Koh Samui or Bangkok?

Gourmet Gal

I have a choice of one or the other on a tour I just booked.  Having never been to Thailand I would appreciate any insight that could help me in making the choice.  It is understood that everyone has different interests and priorities but I need help in which factors I should even be considering.  On this trip  I will be traveling from Great Barrier Reef just before and going on to Jordan from Thailand.  Bora Bora, Cairo, Athens and Madrid will be on the same itinerary plus a few other cities.  

Yes, Ko Samui is great if you want a beach stop.  Bangkok was the most visited city in the world.  It's a modern city with beautiful temples, Grand Palace, and markets.  You should watch videos of tours in Bangkok and see for yourself.  We had three days in Bangkok and 1/2 day in Ko Samui.  Don't get me wrong.  After three days in Bangkok, we needed the beach and spa break in Ko Samui.

• Like 1

We have been to both.  Several times.   They are polar opposites.  We love Bangkok and see something different every time we visit.   As above, it is wonderful city venue.   Koh Samui is all beach.  We no longer stop there because it has become too crowded.  There are other far less crowded beaches in Thailand but they are not as easy to reach unless you are on a longer trip.

If you want beach you could also fly Scoot from Gold Coast.  We go the opposite way, Krabi to Gold Coast.

We have spent the last five of six  winters in Thailand. 

We never miss Bangkok even if it is only two days passing through on our way in.   We have only been to Ko Samui once because we prefer less crowded beach areas.  Same reason we absolutely avoid Phuket unless passing though or connecting to a ferry, air, or to a van/bus.

Bangkok is a truly unique city.  A beach is a beach.  Ko Samui is definately, in our experience, not the best beach in Thailand.  If you have been around GBR, or have spent time on the beaches from Noosa and south to Gold Coast and further south your might not think that Ko Samui is anything special.  But Bangkok may well be if you have never experienced it before.

The only thing that we have brought back from Thailand is a desire to return,  yearning for Thai food and a suntan!  We never bother with souvenirs.  We passed on Thailand this winter in favour of Mexico.  We are missing Thailand already but it may be just as well given the coronavirus issue.

Edited by iancal

Fours Seasons Bangkok is in an excellent location.  Last year we stayed at the Chatrium Riverside, a block or two away.  Great for access to the boat stop and rapid transit.

We have stayed in several areas of Bangkok.  This area was by far our favourite.    

Edited by iancal

3 hours ago, iancal said:

Fours Seasons Bangkok is in an excellent location.  Last year we stayed at the Chatrium Riverside, a block or two away.  Great for access to the boat stop and rapid transit.

We have stayed in several areas of Bangkok.  This area was by far our favourite.    

Good to know!  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

KS is an Asian beach island.  You've been to the beach before, right?  Massage and cocounts.

BKK is Asian Manhattan x1000.

You can get around the beach on your own.  If someone will give you a concierge view of BKK, I'd take that