Plastic Water Bottles Being Replaced

Karemark

8 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

But this is why at least most European countries have a deposit system for reusable(!) bottles in place and single use cans have been banned in first place because Aluminum is a limited resource and recycling requires a lot of energy and creates a lot of air pollution.  

Recycling aluminum takes a LOT less energy than processing aluminum ore.

And recycled aluminum is no different than new aluminum.  Recycled plastic is NOT the same.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Karemark said:

Just off the Vision. There are no more plastic water bottles onboard. They have been replaced by cans of Dasani with a few extra ingredients...magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, and salt. We were told this was going to be a fleet-wide change. I found the cans to taste like tin and didn't think they were refreshing. I much prefer just plain water, don't need the extra ingredients, especially salt!

Just to be clear, Dasani bottled water has the same ingredients.   It is a minuscule amount.  Not anywhere near the amount to make it an electrolyte drink as someone else mentioned.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HOBE SOUND CRUISER said:

We just cruised on the Mariner Jan 13 - 17 and plastic water bottles were still used.

I also was on that sailing and can say they used plastic bottles every night at the diamond club. now I wonder if they will still let you get bottle water every night at the DC or will they remove that from the menu.

16 hours ago, lalalisa said:

Hmmm...an electrolyte drink.  Just drink the ship's water.  It's purified with no weird taste. 

Sometimes the ships water can taste like you are drinking from a rusty can. If you haven't experienced this you haven't cruised enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Sometimes the ships water can taste like you are drinking from a rusty can. If you haven't experienced this you haven't cruised enough.

I think you're right....I haven't cruised enough 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

How about just asking for a GLASS of ice water?  That would save tons of plastic AND waste metal.

With so many buying the drink packages nobody wants free water. Those who don't have the package are the passengers who are schlepping refillable bottles and asking for water at the bars. 

• Like 2

Just thinking...for breakfast I usually have coffee or cappuccino...sometimes Mimosas...

for lunch, I have a couple glasses of red wine...or three...

for dinner and happy hour...it's rum and coke or bailey's/cognac.........

Holy Moses! who needs bottled water?...😁😎🤣

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, gerif said:

Actually, it is quite easy to use your own bottles. I’ve been doing it for years. Just fill them with a glass not the spout. You can get glasses of tap water at many different venues. If I’m staying at the venue I just drink out of the glass but use my own bottles for excursions, around the pool, etc. 

It isn't really that easy. You have to use a glass and then try to tip it into your own bottle. It isn't impossible, but if they want to get rid of plastic bottles they will have to have places all around the ship which are meant specifically for it. 

Yes, right now people like you and me might do it, but for all the people who have 3 or 4 bottles a day and get the drinks package partially because of bottled water, they aren't going to want to be inconvenienced.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I grew up in the 70’s, a time when everything came in glass or cardboard. We can go back to this in a hot minute but they rather just eliminate plastic straws and a few water bottles just to keep the tree huggers quit. They are just being politically correct for publicity.

I wouldn't consider myself a tree hugger, but I have seen plenty about how plastic is ruining our oceans, and believe something needs to change. If they are making changes simply for good publicity, but in the end it gets rid of some plastic, I'm all for it.

I'd rather them put taps all around the ship specific for filling up reusable bottles alongside using cans instead of plastic bottles, but at least it is baby steps.

30 minutes ago, stephiems said:

It isn't really that easy. You have to use a glass and then try to tip it into your own bottle. It isn't impossible, but if they want to get rid of plastic bottles they will have to have places all around the ship which are meant specifically for it. 

Yes, right now people like you and me might do it, but for all the people who have 3 or 4 bottles a day and get the drinks package partially because of bottled water, they aren't going to want to be inconvenienced.

I’m talking about using wide mouth bottles that are not at all difficult to fill from a glass. Glasses of water can be obtained at any eating venue or bar and, of course, the faucet in your bathroom (that will need ice added). I started cruising about 30 years ago. To my knowledge no one was using bottled water at that time, at least not on a widespread basis. We just drank water from glasses. No one died as a result of doing this. 

14 hours ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Out of the bathroom sinks, yes.  But Lido and public areas-ex bathrooms-generally not.  What is different is that the water is NOT the same as the tap water you may be used to at home. 

I am really surprised that RCI is willing to purchase the canned water vs. the cheapest stuff they can find in a bottle aka water.

We have  been given the cheapest of cheapest bottle water when using the drink package at bars to get our bottled water.

Now mind you we have gotten back home (Ohio) a case of water on sale for $2.49 (Name of product never heard of).

I cannot believe they will lose money on a name product even if the drink package covers the cost.

I really do not want electrolyte supplemented water, if I want anything added to any drink it better be alcoholic in nature.

I will be eagerly following this thread to see where it goes,

Just saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Out of the bathroom sinks, yes.  But Lido and public areas-ex bathrooms-generally not.  What is different is that the water is NOT the same as the tap water you may be used to at home. 

How do you explain water tasting fine for 3 or 4 days and then having a strong metallic taste in the same venue? I think it's because they changed tanks but I could be wrong.

On 1/20/2020 at 8:58 AM, Iamcruzin said:

90% of liquids sold in a supermarket come in plastic containers. While switching to cans on a cruise ship might help their recycling situation it’s not going to save the planet. 

RCI is now the second line to implement this type of change - NCL moved to JUST Water, packaged in heavy paper containers lined with aluminum and using sugar-based plastics for the spout and cap.  However, that water is packaged in only one location - Glens Falls, NY.  While it's great to see this coming from my back yard, imagine the energy used for the transportation to ports.

• Like 1

Happening everywhere, way of the World:  

China will ban plastic bags, disposable tableware and single-use straws by the end of the year to reduce waste. Restaurants must stop serving straws by the end of this year and reduce total usage of single-use plastics by 30 percent. Hotels have five years to phase out all single-use items. Starting in 2022, some food delivery services in Beijing and Shanghai will have to switch to biodegradable packaging, with those rules applying to the whole country by 2025.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 11:25 PM, Karemark said:

Just off the Vision. There are no more plastic water bottles onboard. They have been replaced by cans of Dasani with a few extra ingredients...magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, and salt. We were told this was going to be a fleet-wide change. I found the cans to taste like tin and didn't think they were refreshing. I much prefer just plain water, don't need the extra ingredients, especially salt!

From the net, the sodium in Dasani is negligible, 1% of recommended daily allowance.

Good news because while I drink tap water at home, sometimes tap water that I am not used to doesn't agree with me, better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

Pure water is by definition an odourless, colourless, tastless liquid. The 'taste' that we experience when we drink water is impurities in the water. Depending on the source, this will vary, and thus some people prefer certain brands than others, and some municipal water likewise. Many report that 'pure' water tastes bland or similar.

When the water utilities supply water to their customers they are not required to provide an analysis list of ingredients. Some authorities require advice on water quality be provided to the customers by the water companies perhaps on a quarterly basis. Companies that supply water in bottles etc are required to do this on each and every bottle or can, and hence the listing shown by OP on the Dasani water.

' Making' potable water by RO of sea water removes not only the salt [NaCl] but other minerals etc in the water, effectively making it tasteless. Hence the addition of 'impurities' to give us the taste we desire. There is nothing sinister in the ingredient list on the Dasani water as listed by OP.

• Like 1