Princess Cruise "Secrets" 2020

barbpretz

37 minutes ago, tipofthehook said:

In the main dining room, you can request anchovies to come with  the Caesar salad. 

Yup, i always ask for extra anchovies. I have caesar salad every night. I have gotten as few as 2 and as many at 8. 

On 1/19/2020 at 6:45 PM, MamaFej said:

I've learned that, on Celebrity, I can request a small bowl of mixed berries for dessert, rather than something from the menu. Does anyone know if I could do that on Princess as well?

You can make the request; however, it depends on availability. Most of the time, they will just have strawberries. On a few occasions, they may have blueberries mixed in but that's not the norm.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2020 at 7:33 PM, Thrak said:

I don't think I've ever seen this one here in any of the "secrets" threads. Elevators: If you hear a single "Ding!" the elevator is going UP. If you hear a "Ding Dong" the elevator is going DOWN.

This is also true for elevators on land.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:45 PM, Olentangy said:

The carpet on each side of the ship is different colored.  That can help if you take the stairs,  which we always do,  and end up confused about where you are !!

Not on all Princess ships anymore.

On 1/23/2020 at 3:50 PM, billco said:

When booking a cruise on the Princess website, Obstructed Oceanview, Obstructed Balcony, and Obstructed Deluxe Balcony are often listed under Interior.

Obstructed Oceanview is listed under Interior.

Obstructed balconies are listed under Oceanview.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Obstructed Oceanview is listed under Interior.

Obstructed balconies are listed under Oceanview.

I think it varies from ship to ship. This was helpful in choosing cabins for upcoming bookings.

Here are screenshots of Sky Princess and Crown Princess.

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 6.02.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 6.00.52 AM.png

Edited by billco
  • Like 1

If you are on a Medallion class ship, the first drink you order THROUGH THE APP is free (do not walk up to the bar and ask for a free drink - that's not how it works!) Also if you want to use the app feature where you can chat with your sailing mates and track them on the ship, you'll have to download a separate app (Ocean Compass). Don't toss your medallion after the cruise! It's magnetic so you can remove it from the plastic case and stick it on your fridge as a reminder of your (hopefully) wonderful vacation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've learned that, on Celebrity, I can request a small bowl of mixed berries for dessert, rather than something from the menu. Does anyone know if I could do that on Princess as well?

Oh yeah!! Mixed berries with cream for breakfast. Delicious!! Not on the menu, but they've never been available for the whole cruise. When the supply gets low, they won't let you have them any more. If "everyone" asks for them, we'd be cut off even faster.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

If you are on a Medallion class ship, the first drink you order THROUGH THE APP is free (do not walk up to the bar and ask for a free drink - that's not how it works!) Also if you want to use the app feature where you can chat with your sailing mates and track them on the ship, you'll have to download a separate app (Ocean Compass). Don't toss your medallion after the cruise! It's magnetic so you can remove it from the plastic case and stick it on your fridge as a reminder of your (hopefully) wonderful vacation. 

Do u need your smart phone to this ? 

7 hours ago, camper49 said:

Yes, but you'll be able to connect to the ship's wifi (you put your phone in airplane mode and then connect through the app to the wifi) and then you'll be able to place your order. Just don't leave wherever you are when you place the order or it will take longer for the server to find you! I have an android and I did find I had some connection issues with the app; my husband and our traveling companions all had iPhones and they had no problem connecting to the wifi and using the app. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Yes, but you'll be able to connect to the ship's wifi (you put your phone in airplane mode and then connect through the app to the wifi) and then you'll be able to place your order. Just don't leave wherever you are when you place the order or it will take longer for the server to find you! I have an android and I did find I had some connection issues with the app; my husband and our traveling companions all had iPhones and they had no problem connecting to the wifi and using the app. 

If you have a tablet that is supported, you can use that as well.  I have an Android phone and never had a problem using the App.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginnyfyr said:

2 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

If you have a tablet that is supported, you can use that as well.  I have an Android phone and never had a problem using the App.

I wouldn't be too surprised to find it varies by which version of Android you are using. Older devices with older versions of Android may well have some issues. The most current version is 10 - the first version to use a number without a dessert themed name. Android 9 was called Pie but the newest version is simply 10.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Hubby still has a flip phone 🤦‍♀️

Can I use my I phone for both of us??

Thanks, @vampiress for inspiring me to ask. 

We have done this on the Pacific and recently on the Star, the berries are lovely!

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2020 at 8:33 PM, Thrak said:

I don't think I've ever seen this one here in any of the "secrets" threads. Elevators: If you hear a single "Ding!" the elevator is going UP. If you hear a "Ding Dong" the elevator is going DOWN.  I'm always amazed at how many people rush over to an elevator when they hear a sound only to be disappointed when they see the indicator pointing the wrong way. If you listen to the sound you will know in advance which way the car is headed.

You may be a good candidate for Elevator Roulette onboard.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, camper49 said:

Hubby still has a flip phone 🤦‍♀️

Can I use my I phone for both of us??

Yes, you will just need to login the app as your hubby . The app does not care what device is being used just whose logged in. Same concept as unlimited internet for one device. It is not limited to just that 'one' device, just one device at a time being logged on. So sharing is possible, you just can't be using at same time. If using medallion app on your phone/tablet/device you are logged in as one person at a time.

Also just  found out on my last sailing on Royal, your Medallion can be programmed to open 2 cabins. So families or friends wanting to give access to others do not need to get 'pass' card key as in the past.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2020 at 10:09 AM, Ginnyfyr said:

Or using the appropriate screen on the TV. However, when we did that I was charged, but a quick phone call to the pursor's office got that charge removed. Nice convenient way or ordering, we used it a couple of times for our pre-dinner cocktail.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:45 AM, camper49 said:

I believe so, otherwise you could not run the required app. But you can also use the TV in your cabin to take advantage of the first drink free; that's what we did. The phones were in our safe, turned OFF.

Edited by PaperSniper4

On 1/26/2020 at 7:58 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Coral’s photo of blueberries on carpet. (Appear Dark green in photo)

8BE43309-E8AB-4D7A-9662-1B35A1FD4F68.png

I found this pretty useless on the Crown.  My vision isn’t great and I had to walk so close to determine what color those tiny dots were that I could read the sign on the wall.