Belfast to Giants Causeway

simpsol

does anyone know how long it takes to drive to the Giant's Causeway and back from the cruise pier?  We are only in port from 1 to 9 so want to see if there is time to drive before I crack and do a shore excursion from the ship (can I say I truly hate bus tours).

or a recommendation for a private shore excursion.  We are on the Celebrity Silhouette

thanks

Linda (and Tom)

A group of seven of us saw the causeway from Belfast last August when in port from 8-5.  We took the "Top 5 Tour" which included a stop for tea and scones and several other stops (Belfast church, Dark Hedges, and a couple water views) so I believe you have plenty of time for the causeway and one or two more stops.  Make sure to take the shuttle bus from parking lot to causeway.  (The walk will add nearly another hour to the trip.)

I created this fabulous tour with Tours with Locals.  The guide we used was Joe McCollough.  He was the best ever guide anywhere!  Go to Tourswithlocals.com and click on Belfast.  I hope that will connect you with Joe for your tour.

Edited by sansterre

It depends on the route you take and whether you intend to visit other points of interest on the Antrim Coast.  We did this in 2017 with a private driver.  On the way we took the scenic coastal route, leaving the pier at 9am, had a quick photo stop at the Carrickfergus Castle, and a second restroom stop at the Carrick A Rede Rope Bridge (11am, did not get on the bridge).  We arrived at the Giants Causeway at 11:45 am, about 3 hours.  

On the return trip we took the highway A26 to M2, leaving at 2:15 pm and was back in Belfast by 3:30 pm.  So if your only wish was to get to the Causeway as quickly as possible the M2 route will get you there in a little over an hour.

• Like 1