Plastic Water Bottles Being Replaced

Karemark

Just off the Vision. There are no more plastic water bottles onboard. They have been replaced by cans of Dasani with a few extra ingredients...magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, and salt. We were told this was going to be a fleet-wide change. I found the cans to taste like tin and didn't think they were refreshing. I much prefer just plain water, don't need the extra ingredients, especially salt!

• Like 4

aluminum cans have basically an unlimited number of times that they can be recycled. creating a new can is actually very energy-heavy. recycling one is very efficient. plastic bottles eventually cannot be recycled into new bottles or other times. eventually the plastic begins to degrade

But this is why at least most European countries have a deposit system for reusable(!) bottles in place and single use cans have been banned in first place because Aluminum is a limited resource and recycling requires a lot of energy and creates a lot of air pollution.  

Edited by Saab4444

It would be great if they got rid of bottled/canned water all together and just made it easy to fill your own reusable. I know people love bottles, but they are horrible. Everything that can be done to reduce useless plastic is a good thing.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Karemark said:

Just off the Vision. There are no more plastic water bottles onboard. They have been replaced by cans of Dasani with a few extra ingredients...magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, and salt. We were told this was going to be a fleet-wide change. I found the cans to taste like tin and didn't think they were refreshing. I much prefer just plain water, don't need the extra ingredients, especially salt!

Do you know what type of container sparkling water comes in?  I drink La Croix out of a can at home. It doesn't have an after taste from the can.  Drank soda from a can for years and never experienced any taste difference between a can or bottle. I do prefer a plastic bottle only because you can put the cap back on if you don't finish it a once. I can see a lot of waste with a can if you have the drink package. I for one won't be walking around with an open can. I will just dump it and get a new one since we get the drink package.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, stephiems said:

It would be great if they got rid of bottled/canned water all together and just made it easy to fill your own reusable. I know people love bottles, but they are horrible. Everything that can be done to reduce useless plastic is a good thing.

Actually, it is quite easy to use your own bottles. I’ve been doing it for years. Just fill them with a glass not the spout. You can get glasses of tap water at many different venues. If I’m staying at the venue I just drink out of the glass but use my own bottles for excursions, around the pool, etc. 

• Like 2

There is a thin lining inside cans, water,soda,beer, etc. Should not interfere with taste of product.  So it's not like drinking out an old tin can.

But cans are more environmentally friendly because they tend to be recycled versus plastic bottles which often litter the grounds and trash dumps.

Edited by crewsweeper

24 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The other issue out there is that there is a glut of plastic on the recycle market so unless it is uncontaminated and all of the same grade no one wants it.  A lot of that plastic that people put out to get recycled ends up in landfills.  

I always suspected that the recycling we do here is only to separate the garbage for the sanitation dept so they can dump it in the appropriate landfill.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

90% of liquids sold in a supermarket come in plastic containers. While switching to cans on a cruise ship might help their recycling situation it’s not going to save the planet. 

No single action is going to "save the planet", but every little bit helps.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

What a waste to purchase any water. One of the biggest scams out there. Tap water is perfectly fine.

Tell that to people in Flint and Newark and God knows where else in this crumbling infrastructure country.

Edited by Moltar
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

What a waste to purchase any water. One of the biggest scams out there. Tap water is perfectly fine.

Convenience factor.  IMO, bottles are better than cans because you can cap them, preventing spills and storing them again if you don't drink it all.

I'm not in a habit of carrying a personal bottle around with me.  When I'm thirsty, I'll go get a drink.  If I'm at work, I have an old bottle that I refill.  If I'm driving, I stop and get a new bottle. Sue me. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

No single action is going to "save the planet", but every little bit helps.

I grew up in the 70’s, a time when everything came in glass or cardboard. We can go back to this in a hot minute but they rather just eliminate plastic straws and a few water bottles just to keep the tree huggers quit. They are just being politically correct for publicity.

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Convenience factor.  IMO, bottles are better than cans because you can cap them, preventing spills and storing them again if you don't drink it all.

I'm not in a habit of carrying a personal bottle around with me.  When I'm thirsty, I'll go get a drink.  If I'm at work, I have an old bottle that I refill.  If I'm driving, I stop and get a new bottle. Sue me. 

I never said I hated the idea of water being contained and that you should drink it from a hose. Like you said, you can bring a personal bottle and fill it up. So it's beyond me why people purchase it or boast about its benefit of being free with a drink package over $1000 when you can get it without paying.

I'm surprised no one has figured out yet how to make a big industry out of bottling air and convincing people it's better. We're all such green environmentalists until you ask them to drink the water from the sea instead of being prepackaged.

45 minutes ago, Moltar said:

Tell that to people in Flint and Newark and God knows where else in this crumbling infrastructure country.

Not having access to clean water is FAR different than having access to clean water and not using it.

• Like 6