Steve Jobs has Ruined Cruising

farmermd

15 hours ago, Pushka said:

Given the ship uses the app to do many things it’s kinda funny. Let people be. Although I do object to people conducting activity like watching movies etc, without earphones. 

And I think Nokia were the first. 

You are correct that Nokia had the first smartphones anyone actually noticed. Technically, it was IBM that developed the technology (called it the "Simon Personal Communicator") in 1992, but it didn't get released until 1994 and wasn't really much of a hit on the open public market. The Nokia 9000 Communicator was the first real smartphone to penetrate the market in 1996 - with a design that I still greatly prefer over touchscreens, by the way. Apple got into the game a decade or so later, a collaboration with Motorola that did not go well. The first iPhone was a couple of years after that in 2007.

Not sure when the term "smartphone" came into use, I think between the IBM and Nokia products somewhere.

For me, I use my phone (which is not a product from Steve Jobs company) to find information. Long ago, I carried a notebook to jot down things I wanted to look up when I got back to my encyclopedia, almanac, dictionary, whatever. Now, I just use my phone to do it at the time it occurs to me. I also make an occasional phone call or send a text every now and then.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Referring back to your OP, there's a huge difference IMO between taking a photo of the Martini Bar and incidentally capturing in the photo the patrons within the bar versus specifically targeting the four individuals using their cell phones.

Do you think it would be perfectly acceptable for a complete stranger to wander over and make an audio recording of a quiet conversation you and your wife are having while sitting by yourselves in the bar?

From the OP’s original post “I sat at the Martini Bar one afternoon and observed 4 people in a row at the bar with their noses buried in their phone, oblivious of me taking pictures of them”.  There was nothing incidental about these photos.

• Like 3

So to sum this up and how far off track this has gone.  A conversation on how people find people using cell phones, at bar stools, dinner tables very rude has turned into how much it is against privacy of people taking pic of the unsuspecting persons even tho the ones on the phone are completely oblivious of what is around them.  There both bad in my book.  

I have my cell phone with me, but if I get a call or need to make a call I ll step someplace more private overall.  Just me and completely common courtesy in my book, but everyone has there own standards for what is courteous etc.  My simple rule is the golden rule and seems to cover most instances of how to act in public etc.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Referring back to your OP, there's a huge difference IMO between taking a photo of the Martini Bar and incidentally capturing in the photo the patrons within the bar versus specifically targeting the four individuals using their cell phones.

Do you think it would be perfectly acceptable for a complete stranger to wander over and make an audio recording of a quiet conversation you and your wife are having while sitting by yourselves in the bar?

Or asking them to smile for the picture a stranger is taking since it is in a public venue.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, farmermd said:

Part of the allure of cruising used to be a total disconnect from the world and having new conversations with different people. The allure is quickly fading...

I am not certain how my activities affect you.  I for one do not enjoy socialization with strangers on a ship, so I keep to myself.  I will however enjoy an occasional FaceTime chat with my granddaughter, who is my favorite person in the world.  And although you bemoan the use of cell phones on the ship, if my husband could not stay in touch with his office, we would not be able to cruise, so I am very grateful that he can do so. 

Of course the rules of common phone courtesy should apply, but as long as they are, I think people have a right to do what makes them happy on a cruise.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, farmermd said:

LOL that's a topic for a completely different forum that can have lot's of great discussion! Farm kid here with no allergies...

I don't care if someone is using their cell phone or tablet. It doesn't impact the enjoyment of my vacation. People can behave badly with or without electronics. Hopefully people will and in most cases do abide by common courtesy aboard ship. If someone is talking on their phone at the pool, it is no different to me than if they're talking to the person on the next lounger. When doing either, hopefully they're not shouting. If it's in a quiet area like the Persian Gardens or Relaxation Room, hopefully they'll abide by the decorum that venue dictates.  If you don't like sharing a dining venue with people using their phones, request a table for your own party who behave the way you like.  The most uncomfortable experience we've ever had didn't involve electronics at all. Sitting by the pool one day a husband and wife were having what started out as a quiet discussion that quickly got heated and then became a shouting match. The wife stormed off while screaming at her husband "I don't care if you have cancer and are dying..you're still a @*!#@*." I can still hear that in my nightmares. Common courtesy is appreciated by everyone and most behave that way. Thanks to those who exercise it. Electronics don't create bad behavior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farmermd said:

Ah now see - there are laws concerning audio recording in public without consent.

In many (most?) jurisdictions, openly recording a conversation held in a public venue with no expectation of privacy isn't unlawful. 

