Beverage package $ increase

13 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I got an email from RC that stated:

Indulge, your beverage options are endless! Then said classic soda package was 30% off and bundle with voom and it was 30% off. When I go to order, it's the same price. The email doesn't give any discount or promo code to use. Anyone???

That's the discount off the "on board price" not the discount off the price they were charging last week.

• Like 1

Royal is testing to see what the market will bear.  I have seen higher prices but then I've also seen them drop to 2016 levels for a spell, sometimes even lower.

Like going to an auction, know your price limit and when it is above your limit don't buy it.  Keep on checking often though and not just when a "sale" is announced.  The emails are just designed to get people to visit the cruise planner and hope you might see something while there.  Maybe an excursion, maybe a specialty dinner.  

If you buy check frequently for price drops.

On 1/19/2020 at 11:10 AM, canadian girl 77 said:

We were on the Oasis the summer of 2018. We have another cruise on the Oasis booked for March 2020. DH and I had the Deluxe Beverage Package. We paid $489 CDN each for the trip. We bought DD to Refreshment package for $188 CDN.

I'm having sticker shock. The prices have increased so much. The Deluxe Beverage Package is $714 CDN each now. Refreshment package for DD is $308 CDN.

I get inflation. It has been almost two years. But in the case, the refreshment package has increased 64%. The Deluxe Beverage Package has increased 46%.

I'm pretty sure DH is going to want to get the Deluxe package regardless but there is no way DD will drink $308 worth of beverages.

Royal raised their drink package prices starting in 2019.  On board prices from 2018 to 2019:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8922

Then for 2020 cruises, people are stating on a website that can't be named here that onboard prices went up again. From what I've read:

For the deluxe package: Onboard pricing is currently  $63.00 - $89.00/per day for 2019-2020 sailings.

Refreshment package: Onboard pricing is currently $29.00 - $38.00/per day for 2019-2020 sailings.

Classic soda package: Onboard pricing is currently $12.99 - $15.00/per day for 2019-2020 sailings

To sum up: Deluxe has gone from as low as $57 to as high as $89 for 2020. The Refreshment went from $26 to as high as $38 for 2020. All prices are USD. I'm too lazy to do currency conversion

Those are on-board prices. Cruise Planner prices may be lower and will vary based on ship, itinerary, time of year and perhaps the phase of the moon and the price of pork bellies. 

Working against you: March is prime spring break and the Oasis is newly ampd', both of which will command top dollar.

Keeping checking. Finger-crossed, there may be a last minute price drop.  Good luck.

7 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

Or we're just a bunch of suckers willing to play?  

It's a proven fact when people are willing to pay thousands for a few hours in a Cabana and When they buy a drink package at the high price waiting for it to come down.  There is no reason for the price to come down when people are willing to pay the higher price. The onboard price is a mystery just so they can throw out some percent off number and  people in jump to pay it.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

Odd question but I called to ask about the Deluxe Drink Package and if I order it by phone both adults in the cabin don't have to purchase it but if I order it online we do. My question is.... I am the drinker and my husband really is not. He could do 1-2 a day and be good. If I purchase and randomly give him one of mine, it that acceptable?

4 minutes ago, Gettin Married said:

Odd question but I called to ask about the Deluxe Drink Package and if I order it by phone both adults in the cabin don't have to purchase it but if I order it online we do. My question is.... I am the drinker and my husband really is not. He could do 1-2 a day and be good. If I purchase and randomly give him one of mine, it that acceptable?

No, that would be breaking the rules and you would be subject to cancellation of your package with no refund.  Sharing is the reason we now are forced to buy a package for everyone in the stateroom.

• Like 2

If you call you can purchase for just one. It's not required to purchase for both unless you do it online but even then you can call and get that adjusted. I guess I will buy one for myself and if my husband wants one or two drinks that's way cheaper than buying him the package.

22 minutes ago, Gettin Married said:

If you call you can purchase for just one. It's not required to purchase for both unless you do it online but even then you can call and get that adjusted. I guess I will buy one for myself and if my husband wants one or two drinks that's way cheaper than buying him the package.

Normally, you are still required to buy at least the soda package for the other adult in the stateroom. So if you call they’ll allow one adult to get the alcohol package as long as the other gets a refreshment or soda package. 

3 hours ago, Yorkiegirl3 said:

Normally, you are still required to buy at least the soda package for the other adult in the stateroom. So if you call they’ll allow one adult to get the alcohol package as long as the other gets a refreshment or soda package. 

I've only seen the Refreshment Package allowed for the second person in recent years, not the cheaper soda package.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

I've only seen the Refreshment Package allowed for the second person in recent years, not the cheaper soda package.

