Use Reynaldo Romero - Corinto, Nicaragua

Freyward_Cruiser

A group of four of us (2 ladies in their 60s, and 2 men in their 30s) traveled on a Panama Canal Cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line (fantastic cruise experience). One of our ports of call was Corinto, Nicaragua. We were there on Feb. 22, 2019. There was not much material online about organized tours outside of what the cruise ship offers. I like to research all my options and make an informed decision. Don't get me wrong, sometimes the "convenience, safety, and time issues" factor prompts me to use the cruise tours.

In my research on Corinto and Nicaragua, I came across several reviews/posts about using a local guide named Reynaldo Romero. He has great feedback online and is highly spoken of. He has an email, but no website. I'll admit I was a little skeptical, but I shot him an email anyway.

>>> His email is corintotour@outlook.com <<<

He responded promptly with several suggestions as to what we could do with our one day in Nicaragua. He answered all my subsequent questions (there were a few) without delay and in good, easygoing spirit. We finally settled on a itinerary, a price (we didn't have to pay until we got back to the cruise port after the tour), and a meeting place with a time.

He greeted us at the port gate at the time we agreed with a sign that said our name. Super friendly and immediately gathered us together and got us to an air conditioned van, it was hot out! By the way, it was us 4, 8 other tourists, Rey, and our driver... He gave us a small run down of the itinerary and we were off!

This is what we did... we drove to a town called El Viejo. All along the drive Rey pointed out what we were seeing and gave us a wealth of information about his country. He is a very talkative and friendly guide! He can answer almost any question you ask him too. Over the course of the day, we really felt like we got to know how he lives. Once in El Viejo, we stopped at Basilica Imaculada Concepcion de Maria, super pretty! Then we walked a few blocks to a family bakery and got to try rosquillas and rosquetes... yum! He bought some for the van to eat on the way to our next stop, a peanut field... why? The view of the volcanoes is incredible! Then we went on to León (a lot of the cruise tours just go here for more than what we paid for all day)... Rey took us to the top of the cathedral, they just let you walk all over the roof! Amazing, amazing views! (Definitely do this if you can!) Lunch at a great spot recommended by Rey, he ate with us. Then we walked around the market behind the church... lots of sounds, smells and things to buy! On the ride back to port we got to know Rey even more and learned more info than I could repeat. We stopped by a papaya farm, the fruit is so delicious. We also got to ride around Corinto as we had time. Rey also stopped at a store and those who wanted Nicaraguan coffee got out and went shopping with him! (Honestly if you want a specific souvenir, he will do his best to get you it!)

Got us to the port with plenty of time! We honestly had such a wonderful day getting glimpses of Nicaragua with many varied experiences. Rey was a superb guide who loves his country and is super knowledgeable and friendly. His experience as a guide really shows. If you want to make the most of your day in Corinto I highly, highly recommend using Reynaldo Romero! E-mail him!

>>> His email is corintotour@outlook.com <<<

PLEASE NOTE: If you see this review on TripAdvisor it is because I wrote this exact review there as well... but I thought I would put it up here on Cruise Critic as well!

CanalCruise01377MM.jpg

CanalCruise01387MM.jpg

CanalCruise01422MM.jpg

CanalCruise01473MM.jpg

DSCN0180MM.jpg

Edited by Freyward_Cruiser

8 hours ago, Freyward_Cruiser said:

Rey took us to the top of the cathedral, they just let you walk all over the roof! Amazing, amazing views! (Definitely do this if you can!)

Glad you had a great time on this private tour. I agree that getting to walk on the roof of the Cathedral in Leon is a special experience. I see from your photos that you had shoes on.  In 2017, when I was there, visitors were required to remove their shoes before walking on the roof.  Just curious as to whether this has changed — was there no such requirement when you visited? 

• 5 weeks later...