Plastic Water Bottles Being Replaced

Karemark

On 1/19/2020 at 11:25 PM, Karemark said:

Just off the Vision. There are no more plastic water bottles onboard. They have been replaced by cans of Dasani with a few extra ingredients...magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, and salt. We were told this was going to be a fleet-wide change. I found the cans to taste like tin and didn't think they were refreshing. I much prefer just plain water, don't need the extra ingredients, especially salt!

That, and the water is free and pure anyway.

23 hours ago, cello56 said:

I really don't know! But given a choice, I would choose pretty much any other beverage over Danani water. It just gives me a strange taste in my mouth. Could be it just reacts weird with my body chemistry?

For me, Dasani tastes OK.  But I can NOT stand Evian.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bookish Angel said:

Refilling a reusable water bottle is very easily and quickly with a small funnel. Many are available at camping stores and other retailers. The funnel can be cleaned with the same brush that comes with reusable straws.

Funnel, brush ,washing...sounds like a chore to me. I'm on a cruise not a camping trip.

• Like 4

On 1/20/2020 at 9:26 AM, Moltar said:

Tell that to people in Flint and Newark and God knows where else in this crumbling infrastructure country.

I don't drink tap water at all. I don't cook with it either. We live outside of NOLA along the Mississippi river and our water supply comes from the river. All the runoff of the upper states trickle down to us, not to mention all the marine traffic dumping fuels and oil into the river . Plus there are numerous boil water advisories through out the area regularly, especially in New Orleans itself. I can't imagine how many chemicals they add to purify it.

I don't like evian or dasani so not sure what I'm going to do on next cruise. 

On 1/23/2020 at 9:33 AM, Balsam12 said:

Absolute rubbish.

If drinking the water from the sink in your cabin makes you sick,  there would be a lot of sick people on every cruise. There is zero difference between drinking the water and using it for brushing your teeth. 

Next time,  ask one of the bridge crew about the water,  out better yet,  one of the engineers. You will find that the water out of the tap in your cabin bathroom is the same as the water they use in the gallery. 

We are talking about modern, high tech cruise ships here,  not a third world country. 

Glad you think so.  I am currently on Vision of the seas.  The water coming out of my sink is very bad smelling, and turns brown quite often.  You are most welcome to enjoy drinking that horrible smelling stuff.  Me, I won't touch it.  

Gallery?  Did not know they served water in the Gallery.  😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

So the only "bottled" water on board is Dasani in aluminum pop top cans??? 

The generic plastic bottle of spring water is no longer available at all of the bars???

Could be ship to ship, but have not seen any plastic water bottles on board Vision, .....last week or this week.  

I never saw an answer to the question about what kind of can was it?

The pop top or resealable lid?

I do not drink tap water straight, it tastes bad to me.. Hence one of the reasons I am paying for the beverage package.

In regards to Dasani/Aquafina.  They are just filtered city water sold by Coke and Pepsi.  I forget which soda company owns which water brand.  But in both cases they are just city water with a bit more extra filtration.

In regards to packaging.  Does anyone remember when most states had deposits for glass bottles.  I remember back in the 80's when money was tight while I was putting myself through college, I would go out and collect bottles and turn them in for the deposit.  Convenience and grocery stores complained about this and in most places the deposit requirement was dropped.

Recycling an aluminium can is cost effective, even by Corporate standards, otherwise they would be buying cans made from raw aluminium as opposed to buying recycled aluminum.  For those in the market for a new car, keep in mind that much of the steel in your new car is recycled steel.  So recycling does have its place.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:23 PM, tutzig said:

I never saw an answer to the question about what kind of can was it?

The pop top or resealable lid?

I do not drink tap water straight, it tastes bad to me.. Hence one of the reasons I am paying for the beverage package.

I answered you in post #87 on Sunday.  Right after your original post.

Edited by island lady

On 1/26/2020 at 11:04 PM, gatour said:

In regards to Dasani/Aquafina.  They are just filtered city water sold by Coke and Pepsi.  I forget which soda company owns which water brand.  But in both cases they are just city water with a bit more extra filtration.

Dasani - Coke

Aquafina - Pepsi

It may be more than just filtered, depending on the area and city water.  Typically, they chlorinate to kill anything in the water, then use activate charcoal to remove the chlorine for taste.

6 minutes ago, SRF said:

Dasani - Coke

Aquafina - Pepsi

It may be more than just filtered, depending on the area and city water.  Typically, they chlorinate to kill anything in the water, then use activate charcoal to remove the chlorine for taste.

DASANI as stated on the can is water that has been put through Reverse Osmosis membrane filtration, which basically produces water very close to the purity of steam distilled water.

They then add some minerals that are typically found in naturally occurring spring water for taste.

Yes folks they add a SALT... They add potassium chloride but since there is 200 times more Potassium in an avocado and very large amounts as well in potatoes, tomatoes and bananas,  than in 1 liter of DASANI I don't see it as any type of health issue.

3 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

DASANI as stated on the can is water that has been put through Reverse Osmosis membrane filtration, which basically produces water very close to the purity of steam distilled water.

They then add some minerals that are typically found in naturally occurring spring water for taste.

Yes folks they add a SALT... They add potassium chloride but since there is 200 times more Potassium in an avocado and very large amounts as well in potatoes, tomatoes and bananas,  than in 1 liter of DASANI I don't see it as any type of health issue.

If you are so in fear of drinking contaminated water. Reverse Osmosis filters can be purchased and put under your kitchen sink. Why buy bottled water? I never will. I have a large filter under my sink. Not reverse osmosis. Just to remove the chemical taste.  It also removes other contaminants and metals. Distillation does remove the taste for sure. No taste at all. Reverse osmosis does not. I worked for our city utilities and they have a massive reverse osmosis filter system. They use it to filter the water from the wells that have salt in them. They add nothing for taste.

On 1/20/2020 at 1:28 PM, steveru621 said:

Quite often water is pumped onto the ship at the dock from whatever country you are visiting. Next time look for a hose.

Not saying that's good or bad, it's just not the ships water supply.

Dunno... they might be taking on water for flushing out stuff, but pretty sure that isn't for drinking.

The behind the scenes tours show their water purification system down in the lower levels of the ship.  That thing is a matter of engineering pride for them.  It purifies seawater into clean water.

Edited by mpk

Another thing to keep in mind is that the bottled water industry isn’t really regulated.  I would think water coming from a state of the art filtration system would be safer to drink.   On the ships, they have to test the water.  Bottled water companies don’t necessarily have to.

Edited by Heatherco

4 minutes ago, mpk said:

Dunno... they might be taking on water for flushing out stuff, but pretty sure that isn't for drinking.

The behind the scenes tours show their water purification system down in the lower levels of the ship.  That thing is a matter of engineering pride for them.  It purifies seawater into clean water.

Almost all newer ships use reverse osmosis. So what ever water they are bringing on board for consumption, cooking etc. is filtered before being distributed.