sit in the hotel room when I could be at least looking at pastries and wishing I needed to gain 20 pounds.  A few hours doesn't leave enough time to go to Manhattan and do something. It's a Sunday too, so I'll do something familiar and one never knows what one will see on the way there or back.  The sun will be going down around 6-7 or so and I don't wander alone after dark so getting back in the light is imperative.  I love NYC and plan many trips there but usually in better weather for site seeing.  Have a good day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

...I have only a few hours to do something and Carlo's isn't too far away. I don't want to just sit in the hotel room when I could be at least looking at pastries and wishing I needed to gain 20 pounds.  A few hours doesn't leave enough time to go to Manhattan and do something. It's a Sunday too, so I'll do something familiar and one never knows what one will see on the way there or back.  The sun will be going down around 6-7 or so and I don't wander alone after dark so getting back in the light is imperative...

May I offer a few comments and suggestions?

If you want to go to Carlo's... well, why not?  (Personally, it's not my thing. My wife once sent me in to pick up some items when we were on the way to visit her aunts in Hoboken, many years ago, before the place became famous, and I've never had a desire to go back... But that's just me.😁)  Given your reasons for wanting to go, and because you already know what to expect, I certainly wouldn't dissuade you.

I would add that, Carlo's aside, Hoboken on the whole is an interesting town to explore on foot, and well worth a visit instead of being stuck in an airport hotel.  If you have time, you might enjoy strolling through the small but picturesque campus of the Stevens Institute of Technology, which occupies a hilltop overlooking the Hudson River.  You might also enjoy the Hoboken Historical Museum, open from noon till 5 pm on Sundays:  https://www.hobokenmuseum.org

And as you are already familiar with the area around Carlo's, you doubtless will know that Washington Street--the main business street of Hoboken, running the entire north-south length of the town--is chock-a-block with places to eat.  If it were me, I'd much rather prefer to have supper in Hoboken than at an airport hotel.  I can recommend The Brass Rail, at the corner of Washington & 2nd, just one block from Carlo's, or Arthur's Tavern, at the corner of Washington & 3rd. There are literally dozens of other eateries of all kinds within a five-minute walk of Carlo's.

You say "The sun will be going down around 6-7 or so and I don't wander alone after dark so getting back in the light is imperative."

It's perfectly understandable that a visitor might be apprehensive in an unfamiliar urban area after dark, and I don't mean to disparage your apprehension.  However, for what it's worth, I can assure you from long personal experience that Hoboken on a Sunday evening after dark is no more dangerous than Hoboken on a Sunday afternoon in broad daylight. The streets and sidewalks are well lit (electric lights!); respectable, law-abiding residents and visitors of all ages are out and about without fear. Maybe I haven't kept up with the local news, but I'm not aware of a cult of vampires or zombies that emerge at sundown to stalk the streets of Hoboken to assault any passers-by who dare to venture outside after 7 pm.😉 

Incidentally, Hoboken streets follow a grid pattern, so it is difficult to get lost. Named streets run north<>south, numbered streets run east<>west.  The topography of the town is such that it's virtually impossible to wander out of Hoboken inadvertently.

All this is just by way of saying that you shouldn't feel you have to rush back to your hotel before sunset out of fear that "the danger" (whatever that "danger" might be) increases exponentially after dark. In my many years of walking the length and breadth of Hoboken after sunset, using the Hoboken Rail Terminal and the PATH station at all hours and all days of the week, riding the PATH train and NJ transit trains ditto, changing trains at Newark Penn Station, and EWR, I've never encountered a situation that seemed overtly dangerous or threatening. I won't say I've never felt uncomfortable or nervous--but that's very rare, and it's probably because I'm the nervous sort to begin with. (I follow the principle of "better safe than sorry.")

Of course, I understand that just because "something bad" hasn't happened to me in the past doesn't mean it won't happen to me in the future.  That's life.  Whenever I travel, whether near or far, I take what I think are basic and reasonable precautions.  But I have no reason to believe that "something bad" is more likely to happen to me after sunset than before sunset.

Hope this is helpful.  Enjoy your visit!

Edited by Post Captain

Thank you Post Captain. You are full of good ideas.  I appreciate your ideas for supper. I just might stay and eat in Hoboken. I do find the area very interesting.  I had a good walk around last time I was there. Those restaurants you mention sound like places I would enjoy.

