Britannia Barbados Disembarkation day

alsa

Hello cruisers!  we are going on a Caribbean cruise on Britannia at end of Feb and although we have done the Caribbean many times before we have never been to the Caribbean with p&O so need some questions answering please.

1.  On the last day do you leave your suitcases outside your cabin before bed?  

2.  I understand that you are only allowed '1' piece of carry on luggage on a Tui flight - so where are you supposed to put your toiletries/clothes etc from your last night after your suitcase has gone?   I will have a handbag with me and cant fit it in there - unless they allow another small holdall etc to put my things in? 

3.  Are we allowed to stay on the ship until the coach takes us to the airport?  or are we left at the airport all day?  if so the problem of only allowed my handbag with me becomes an even bigger problem as i will have suncream and maybe swimsuit with me too!

The whole thing about Tui only allowing one piece of carry on i find really odd.  What happens if your buy duty free items?  i have heard rumours that your are not even allowed to take these on board unless they are in your bag?  sounds like i will need an enormous handbag - that doesn't weigh more than 5Kg of course!

WE are really really looking forward to our holiday but just want to clear these few questions up first so i don't get stressed!

Thanks in advance for your help!

19 minutes ago, alsa said:

Hello cruisers!  we are going on a Caribbean cruise on Britannia at end of Feb and although we have done the Caribbean many times before we have never been to the Caribbean with p&O so need some questions answering please.

1.  On the last day do you leave your suitcases outside your cabin before bed?  

2.  I understand that you are only allowed '1' piece of carry on luggage on a Tui flight - so where are you supposed to put your toiletries/clothes etc from your last night after your suitcase has gone?   I will have a handbag with me and cant fit it in there - unless they allow another small holdall etc to put my things in? 

3.  Are we allowed to stay on the ship until the coach takes us to the airport?  or are we left at the airport all day?  if so the problem of only allowed my handbag with me becomes an even bigger problem as i will have suncream and maybe swimsuit with me too!

The whole thing about Tui only allowing one piece of carry on i find really odd.  What happens if your buy duty free items?  i have heard rumours that your are not even allowed to take these on board unless they are in your bag?  sounds like i will need an enormous handbag - that doesn't weigh more than 5Kg of course!

WE are really really looking forward to our holiday but just want to clear these few questions up first so i don't get stressed!

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Yes

2. You can leave your hand luggage in a room P&O designate, often the theatre and you pick up a raffle ticket to retrieve it later.

3. You stay on ship until about 3hrs before your flight, then you are bussed to aiport and then go through Passport control and security only to wait for plane

Edited by bee-ess
  • Like 1

Once we have deposited our hand luggage in the designated place on board we usually walk into Bridgetown along the waterfront from the port.  It's a pleasant walk.  In Bridgetown, we usually stop at the Bridge House - just over the pedestrian bridge which crosses the river - to have a drink.  After a leisurely stroll back and a look around the duty free and shops in the port area, we have a late lunch back on board before the coach transfer to the airport.  We prefer that to just hanging around the ship.

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 1

We just arrived back from Britannia on Saturday and found the last day very straightforward and organised. As far as cabin baggage was concerned - we got back to our cabin the last night around 11.45 and then put all our clothes from that night in our cases before putting them out for collection (should be done before midnight). We were leaving the ship at lunchtime so only had our clothes we were travelling in left as we didn’t bother to go into Bridgetown that morning. You would obviously have to keep some toiletries out which would go in the clear plastic bag you show at security at airport, provided they’re not more than 100ml.  To be honest, as you’re not checking in at the airport - it’s already been done for you - you go straight through security, so your cabin baggage isn’t weighed!!

• Like 1

Just remember, if you do buy any ‘duty free alcohol’ on board you will have to pack it in you suitcase the night before. However there is an opportunity to buy duty free goods at the airport after you have passed through security.

• Like 1

Hi Alsa, we are on the Britannia cruise to the Caribbean on the 29th of Feb. Like you we have done many such cruises but all with P & O.  They have it all sorted for you and we just have a relaxing day on board. I use my beach bag with a small handbag inside to take on the plane and never had a problem. My husband has a small carry on case and between us we manage quite well, just needs a bit of planning. Getting excited now.

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone for your replies - this really helps a lot!  i didn't think about putting our clothes from the last evening in the case before bed, we have always put our cases out before we go for dinner - so that idea helps a lot - thank you!  The idea of leaving your hand luggage in a designated room is great, so I assume people must have hand luggage for the flight then 😊  Hope to meet you on board Jennizor - we are also getting very excited now 🚢

Any more comments and ideas greatly appreciated 😎

• 2 weeks later...

For disembarktion day in Barbados P&O have a limited number of cabins avaiable to hire for day use; £45 per cabin for an inside, £70 for a balcony. Available for use from 10:00 am until 3:00 pm. You can use onboard credit for these if you have any left. Probably worth considering if you have a late flight.

When we did this cruise on Azura we put most clothes etc in our main suitcases and put them out at about 11.30 on the last night. I had my usual small rucksack and my friend a large beach bag; we could both fit small handbags inside. We just kept a light jumper for landing and any necessary toiletries in small containers, plus suncream which we got rid of at the airport. We sunbathed and had a cocktail or two and a late lunch on the ship, keeping our bags with us, then were taken to the airport at about 2pm 3 hours before our flight. As suitcases had gone, hand luggage was not weighed; they simply noted that we had one bag each, and we went for a drink until the flight was called. It was all very relaxing though we didn't like the length of the flight home nor did we appreciate landing at 5am at Manchester on a Sunday, and being told gleefully by a jobsworth that there were no trains until 9am but we COULD get abus half way home which would take 4 hours!

We got a taxi to a relative's house in Manchester at 6.30, after a long coffee/croissant in a hotel, stayed there for a sleep, then got a later train home. And we told jobsworth and his boss exactly what we thought of his attitude.