Same here, never the soda package pre-cruise.  However one time onboard they allowed us the soda package.

10 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

This happens because people are absolutely obsessed over "unlimited alcohol" and that value knows no limit to many. People would lose their mind over a $500 bar bill but $1000 to "not worry about the bill" is worth double the price.

Haven’t had a $500 bar bill since the 90’s. At today’s prices DW drinks at least $30 A day just for wine. On a 10 day cruise that’s $300 just for wine.

On 1/19/2020 at 8:10 AM, canadian girl 77 said:

We were on the Oasis the summer of 2018. We have another cruise on the Oasis booked for March 2020. DH and I had the Deluxe Beverage Package. We paid $489 CDN each for the trip. We bought DD to Refreshment package for $188 CDN.

I'm having sticker shock. The prices have increased so much. The Deluxe Beverage Package is $714 CDN each now. Refreshment package for DD is $308 CDN.

I get inflation. It has been almost two years. But in the case, the refreshment package has increased 64%. The Deluxe Beverage Package has increased 46%.

I'm pretty sure DH is going to want to get the Deluxe package regardless but there is no way DD will drink $308 worth of beverages.

We are looking at the refreshment package too mine continues to be $240 cdn each (total with grat) For our LOS cruise March 2020. They added a banner that says “30% off on-board prices”. The package isn’t changing in price ... so not really on sale just stating it’s cheaper than on-board? I’ve been watching every day and the price doesn’t seem to change. Not sure I can drink enough pop, non alcoholic cocktails and coffee to cover this. I tried to google some menus but the focus seems to be on the alcohol. What does a moctail cost?

12 minutes ago, CTP said:

We are looking at the refreshment package too mine continues to be $240 cdn each (total with grat) For our LOS cruise March 2020. They added a banner that says “30% off on-board prices”. The package isn’t changing in price ... so not really on sale just stating it’s cheaper than on-board? I’ve been watching every day and the price doesn’t seem to change. Not sure I can drink enough pop, non alcoholic cocktails and coffee to cover this. I tried to google some menus but the focus seems to be on the alcohol. What does a moctail cost?

Depends on what you get, but typically $5-$10 each, plus 18% gratuity.

The "sale" price on the refreshment package in the Cruise Planner is usually in the $20/day range (all my prices are in USD) with the non-sale advance price being more in the $26-$30/day (all plus 18% gratuity).  

In general, if you're going to average a foo-foo coffee, a soda-pop, and two virgin daiquiris or similar every day, you're going to come out even or better with a refreshment package.  If you also have an espresso after dinner, a fresh-squeezed OJ at breakfast, and a couple bottles of water as well, you'll definitely come out ahead with the refreshment package.

Edited by brillohead

On 1/22/2020 at 2:37 PM, grouchomarx said:

.  I like that Royal has a better per day price than Princess (at least today they do, at least on my particular cruise), that is the only real reason I was looking into it in the first place.

Not necessarily considering that Princess has their Best Sale Ever promo that includes drinks package, grats and internet for about 300 over bare bones pricing.

Royal and Carnival don't  have to package things like Princess, NCL, MSC and Celebrity to fill their cabins.  But it's  always nice to compare lines for your vacation dollar.

I have to say at $61 a day which is the current cost on my March cruise, I probably would not have purchased the package for my husband and I.  While I do enjoy the drinks, I would be trying too hard to get my money's worth.  While when we purchased at $32 that was a no brainer, as two martini's which I order would have been $30.  Upcoming cruise we lucked out on the $18 a day deal, which again we jumped on.  

On 1/22/2020 at 1:10 PM, mom2tcdx2 said:

Honestly seeing the constant changing of prices from sailing to sailing and day to day, really doesn't have me looking into Royal for future cruises.  Honestly I need to be able to budget and not knowing those prices when I book just doesn't work for us.  Really wish they would just choose a price and stick with it.  

We just budget what the current price is or the highest possible price for the drink package.  If that price doesn't work for us when added to the cruise price, we don't book the cruise.  If/when it goes down, we take advantage of the price drop and have a cheaper cruise than we had budgeted for.  Honestly, I believe this works out in our favor.  Have been very happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 6:46 AM, Clarea said:

Same here, never the soda package pre-cruise.  However one time onboard they allowed us the soda package.

My good friend wanted  to join me on my first solo try,  a week before I sailed on Adventure Feb 1 .  I added her to my itinerary and thought for sure they would make her buy at least the refreshment package (I had the 18$ special😁).  No one said anything and she was not going to volunteer, but she does not drink that much and payed for her drinks each time.