Caribbean in September/October

kazzam

Hi all, has anyone cruised the Caribbean in September/October?  What is the weather like.  The cruises are so much cheaper (due to hurricane season I'm told).  To put it into perspective, it's $2194 in June and $1242 in September - that's a big difference, making me concerned.

This is going to be a bucket list holiday for me, so I would hate to get all the way over there and spend so much money only for the weather to be horrid.  I like it hot and sunny!

Any advice either way would be great.  Thanks

7 minutes ago, kazzam said:

Hi all, has anyone cruised the Caribbean in September/October?  What is the weather like.  The cruises are so much cheaper (due to hurricane season I'm told).  To put it into perspective, it's $2194 in June and $1242 in September - that's a big difference, making me concerned.

This is going to be a bucket list holiday for me, so I would hate to get all the way over there and spend so much money only for the weather to be horrid.  I like it hot and sunny!

Any advice either way would be great.  Thanks

That time of year it will certainly be hot and sunny in the Caribbean...but as you noted it is hurricane season.  

We have sailed this time of year a number of times, but just know that the cruiseline will do all it can to keep you away from any storms. This may involve changing your itinerary or even skipping some ports but whatever they have to do they will keep you safe and give you the best cruise possible.  

Just be flexible if there are changes and you will be fine...

• Like 1

I LOVE vacation in September and October and have done one for the past 6 years now without being impacted by weather. It is much cheaper and there are less kids. The weather is still great. You do run a higher risk of hurricanes. If you see how many cruises are affected by one, it's minuscule. It's probably not the time of year for an itinerary you are dead set on, because it might reroute.

Aside from hurricanes (whose season runs from June through November) the weather in the Caribbean is pretty consistent: always warm-to-hot and generally humid.  The Caribbean is a large area - so if there is a hurricane your itinerary will be adjusted to avoid as much as possible being impacted. The fact is: most of the time there is no hurricane in any given area.  Finally, the primary reason the fares are lower in September than June (both hurricane months, although there is somewhat more activity to be considered in September),  is schools are in session in September and October - which strictly limits family cruising.

I loved my first September cruise even though we changed 1 port to a lessor one, changed the sea day from last day to early and cut short 1 port in order to make up a previously skipped one (all due to tropical systems).  We still hit 5 total ports on a 6 full day cruise, were the only ship in port each stop and otherwise had great weather.  Always buy a good 3rd party trip insurance, preplan sea sickness remedies and make sure 3rd party excursions are refundable or paid when used.

6 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

I just did an RCCL cruise in September 2019 to Nassau and CocoCay. Review in signature. We had rain and wind. We made our ports but I can't say it was "hot and sunny".

This thread is about Caribbean weather in September/October - conditions in the Bahamas are usually quite different.

6 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

I just did an RCCL cruise in September 2019 to Nassau and CocoCay. Review in signature. We had rain and wind. We made our ports but I can't say it was "hot and sunny".

Agree with navybankerteacher. In fact, the Bahamas aren't even in the Caribbean. They are in the Atlantic. 

We typically cruise in Aug/Sept/Oct due to our schedules and then once in the later winter if we can.  Buying trip insurance is important of course but we go prepared for changes, hope for the best and expect the worst I guess.  So far we have had a couple of cloudy days and two rainy afternoons.  Typically we can find things to do on the ship, even if it is small, so a bit of rain isn't a huge issue for us but we have cruised before.  No matter when you cruise you have to go with a open mind, knowing it may not be perfect.