Anti theft bags

Ironore88

Good morning all,

I am looking for advice on anti theft bags, both crossbody and backpack or similar size as we will be in Rome and Florence prior to our cruise.  
Thanks again for any input you can provide.

Have a wonderful day😊😊

1 hour ago, Ironore88 said:

Good morning all,

I am looking for advice on anti theft bags, both crossbody and backpack or similar size as we will be in Rome and Florence prior to our cruise.  
Thanks again for any input you can provide.

Have a wonderful day😊😊

PacSafe is great - have a purse that I wear crossbody. https://www.pacsafe.com/

There are other options: https://www.travelandleisure.com/style/travel-bags/anti-theft-travel-bags

I carry my passport, credit card & money in a passport wallet worn crossbody inside my shirt/sweater.

I assume you've already decided to purchase one of these bags, but just know that they are not really necessary. I have been traveling to Italy quite often for the past dozen years -- just spent 10 days in Rome in November and a week in Florence the previous year (and two weeks in Naples preceding that) -- not to mention numerous shorter stays.

I've never had any type of anti-theft bag. I just take what I consider reasonable precautions: 

• I use a cross-body bag, always worn across my body and with either my hand resting on the point where the strap meets the bag (and covering the zipper), which is comfortable for me, or if I need both hands, I keep my arm pressed against it.
  • I do not carry my passport ashore unless I am expressly required to carry it on me by local authorities. If I do, it goes in a "secret pocket" that I then pin to the waistband of my skirt or pants. There are other options, but I find this one comfortable.
  • I only carry a small wallet and in it I have: limited cash, a debit card, and one credit card. (Onboard ship or in my hotel safe I leave: a second debit card, an additional credit card (different account), and any larger amounts of cash not needed. I will take my driver's license as I have successfully used it as ID in some places that require you to leave an ID or passport in exchange for rental of an audioguide unit. 
  • The wallet stays in an interior pocket of my bag, which is then zipped and the zipper is pinned shut with a safety pin.
  • If I sit down to have a coffee, eat lunch, or whatever, I do not take off the crossbody bag. It stays on my person all day.
  • I try hard not to look like an easy "tourist" target -- when going from place to place I keep my camera hidden (or use my phone), I use my phone to navigate and I don't pull out the guidebook or notes until I am actually at the place/site where I'm headed. 
  • Areas where there is a crush of people are usually the most dangerous. Be particularly aware of your immediate surroundings when you are using public transportation (bus, train, metro), including when you are entering/exiting the building or vehicle.  But also places like Trevi fountain or the area around the Colosseum are usually rife with opportunity for pickpockets.

I realize that for some, the seemingly extra security of anti-theft bags help give you greater peace-of-mind. But in my opinion, they are not something that is "required" but more "optional"....

Something to keep in mind is that these bags are easily spotted and may lead pickpockets to assume you are carrying something worth stealing. It's not unknown in Italy to have pickpockets on scooters who will zoom by and grab your entire bag from you. If this should happen, the best thing to do is quickly ditch the bag. The injuries that can be sustained are not worth it.

Finally, do some reading on popular "scams" in places where you are traveling so you can spot them:  the "mustard/ketchup/bird poo" scam, the baby toss, the fake petition, the "found" jewelry.....

• Like 3

My theory on the Pacsafe handbags is that they are very recognisable, not just to me or my fellow tourists, but to pickpockets as well.  I live in hope that an aspiring pickpocket will see my Pacsafe handbag, decide that it’s too much bother, and target someone else. 😊

The one time I’ve had my pocket picked, I was standing on a bus wearing a small crossbody bag, with my hand on the top of it.  The pickpocket gave me an almighty shove from behind, so that I lurched into the seated passengers and had to take my hand off the bag in order not to fall onto someone.  Just that quick, she had her hand into my bag and out of it, taking only the Euros, not the Sterling I also had, right next to the Euros, nor my passport or credit cards.  Pickpockets are jaw-droppingly good, and I think if one of them wanted to get into my Pacsafe bag, they probably could.  I just count on the annoyance factor.  If the bag is difficult enough to get into, hopefully a pickpocket will turn to an easier mark.

I do everything cruisemom42 does, with my Pacsafe bag.  I like that it locks, in case something like what lisiamc mentioned happens.  I like that you can lock/unlock the strap so I can weave it into a chair for those times I don't want to wear my purse while eating.  As an added measure, it's safety cone orange.  NOT a color I would use at home, but I've heard of bags being taken at security screenings (such as to get into the Eiffel Tower) and it's harder to walk away with a bright orange purse.

• Like 1

I have a PacSafe bag that I have used as cruisemom describes, but I don't always take it, depending on what I want to carry with me and the time of year.  In the fall, winter and early spring when I'm wearing a coat I use hidden inner zipper pockets in my coats to carry money, passport, credit & ATM cards.  If I want to bring anything else I'm more likely to use a small backpack to carry things like tissues, guide books, etc., stuff I'd be okay losing if someone got after it.

I do tend to use the PacSafe bag for warm weather travel when I have fewer options inside my clothing.

I bought a Pacsafe bag for our first Med cruise and barely used it as I found it awkward.   Instead, I use a leather shoulder bag.  Mine has a thick strap that can be extended so the bag can also be worn crossbody.  I follow the same precautions that cruisemom42 mentioned. 

My leather bag closes with a zipper and in crowded areas I use a carabiner to secure the zipper to the strap.  The carabiner is the same metal as the buckles on the strap so it doesn't stand out. 

