Princess VS Celebrity in Alaska

Sunshine42794

I’m looking to book a Southbound Alaskan cruise on Princess (Coral) OR on Celebrity (Millennium).....I have never cruised with either so I’m just looking for some input on both.....there will be about 8 of us going ages ranging from 21 to 55.  Thanks 

I haven’t been yet, but from reading this forum for the last year or so, I know the correct answer is the one with Glacier Bay. 😉 The itinerary looks to be the same apart from that. Is the price about the same between the two?

27 minutes ago, Sunshine42794 said:

Celebrity is about $600 less per cabin with the same type of “deal” which included WiFi, gratuities drink package plus $150 OBC......

We booked Celebrity roundtrip from Vancouver.  We also looked at Princess.  Just a word about the "deal."  OBC on Celebrity is $150 PER PERSON, so $300 per cabin.  Also, and this might not factor in,  Celebrity Drink Package is unlimited.  And if you purchase a drink that's over the max price ($15),  you only pay the difference plus tip.  So if you order a $20 glass of wine you pay $5 plus tip.  On Princess you are limited to 15 drinks per day, and that includes specialty coffee, water, sodas, as well as drinks.  Plus if you order a drink over the max ($12), you pay the ENTIRE amount of the drink.  So a $20 glass of wine will cost you $20 plus tip.

Now, that may not be a factor at all.  But for comparison pricing, Celebrity was a much better deal for us.  

13 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

We booked Celebrity roundtrip from Vancouver.  We also looked at Princess.  Just a word about the "deal."  OBC on Celebrity is $150 PER PERSON, so $300 per cabin.  Also, and this might not factor in,  Celebrity Drink Package is unlimited.  And if you purchase a drink that's over the max price ($15),  you only pay the difference plus tip.  So if you order a $20 glass of wine you pay $5 plus tip.  On Princess you are limited to 15 drinks per day, and that includes specialty coffee, water, sodas, as well as drinks.  Plus if you order a drink over the max ($12), you pay the ENTIRE amount of the drink.  So a $20 glass of wine will cost you $20 plus tip.

Now, that may not be a factor at all.  But for comparison pricing, Celebrity was a much better deal for us.  

This is not exactly correct. You are only limited in alcoholic drinks per day (not non-alcoholic drinks). 

• Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.). 
  • Non-alcoholic drinks do NOT have this limitation nor do they count toward this maximum.

Honestly - who needs more than 15 alcoholic drinks per day? Princess's drink prices are way lower than Celebrity's. Heck, everything onboard is cheaper on Princess compared to Celebrity.

Princess goes to Glacier Bay. This is huge. Princess also allows agents to discount the cost of the cruise off the top.

Edited by Coral

46 minutes ago, Coral said:

This is not exactly correct. You are only limited in alcoholic drinks per day (not non-alcoholic drinks). 

• Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.). 
  • Non-alcoholic drinks do NOT have this limitation nor do they count toward this maximum.

Honestly - who needs more than 15 alcoholic drinks per day? Princess's drink prices are way lower than Celebrity's. Heck, everything onboard is cheaper on Princess compared to Celebrity.

Princess goes to Glacier Bay. This is huge. Princess also allows agents to discount the cost of the cruise off the top.

I agree 15 drinks is quite a bit in one day 🙂. Do you know if the tips are also included in the Celebrity drink package??  We did a Drink package on Royal but we had to pay the “gratuities” and I see Princess says “tips included” on their drink package.  

55 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sunshine42794 said:

Celebrity is about $600 less per cabin with the same type of “deal” which included WiFi, gratuities drink package plus $150 OBC......

Oh, for 8 people, that's enough of a price difference that I'd consider it, especially if you think you might have opportunity to go back at some point.

7 hours ago, Sunshine42794 said:

I agree 15 drinks is quite a bit in one day 🙂. Do you know if the tips are also included in the Celebrity drink package??  We did a Drink package on Royal but we had to pay the “gratuities” and I see Princess says “tips included” on their drink package.  

They (Celebrity) add a daily surcharge. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4540/  

Princess does not (yet).

Edited by Coral

Definitely look at the times in port. For example - everyone complains about the 2-10 pm time in Juneau as it really limits what you can do.

Princess's one ways has 2 glacier days and great times in port (except for Ketchikan which is fine as it is my least favorite). Most lines have 1 glacier day except for HAL which also does 2 on several itineraries. I haven't looked at other people's schedules this year.

Edited by Coral

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

Definitely look at the times in port. For example - everyone complains about the 2-10 pm time in Juneau as it really limits what you can do.

Princess's one ways has 2 glacier days and great times in port (except for Ketchikan which is fine as it is my least favorite). Most lines have 1 glacier day except for HAL which also does 2 on several itineraries. I haven't looked at other people's schedules this year.

I’ve decided to go with Princess 😊. Thanks to all for your input!!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 7:31 AM, Coral said:

Excellent.  Thanks for the correction!!!  I was unaware of this policy.  We are on a New Year's Princess Cruise this year that includes the 3 perks.  Good to know.  And I agree that 15 alcoholic drinks a day is more than sufficient...but may test that theory New Year's Eve.  😜

On 1/20/2020 at 12:06 PM, Coral said:

They (Celebrity) add a daily surcharge. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4540/  

Princess does not (yet).

In the interest of up-to-date information the "daily surcharge" idea mentioned by "Coral" the was briefly floated by Celebrity and very, very quickly abandoned.  The proposed surcharge was on the Classic Beverage Package when the CBP was selected as a perk (as opposed by purchasing it), but not on the Premium Beverage Package (when either offered as a perk or purchased).  Celebrity dropped this idea within days of its proposal.  It was stunning how fast management they realized the error of their ways as apparently they received a tremendous amount of negative feedback from travel agents.

4 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

In the interest of up-to-date information the "daily surcharge" idea mentioned by "Coral" the was briefly floated by Celebrity and very, very quickly abandoned.  The proposed surcharge was on the Classic Beverage Package when the CBP was selected as a perk (as opposed by purchasing it), but not on the Premium Beverage Package (when either offered as a perk or purchased).  Celebrity dropped this idea within days of its proposal.  It was stunning how fast management they realized the error of their ways as apparently they received a tremendous amount of negative feedback from travel agents.

Thanks for the update!