4K CABINS

smarks

Not only are the doors not welded shut they have been entirely removed and replaced with one large window on the ships that have been converted. I have heard there may be one Spirit Class ship that needs 4k conversion but I do not know which. They were a great bargain.

2 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Not only are the doors not welded shut they have been entirely removed and replaced with one large window on the ships that have been converted. I have heard there may be one Spirit Class ship that needs 4k conversion but I do not know which. They were a great bargain.

So now there are windows?  Do they open?  I would prefer the doors that opened. 

The doors on the Legend were replaced with windows a while ago. Spirit was supposed to have the same treatment when in dry dock but they ran out of time. Not sure if they have got around to doing it yet. Hope not as we have several cruises booked in a 4k on the Spirit, including Vancouver to Brisbane in October.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sanmarcosman said:

I agree, we sailed in 4ks  5 times and always between lifeboats for a decent view. I never did read the reason why the decision was made. Good memories. 

We too have sailed in them 2 or 3 times.  Loved the value and the fact that we could open the door to get in some fresh air and also get a view.  Not sure if I would consider booking them now.  I guess if it still similar in price to an inside but with a big window it would still be worth it.

1 minute ago, nissach said:

We too have sailed in them 2 or 3 times.  Loved the value and the fact that we could open the door to get in some fresh air and also get a view.  Not sure if I would consider booking them now.  I guess if it still similar in price to an inside but with a big window it would still be worth it.

The cabins have the couch and coffee table just as the balcony cabins do so that's still a plus over a standard interior.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

The cabins have the couch and coffee table just as the balcony cabins do so that's still a plus over a standard interior.

This was my main reason. Couldn’t find one between lifeboats so no view. If the doors still open for fresh air, well, we will be in Alaska, may not do it much. A couch and a table is worth it to me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wardamnweagle said:

This was my main reason. Couldn’t find one between lifeboats so no view. If the doors still open for fresh air, well, we will be in Alaska, may not do it much. A couch and a table is worth it to me. 

As said earlier the doors have been removed and a non-opening window has taken their place.

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

As said earlier the doors have been removed and a non-opening window has taken their place.

Also as said earlier, they ran out of time while refitting the Spirit, which I sail on in 3 months. 🙃

Edited by wardamnweagle

They've been  replaced with a floor to ceiling window. We were upset with the change because we had already booked the cabin before the change was announced (Pride). However, we really liked the window. Sure, we missed the option of opening the door, but the windows are huge and let in so much light.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I booked the Legend final Med/TA B2B for October because I'd always wanted a 4K cabin.  And THEN I discovered that the doors had been replaced.  Have a cabin with a great view between the lifeboats, too.

Personally, if I can't book a balcony (and usually, as a solo, I don't just to keep costs down), I actually prefer inside cabins.  I don't need "natural light" because it just wakes me the second the sky begins to even think about getting light!  Since I tend to stay up later when I sail, waking that early every day is no fun.

Oh well!  I'll still enjoy those 26 days on board!

On 1/19/2020 at 5:14 PM, sanmarcosman said:

Thank you for that information.  Much appreciated.