How many cruise pax monitor Cruise Critic?

jsf

On 1/20/2020 at 4:52 PM, suesnake2002 said:

I am always amazed at the amount of people who never heard of cruise critic!! Doesn't any one research their vacations anymore??

Maybe they are like my SIL.  She and her husband are on a Panama Canal cruise and when I asked her if she knew which set of locks they would be going through I was met with total silence. (small ship so it will be the old locks).   I suspect she didn't even realise that there are new locks and I would class her as intelligent and well read.  Talking to her DD we suspect that she and her husband do no research at all virtually just pick a ship, a destination and book it.

For me, half the fun of a cruise is the research that I do beforehand.

And in all the cruises we've done, I've yet to meet anyone who is on this forum 😔

9 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Maybe they are like my SIL.  She and her husband are on a Panama Canal cruise and when I asked her if she knew which set of locks they would be going through I was met with total silence. (small ship so it will be the old locks).   I suspect she didn't even realise that there are new locks and I would class her as intelligent and well read.  Talking to her DD we suspect that she and her husband do no research at all virtually just pick a ship, a destination and book it.

And in all the cruises we've done, I've yet to meet anyone who is on this forum 😔

Each to their own, I like to research a destination before arriving and plan what we may do. I know many who just take it as it comes.

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

I am always shocked with people who do no research before their trip. Even in port intensive Europe, they don't think about what to do until they board and then just look for ship excursions. I am an uber planner, so can't understand that sort of traveler.

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

Actually I confess to making a mistake here.  I should have said that I hadn't met anyone other than those who are on a roll call.  And even then not everyone turned up.  On one trip at least a dozen people promised to turn up to the meet up but apart from myself and the organiser nobody did.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Each to their own, I like to research a destination before arriving and plan what we may do. I know many who just take it as it comes.

I'm with you on this point - we research destinations and plan. Not in my DNA to "fly by the seat of my pants". Each to their own.

I met maybe two or three people in my dozen or so cruises who "know about" CC.

Remember when we talk about member numbers on CC, there are many who like to have multiple accounts so they can stir the pot better. Same thing with social media sites.

I'm in the research crowd.

Years ago I purposely booked a new Sandals resort that was still being built as I booked, with the thought of getting a kickback because of issues that I was pretty certain would happen. A month or so before our trip we received a letter stating that they were running behind and things were not up to Sandals standards. You could cancel and get a full refund and some other compensation, or you could still go and then later book another Sandals in the same room category for free. I was expecting the letter because of my research. We went (it was fine) and met another couple who had no idea of this offer. They had a couple of minor complaints and then I said, "but hey you get another trip for free." They husband looked at me and said he had no idea and he even used a TA.

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I really wished I had done some research when we landed at Florence. We got off the mini bus, and everyone else had a guide.

Me and the wife didnt. So we just wandered about without a clue as to what was there to see. We walked round a corner and bumped into that big chuch thing. Looks stunning from the outside.

We walked round it. and then back to the square. Walked round the markets and then back to the square.

Had a pizza and a few beers and enjoyed the sun whilst sat outside the church or whatever it is.

The others on our coach wrere staggered at how little we saw.

Yet we were the ones that had the pizza and the very tasty beer.

Surely we won?

Edited by DarrenM
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, babs135 said:

Actually I confess to making a mistake here.  I should have said that I hadn't met anyone other than those who are on a roll call.  And even then not everyone turned up.  On one trip at least a dozen people promised to turn up to the meet up but apart from myself and the organiser nobody did.

That happens often, one reason why some lines seem uninterested in having the M&Gs.

5 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I really wished I had done some research when we landed at Florence. We got off the mini bus, and everyone else had a guide.

Me and the wife didnt. So we just wandered about without a clue as to what was there to see. We walked round a corner and bumped into that big chuch thing. Looks stunning from the outside.

We walked round it. and then back to the square. Walked round the markets and then back to the square.

