Norwegian Fjords cruise

kcbmarek

2 hours ago, just_dont said:

Are there any electric car/truck ferries yet? Those are used daily for transportation and commercial deliveries.

Several of the car ferries in the heritage fjords have already been phased out. Most local and commercial traffic uses road access to these towns and crosses the fjords elsewhere if necessary.

The Norwegian ferry operator Fjord1 has just brought their first of 12 battery ferries in operation. Capacity og 112 cars and 400 passengers.

Hurtigruten is currently upgrading 7 ships to LNG/hybrid with battery propulsion when navigating the heritage fjords. Havila Kystruten will start Norwegian Coastal service January 2021 also with LNG/hybrid ships.

Norwegian Coastal operation and ferries will be able to meet zero emission requirements in the Norwegian Heritage Fjords by next year.

Other cruise lines might not be able to meet requirements after January 2026.

Heritage fjords are Nærøyfjord, Aurlands Fjord (Flåm and Gudvangen) Geiranger Fjord as well as Synnulvsfjorden and Tafjord.

Other fjords can be navigated if the ships does meet Tier III emission requirement - many cruise lines are right now building LNG ships, but they will still not be able to sail to Flåm and Geiranger.

I took one of the Fjord1 ferries last year from Flåm. They're really nice passenger ferries.

I was more thinking about the larger vehicle ferries that go in and out of Geiranger a couple times each day. Seems like they're still needed there.

(Edit: Sorry, didn't intend to hijack the thread)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, just_dont said:

I took one of the Fjord1 ferries last year from Flåm. They're really nice passenger ferries.

I was more thinking about the larger vehicle ferries that go in and out of Geiranger a couple times each day. Seems like they're still needed there.

The ferry service from Hellesylt to Geiranger is operated by Fjord1 during summer - believe they have a plan.

Skærmbillede 2020-01-22 kl. 22.14.39.png

• Like 1

My husband and I are also looking at Norwegian cruises that  go all the way up the coast in summer of 2021. Our current choices are Princess and Hurtigruten, two very different experiences. I am not seeing the NCL offering. Can you tell he how you found this and the name of that cruise?

4 minutes ago, srh_leh said:

My husband and I are also looking at Norwegian cruises that  go all the way up the coast in summer of 2021. Our current choices are Princess and Hurtigruten, two very different experiences. I am not seeing the NCL offering. Can you tell he how you found this and the name of that cruise?

The NCL itinerary that I had posted was from this year’s itinerary in June 2020. NCL has yet to put their itinerary out for 2021 and I have called several times requesting when it will be put out. No one seems to know.

1 hour ago, srh_leh said:

current choices are Princess and Hurtigruten, two very different experiences

Just for information.

In addition to the Coastal Voyages from Bergen to Kirkenes and back, Hurtigruten does start to offer "Norway & North Cape - Summer along the Coastline" in 2021 - 12 days from Bergen to North Cape with longer stops in ports than the Coastal Voyage.

Also Hurtigruten will only operate seven out of eleven Coastal return voyages from Bergen to Kirkenes - four of the voyages will be operated by Havila Kystruten.