Live From the Sky Princess B2B January 25 - February 8, 2020

Woobstr112G

Good morning all.  I'm back😊.   I'm glad to be once again posting a "Live From."  It's been almost a year so I am raring to go.  Holli & I will be flying to Ft. Lauderdale early Thursday morning for a two day stay at the Lago Mar Resort before boarding the Sky Princess next Saturday for our first ever b2b cruise.  While at the resort, we plan to relax and get motivated for the upcoming voyage.  We are really looking forward to sailing on the Sky. 

I decided to start this live from thread a little early so I could report on our adventures at the resort and also to begin to compile a list of questions anyone might have. I will have enough internet minutes to post every day as I purchased the 7 day unlimited package for both cruises.  I will try and post my observations of the Sky and answer any questions asked.  I'm already on vacation so there will be no work to go back to before we leave.  In fact at the end of March, I will have a permanent vacation from work after 39 years of doing what I do. 

The last year has been quite hectic for Holli & me.  We canceled the inaugural Med-T/A cruise on the Sky due to the declining health and eventual passing of our beloved Golden Retriever Misha.  Medical issues nearly caused us to cancel this voyage up to last week so we are overjoyed that we will be sailing.  A small detractor is that since I thought we would have to cancel, I didn't really do much to get ready.  The next three days will be quite hectic trying to throw everything together.

We will be in a PH suite on Riviera deck.  I can't wait for this vacation to start and to start reporting on our adventures. 

Well, that's all for now.  Only about 89 short hours till wheels up.

Fire away with any questions you might have.....😊😊😊

Bob

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
Posters request
  • Like 9

Buon Viaggio! 😃

Hopefully both of you will enjoy the Sky as much as us. 

If you haven’t read the excellent Live posted by Colo Cruiser during our cruise it’s a great preview with many photos of what you’ll experience on the Sky.

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

Buon Viaggio! 😃

Hopefully both of you will enjoy the Sky as much as us. 

If you haven’t read the excellent Live posted by Colo Cruiser during our cruise it’s a great preview with many photos of what you’ll experience on the Sky.

I followed his live from.  Very informative and motivating.....

Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am so sorry to hear about your Golden Retriever, Misha and recent health issues.  We have gone through the loss of our goldens also and it is so hard.  Misha will forever be in your hearts.  I wish you the best of health and hope you enjoy yourselves on the Sky.  We will look forward to reading your reviews.  All the best.

• Like 1

Hi Bob,

Condolences on the death of Misha.  We are dog owners too and the loss of a pet is very sad.  Our little schnauzer stays with a friend, we swap dog boarding with another family who likes to travel too. 

i hope to meet you and Holli on board, I’m only on the first leg of the cruise.  Do you go to the PES cocktail hour?  And your suite sounds wonderful!  And well deserved!  

Carole ,

• Like 1

My condolences on your loss; I remember you posted a photo or two of Misha in the past, who was simply adorable.   

Looking forward to the Live.   Good luck with your last-minute cruise prep -- been there; done that.  Thank god for the 17th Street Walgreen's is all I can say!

4 hours ago, sunsetbeachgal said:

Hi Bob,

Condolences on the death of Misha.  We are dog owners too and the loss of a pet is very sad.  Our little schnauzer stays with a friend, we swap dog boarding with another family who likes to travel too. 

i hope to meet you and Holli on board, I’m only on the first leg of the cruise.  Do you go to the PES cocktail hour?  And your suite sounds wonderful!  And well deserved!  

Carole ,

Looking forward to meeting you as well......😊😊😊

Bob

So sorry to hear about the passing of Misha . It sound like a couple of great cruises ahead . We also stayed at the Lago Mar several years ago . We had a great suite there and you could see the parade of ships coming in early in the morning . We could see the ships from the balcony but we just walked down the beach to watch the ships go out in the afternoon . Have a great cruise !

IMG_436220Stitch-001_zpshwxhlbpa.jpg

IMG_4399-001_zpsjevegcv9.jpg

IMG_4401_zpsvtsnvnab.jpg

Letting the cameras acclimate .

DSC08072_zpsxiztox7k.jpg

IMG_4409_zpsovxhb9s1.jpg

• Like 1

Good morning all from Palmdale Ca.  Only 73 hours till wheels up for Florida.  Today is my packing day.  Have to run to the cleaners before I start so I'll probably start around 0800 or so.  Usually takes me two to three hours so it's not too bad.  