The absolute easiest safe way is to wear a money belt with credit card ID and cash.   Use a waist one or pocket one, not one around your neck that is easily visible.  Then there are zero worries,  we also carry a small amount of easily accessible  cash like 50 Euros or less.   We have seen backpacks, Fanny packs etc thrown in Garbage cans.  The pickpockets are amazing.  Doing this over decades we have only been pickpocketed once and they got our throwaway wallet.   But my husband noticed it and was able to get even that back.

Edited by bennybear

• 6 months later...
15 hours ago, John Bull said:

The best type of back-packs are those in which you carry only a sweater or waterproof jacket, and bottled water.

And mebbe sandwiches as long as you're sure you can survive the day if they're stolen. :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

Exactly!  And with your valuables safely tucked in a money belt under your clothes you have no Worries! People forget slash proof purses can be stolen or grabbed!  

I guess security-type bags have their place but I am in the same place as Cruisemom in that taking good personal security precautions does not necessarily involve getting a special bag, wallet, etc.  Personal security involves what I would call a behavior change.  Understand that most personal thefts are crimes of opportunity and if you are an "easy mark" even the most secure bag may not be enough.  On the other hand, if you learn how to be alert to your surroundings and always take reasonable precautions the pickpockets will usually look for an easier mark.  So, when I watched a lady put her very secure purse under her chair at an outdoor cafe in Barcelona it was only a few seconds before a gypsy snatched that bag (a passer by actually got that bag back and when he returned it the lady was not even aware it had been swiped).   A friend of mine watched a lady with a very secure purse (worn cross shoulder) get relieved of her wallet while in the Eiffel Tower.  She had left her zipper open and that was all it took.  Folks also have their luggage swiped in train stations, on the street, and even in trains because they do not take basic precautions (do not leave your luggage out of your control unless you have it secured).  By the way, when I say secure luggage that means using something like a luggage cable lock (similar to a lightweight bicycle cable) to secure the luggage together and then to a permanent structure like a luggage rack at the end of a train car.

DW and I have done extensive international travel for decades and never had anything stolen (we have foiled multiple attempts).  But for us, there are no special bags, wallets, etc.  We use some very simple techniques.  For men with wallets, put a couple of thick rubber bands around the wallet (it makes it difficult to slip it our of a pocket), keep it in a front pocket, and further secure that pocket with a large safety pin.  For women, wear you purse cross shoulders, secure the zippers with large safety pins, and never put that purse down!  Another tip it to be very careful if you are using your phone.  This is a major distraction (for you) and pick pockets take advantage of folks on their phone.  So when you need to be distracted from your surroundings (using your phone, using an ATM, etc) have your partner (if you have one) be your lookout.  If you are alone then put yourself in a safe place (when using the phone).  If using an ATM alone, be very cautious, check out your surroundings, and always be alert!

Hank

On 8/25/2020 at 4:43 PM, Hlitner said:

Another tip it to be very careful if you are using your phone.  This is a major distraction (for you) and pick pockets take advantage of folks on their phone. 

Hank

And the phone, especially an expensive one, is a major target in itself. Not only to sly pick-pockets but also to those who snatch-and-run, often on the back of scooters / mopeds, while folk are using them in the street or have left them on a restaurant table

Less-accessible now because of protection by PINs or finger-prints, and can be traced via its signal, but you're still out of pocket even if the thief can't use it or access the information in it.

Nobody has ever attempted to steal my £20 two/three-G phone :classic_smile:

All on this thread doesn't just apply to Italy. 

But although any precaution can be overcome by a determined thief, it's so much easier for the thief to move on to easier targets. :classic_smile:

So precaution, not paranoia, is the watchword.:classic_wink:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, John Bull said:

And the phone, especially an expensive one, is a major target in itself. Not only to sly pick-pockets but also to those who snatch-and-run, often on the back of scooters / mopeds, while folk are using them in the street or have left them on a restaurant table

Less-accessible now because of protection by PINs or finger-prints, and can be traced via its signal, but you're still out of pocket even if the thief can't use it or access the information in it.

Nobody has ever attempted to steal my £20 two/three-G phone :classic_smile:

All on this thread doesn't just apply to Italy. 

But although any precaution can be overcome by a determined thief, it's so much easier for the thief to move on to easier targets. :classic_smile:

So precaution, not paranoia, is the watchword.:classic_wink:

JB,

I think it is time for you to step up to a new iPhone 11 :).  Here is a link to a case you might find interesting:

https://fineartamerica.com/shop/iphone+cases/ford+mustang?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvZ7f76u76wIViLzACh0_uQHAEAAYASAAEgLiBvD_BwE

Even DW finally got an iPhone.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

JB,

I think it is time for you to step up to a new iPhone 11 :).  Here is a link to a case you might find interesting:

https://fineartamerica.com/shop/iphone+cases/ford+mustang?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvZ7f76u76wIViLzACh0_uQHAEAAYASAAEgLiBvD_BwE

Even DW finally got an iPhone.

Hank

As you know, Hank, THAT design on a phone case appeals.:classic_wink:

But an I-phone?

Or especially an I-watch ?

For a lad whose fingers are as tiny and dexterous as those of a pregnant sow? :classic_rolleyes:

Not to mention they eyesight of a septagenarian bat :classic_wacko: 

And the technological intellect of a pre-pubescent newt. :classic_blush:

Nah.

I think I'll stick with my tuppeny-ha'penny phone and my steam-powered desk-top :classic_wink: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...