Had a pizza and a few beers and enjoyed the sun whilst sat outside the church or whatever it is.

Surely we won?

Sometimes it is the small simple things in life that make it worth while.

18 hours ago, ldubs said:

My uninformed opinion is 0.0013%.  

17 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

You're totally wrong, fake news CNN on the internet says it's only 0.0012%....

Yah! Totally 100% real Fox News said it was 110% ....

• Haha 1

Cruise Critic is very US Centric,  so out of the 42 mentioned above, probably 40 are from the US,  1 from the UK, and 1 from OZ.  

As one of the few UK visitors to this forum, I would say that, imho, hardly any Brits are aware of this  site. However,  there are thousands of Brits on various cruise specific pages on a well known social media page.  For example, I'm going on a cruise on a British ship shortly, and that particular ship has over 5000 followers. I don't believe that there are that many Brits on this entire forum.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 3:33 AM, LilBlackDress said:

for my next cruise, we have over 100 people in the Roll Call and it is over 50 pages long...
My other 2 cruises completely different story

I just Googled "passengers on average cruise ship".
Response: 3,000.
So, on your next cruise, the 100 people on your RC would be around 3%.

Edited by Canuker

3 hours ago, Canuker said:

I just Googled "passengers on average cruise ship".
Response: 3,000.
So, on your next cruise, the 100 people on your RC would be around 3%.

I'm actually surprised that roll calls typically have 100 different people posting.  I have not experienced that, but admit I don't spend much time on the roll calls.    Anyway, even if the average is half of that, it would still be more than I would have guessed.  I would have bet the figure is much less than 1%.   Dang, second time I've been wrong and it is only January!  😁  

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Cruise Critic is very US Centric,  so out of the 42 mentioned above, probably 40 are from the US,  1 from the UK, and 1 from OZ.  

As one of the few UK visitors to this forum, I would say that, imho, hardly any Brits are aware of this  site. However,  there are thousands of Brits on various cruise specific pages on a well known social media page.  For example, I'm going on a cruise on a British ship shortly, and that particular ship has over 5000 followers. I don't believe that there are that many Brits on this entire forum.

They may have joined up and used it once or twice but found it wasn't suiting their needs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I'm actually surprised that roll calls typically have 100 different people posting.  I have not experienced that, but admit I don't spend much time on the roll calls.    Anyway, even if the average is half of that, it would still be more than I would have guessed.  I would have bet the figure is much less than 1%.   Dang, second time I've been wrong and it is only January!  😁  

We have had that many on a roll call (or at least posting once to say they are doing the cruise) but rarely have had more than 40 people at a M&G.

I suppose you have to be able to speak and read English to gain anything out of CC. That eliminates a LOT of cruisers.

The UK based Marella forum here has a dozen or so regular posters but the FB pages are very busy

It is said that maybe forums like this comprise the lunatic fringe of cruisers!

36 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I suppose you have to be able to speak and read English to gain anything out of CC. That eliminates a LOT of cruisers.

The UK based Marella forum here has a dozen or so regular posters but the FB pages are very busy

It is said that maybe forums like this comprise the lunatic fringe of cruisers!

It is generalising but I think it is also for people who are over a certain age. Younger cruisers use other forums and social media to communicate about cruising.

I am on a roll call for a P&O cruise next year. 3 members on it. The social media page also has a roll call. 60 on it so far. I just think most UK cruisers just don't know about CC, or if they do, they tend to think it is for American cruisers only.

18 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Surely we won?

We have done this in the past,deternined not to spend a day being herded on & off a cramped & crowded mini bus & really enjoyed it.

On our most recent cruise out East though we joined the mini bus crowds only because we were not going to go all that way & not see as much as possible,we are not likely to get back there again!

I used the M&G forums for obtaining,& giving,advice,it worked out really well in that we ended up with excellent tours & some excellent advice,sadly though it proved that sometimes well meant advice can sadly backfire on you!