Holli has a couple of appointments today and then she will probably do some packing.  As far as her packing goes, I learned long ago to only get involved when she asks me if I have any addition space in my bags because she ran out of space😉.

Let's talk about the Sky for a moment.  This is my first time back on a Royal class ship since 2013.  I am very much looking forward to the additions they made between the Royal (2013) and the Sky next week.  I really like the fresh look of the cabins and public areas of the ship.  I really want to try out Le Mer as well as the Al Fresco dining area outside Alfredos.  While I am a little down on the demise of Crooners, I'm sure Take Five will serve as an acceptable replacement.  The aft pool addition is something I am also looking forward to.  

One thing I'm really looking forward to is using my recently purchased Canon 90D to take a ton of pictures of the Sky and of the various ports we visit.  

Well that's all for now.  As departure gets closer, I really start to get excited.  I also, as indicated by the time I am posting this, don't get too much sleep due to the excitement building.

Hope all are well.....😊😊😊

Bob

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

So sorry to hear about the passing of Misha . It sound like a couple of great cruises ahead . We also stayed at the Lago Mar several years ago . We had a great suite there and you could see the parade of ships coming in early in the morning . We could see the ships from the balcony but we just walked down the beach to watch the ships go out in the afternoon . Have a great cruise !

IMG_436220Stitch-001_zpshwxhlbpa.jpg

Thanks for the great pictures and video.  I'm really looking forward to trying my new camera out for this cruise.  One question, what is the purpose of acclimating the cameras?

Bob

1 hour ago, Woobstr112G said:

Thanks for the great pictures and video.  I'm really looking forward to trying my new camera out for this cruise.  One question, what is the purpose of acclimating the cameras?

Bob

Love the sound of those words new camera ! There was quite a difference between the inside temp and humidity and the outside temp resulting in fogging . I knew that we were going to shoot outside and it was no longer foggy after a few minutes . I always carry those soft lens cloth to help with the fogging or salt accumulation . Our next cruise will be the Regal Princess TA B2B in 3 months . We will be enjoying your cruise through your thread in the mean time so thanks Bob and Holli .

😎

19 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Love the sound of those words new camera ! There was quite a difference between the inside temp and humidity and the outside temp resulting in fogging . I knew that we were going to shoot outside and it was no longer foggy after a few minutes . I always carry those soft lens cloth to help with the fogging or salt accumulation . Our next cruise will be the Regal Princess TA B2B in 3 months . We will be enjoying your cruise through your thread in the mean time so thanks Bob and Holli .

😎

Got it, makes perfect sense.  I'm really looking forward to getting to use my 90D. I waited a number of years for Canon to release it.....😊😊😊

Bob 

29 minutes ago, Woobstr112G said:

Got it, makes perfect sense.  I'm really looking forward to getting to use my 90D. I waited a number of years for Canon to release it.....😊😊😊

Bob 

I just looked at it on DPReview ,  32.5 mp , 1/8,000 shutter speed and 4K . It looks very cool . Happy shooting !

Hello Bob

I have read some of your past reviews and you do a good job with both your reporting and your photos !

I realize that you and Holli are experienced travelers, but in reading about your packing plans, a thought came to mind.

Have you considered cross packing your luggage ? My DH andI usually take a large and a medium suitcase along with two carry-on bags. This is how we roll ( no pun intended!)no matter the length of cruise or vacation whenever a flight is involved.

By packing each other’s items in both suitcases, we are assured of some clothing if one  of the bags is mis-directed. Now, if both bags are lost, we each have a change of clothes packed in one of the carry-ones. This may seem a bit of over-planning, but it is kind of simple and has worked for us for many years - just a thought.

We are looking forward to your postings about the Sky as we are booked for a repositioning cruise from NYC to FLL this coming November. Reading reports from CC members are making us really look forward to our time on the ship.

I hope you have an enjoyable vacation !

Bon Voyage !

Bob, how nice to have your Live From to follow!!  Phil and I are on the Sky in May/June for the Baltics and I'm looking forward to your impressions of the cruise...especially the martinis!!  😉 

I am so sorry to hear about Misha.  Please give Holli my condolences.  Its very hard to lose such a beloved member of the family.