As far as wandering around after dark, its a blanket policy I have.  I thank my lucky stars that nothing has ever happened to me due to always paying attention to my surroundings. Perhaps nothing would have happened anyway.  I’ve had a few threats in the daytime, but nothing came of them. I’m sure Hoboken is safe and trustworthy, but I’ve never mastered feeling relaxed walking alone after dark.  Now that Im older, slower and weaker, I feel less relaxed.  It’s a learned behaviour from everyone who tells me to ‘be careful’...so, it’s worked for me thus far, I won’t change the lucky streak.  

I just hope the weather and Uber work out for Sunday. I look forward to my visit to Washington St in Hoboken!  I know I’ll enjoy my visit!  Thanks again!

"safe inside at nightfall"?

NYC is the safest large city in the country.  You will never be more safe than there.  And so much to do and see and experience.  Newark, on the other hand  . . .

Staying inside isn't being "lucky", it's "a shame".

Edited by Nitemare

5 hours ago, Nitemare said:

"safe inside at nightfall"?

NYC is the safest large city in the country.  You will never be more safe than there.  And so much to do and see and experience.  Newark, on the other hand  . . .

Staying inside isn't being "lucky", it's "a shame".

Not knowing exactly to whom you refer, not knowing if you’re male or female and not knowing if you’re 6’5” and 350 pounds of muscle....if you want to wander around outside after midnight, be my guest. Who am I to tell you how to feel, what you want or where you want to go???  But to judge others for their feelings and types of likes and dislikes is just plain ignorant. To say you’re stupid for your judgemental comments is not very nice of me, but my opinion is that you deserve it. 

4 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Not knowing exactly to whom you refer, not knowing if you’re male or female and not knowing if you’re 6’5” and 350 pounds of muscle....if you want to wander around outside after midnight, be my guest. Who am I to tell you how to feel, what you want or where you want to go???  But to judge others for their feelings and types of likes and dislikes is just plain ignorant. To say you’re stupid for your judgemental comments is not very nice of me, but my opinion is that you deserve it. 

My tiny wife goes all over the city at every hour of the day, all by herself. I wake up at 6am in the city to see a note that she went for a walk an hour earlier.  I leave a show at 10pm, she wants to wander around and gets back an hour after I do.

i want you to enjoy life, not live in fear. You are at much greater risk getting to and from your vacation than you will be visiting NYC.  And again, NYC is SO much safer than Newark!  I wouldn’t let a friend stay there.

and Hoboken isn’t very safe, either.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/hoboken/crime

Edited by Nitemare

OP Hoboken is fine, it’s ok to stay at a hotel in Newark, NYC is fine... I know so many kids who go to college in Newark, some high school, plenty of people here commute to and from Newark every day. My kids have been going to Manhattan, Hoboken and Newark since they were teens (ds16 and his friends managed to get to and from Queens to a concert using public transportation late at night).

Nitemare...I am enjoying life.  Attitude changes with age, I’m not the same confident , able, strong person that I was 50 years ago. I know my limitations. I also can’t tour around on foot for 18 hours a day anymore either.   I accept this as the normal part of aging.  The dark doesn’t scare me, I just prefer to see what’s around me in a strange neighbourhood. I have no problem in cities where I’m familiar with it. I’ve had no problem my whole life in NYC or Newark, and I have been out after dark.  There’s always people around in NYC, I feel safe being among them. Toronto, Montreal, Miami...same thing.   
Everyone  is different and should be respected for their views and abilities.  You and your wife can travel anyway you want, and so can I.  I’m very happy that I’ve always been safe and hope it continues with my health too.  Live and let live.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

OP Hoboken is fine, it’s ok to stay at a hotel in Newark, NYC is fine... I know so many kids who go to college in Newark, some high school, plenty of people here commute to and from Newark every day. My kids have been going to Manhattan, Hoboken and Newark since they were teens (ds16 and his friends managed to get to and from Queens to a concert using public transportation late at night).

I think it’s fine, too. Young kids have alot of energy and aren’t afraid of threats given their bravado.  I was young once and nothing bothered me, no matter the hour. My friends and I were ready to take on the world.  Things change and now I give way to the young and brave!! My brain is young at heart, but the rest of me acts my age!!  I love the young people for their enthusiasm and energy..it warms my heart to relive the memories.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Newark certainly has problems but it is not necessary to associate Hoboken with it in your attempt to make your point, whatever that may be.

Point is obvious in that the traveler is going to Hoboken while being concerned about NYC, which is safer.