Trying to outweigh if it's worth the cost

Tntt

I'm trying to outweigh if it is worth purchasing the soda package or just buying sodas as needed. We are going on 7nt cruise on harmony soon and for a family of 4 it will cost over 300.00 for a soda package for all of us .....  we normally are juice and water drinkers and my spouse is the only one that really drinks sodas but i just dont see us drinking 300.00 worth of soda... just seeking advice on what to do should I buy the soda package anyway or would it be a waste of money?

1 minute ago, Tntt said:

I'm trying to outweigh if it is worth purchasing the soda package or just buying sodas as needed. We are going on 7nt cruise on harmony soon and for a family of 4 it will cost over 300.00 for a soda package for all of us .....  we normally are juice and water drinkers and my spouse is the only one that really drinks sodas but i just dont see us drinking 300.00 worth of soda... just seeking advice on what to do should I buy the soda package anyway or would it be a waste of money?

why don't you just get the soda package for your wife. Everyone else can get the drinks that are included in your cruise fare, water, flavoured water , coffee, tea, white and chocolate milk

You can bring 12 cans on board with you. If you are looking to avoid that kind of a bill, remember the Windjammer has flavored water for free and the ships water is ok to drink as well. Brink a couple of cold storage drink containers with you and fill up as needed. 

You need to weigh for yourself if it's worth it based on your consumption.  A lot of times people end up buying it and then trying to make sure they drink enough to pay for it.  We prefer to just buy as we go and we never spend as much.  Some people do though.  Sounds like only your wife needs the soda package though.

• Like 1

You can also bring an unlimited supply of those little Crystal Light packets.  Bring on your 12 sodas and then go to town with the packets.  You can also get your soda fix in port.  I'm as addicted as anyone and I find I can "survive" without the soda package.

We're a family of four too--the expense just gets ridiculous!

Why would you buy four packages if not all four of you drink soda?  If only one of you would make use of it, just get a soda package for that one person.

Also, if you're in two different rooms, each room can bring 12 cans/bottles of soda on board.  

• Like 1

Unlike the Deluxe Beverage Pkg, you don't have to buy a soda pkg for everyone.  I drink soda at home but only bought 1 can on my recent cruise.  I was happy with lemonade and water all week.  My bet is you'll find the included beverages to be sufficient when you think of how many 2L bottles you can buy back home with that $4.  Hubs on the other hand, we bought him a pkg as vacation is not the time to cold-turkey a caffeine addiction.  Get 1 pkg for your spouse.

It used to be that you could order 6, 12 or 24 cans for the minibar in your room. The price per can got cheaper the bigger the pack you ordered and was cheaper than the price at the bars. This option was still available when I sailed on Serenade in December 2017 but I don't know if it still is. 

When is your cruise?   Asking because they had an amazing Black Friday /cyber Monday deal for soda at $6/day.   The soda package will give you a freestyle cup and access to fountain soda at bars.

if I were you - I would use the carry on amount to bring something the 3 of you would like (the 13 bottles don’t have to be the same - could be water, soda, juice) and buy her the package.  And watch for sales on the package!!  You definitely might get lucky if you have some big sales holidays between now and then!! 

The words "unlimited" and "vacation" make us think differently. I would never spend $300 on something that not everyone wants, and can be brought on for $15. Even if you end up buying a few, let's say you spend $100 total. I'd pass. Hard.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MaritimeR&R said:

You can bring 12 cans on board with you. If you are looking to avoid that kind of a bill, remember the Windjammer has flavored water for free and the ships water is ok to drink as well. Brink a couple of cold storage drink containers with you and fill up as needed. 

And if in two cabins  you can bring 12 cans per cabin.

13 hours ago, FionaMG said:

It used to be that you could order 6, 12 or 24 cans for the minibar in your room. The price per can got cheaper the bigger the pack you ordered and was cheaper than the price at the bars. This option was still available when I sailed on Serenade in December 2017 but I don't know if it still is. 

The order form is hanging in my room on Rhapsody now. 40 bucks for 24 cans. 

2 hours ago, dodgestang said:

Family of four?  2 Adults, 2 kids......buy adult beverage package for adults, give freestyle cups to the kids 😉

Sharing a drink package can get your package revoked and you get to pay for all drinks on top of that.  If kids used only the Freestyle machines they won't get caught but if they present the cup at a bar they may be asked for their cruise card.

OP isn't looking for alcohol packages and only one member of the family drinks much soda.  Soda package for one makes sense if they drink more than two sodas a day.  

10 hours ago, Courcelles said:

The order form is hanging in my room on Rhapsody now. 40 bucks for 24 cans. 

Good to know, thanks. The price point makes it a good option if you don't drink enough to break even with the package.