But the point you are missing is that what's legal and what's socially acceptable are often two very different things. It may be legally permissible to photograph people when there is no expectation of privacy, but go to the pool deck, run around photographing the breasts of the lovely ladies on their loungers, and see how far your "it's legal" argument goes when confronted by their significant others.

• Like 3

OP, I get that you observed something on your cruise that bothered you. Things bother all of us. But I'm still not sure if you started this thread to be provocative or trolling... what actually bothers me the most is that in your observations and comments, you maligned and defamed someone who helped change the course of history. Not only that, I would expect Mr. Jobs died a horrific and excruciating death from pancreatic cancer. I'm sure his children and loved ones would certainly not want to see you equate arguably poor social behavior with the memory of Steve Jobs, who was a part of something that forever changed most of the world.

• Like 7

some ppl have to work while they are on vacation and need their phones. 

on the last cruise, someone i met works in finance. one of his customers knew he was on vacation and still emailed him about getting a line of credit for a rainy day. it was a jerk power play move, but he still had to oblige while he was on his cruise

• Like 1

Well the OP sure opened up a can of worms LOL.  

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it cell phone obsession is here to stay and (self absorbed?) people will continue to be enthralled by it's constant use.

• Like 3

Jeez, if it weren't for the internet package and the ability to connect with the outside world when I needed to, I wouldn't be able to cruise nearly as often as I do.  I'm grateful for the ability to take care of business and still have a meaningful and enjoyable vacation.  Best of both worlds in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

OP, I get that you observed something on your cruise that bothered you. Things bother all of us. But I'm still not sure if you started this thread to be provocative or trolling... what actually bothers me the most is that in your observations and comments, you maligned and defamed someone who helped change the course of history. Not only that, I would expect Mr. Jobs died a horrific and excruciating death from pancreatic cancer. I'm sure his children and loved ones would certainly not want to see you equate arguably poor social behavior with the memory of Steve Jobs, who was a part of something that forever changed most of the world.

This was so well said.  You managed to articulate my thoughts precisely.  Thank you for removing the behavior of some from the person (Steve Jobs) for, IMO he deserves nothing but thanks and praise for both pioneering and revolutionizing how we communicate.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

This is taking this discussion in a ridiculous direction. Much as I disagree with the sentiments in the original post regarding photo taking surely you can't be serous that the Job's family would be upset with this post -it's unlikely they browse Cruise Critic (own yachts  etc LOL) and they would be extremely thin skinned to take offence.   Maybe I am feeding a troll here and if so I apologies to all. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont care what anyone else does on their vacation. But I specifically cruise to get away from my cell phone. I live on the thing for work in real life. It is your vacation do what you want. But mine will be locked in the room safe during my vacation.

Not everyone goes to bars to socialize. Sometimes it is just to get a drink and wind down. WITHOUT having to socialize.

• Like 2

I confess I am as guilty as the next person at connecting to my phone while on the cruise, and yes, sometimes I will even do so at the bar.  I pass no judgement on others who do the same (and would certainly never take photos of them!)

That said, it is rather sad what our society has come to in this regard.  I was just at Disney World and everywhere I looked the kids were glued to their phones instead of interacting with their families for what might be their one family trip that year.  Sad.  The use of cell phones has really impacted us as a society psychologically.  Studies have shown that people's rates of depression and anxiety (particularly the former) increase exponentially as their use of social media increases.  So yes, everyone has the freedom to use the technology as they please but I wonder what it is doing to us.  I would welcome some input from posters who are actually in the psychiatry or psychology profession as to their thoughts on this topic.

• Like 5

My husband’s ability to work remotely enables us to spend a considerable amount of time away from home.  Fortunately Celebrity has excellent internet.   He can frequently be found at the Martini Bar,  Michaels Club/Retreat, gym, etc. on his phone and occasionally with his pad.  Yes, even at the Martini Bar he could be working depending on the time zone.  We spend plenty of time socializing which is one of the things we enjoy most on a cruise.  However, we do NOT go to disconnect completely.  We both ignore phone calls that can wait but are equally as happy to talk to our family even while we are enjoying a martini.  We are relaxed, having a blast, doing what we want and our family is happy for us.  Why should anyone even bat an eyelash at that?   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, farawayatsea said:

Maybe I am feeding a troll here...

So, you've been on these boards for all of 3 weeks, and call a respected poster who has been here for 14 years a troll because his opinion doesn't jibe with yours? That takes a lot if nerve.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

But I'm still not sure if you started this thread to be provocative or trolling... 

4 hours ago, farawayatsea said:

Maybe I am feeding a troll here and if so I apologies to all. 

1 hour ago, mom says said:

So, you've been on these boards for all of 3 weeks, and call a respected poster who has been here for 14 years a troll because his opinion doesn't jibe with yours? That takes a lot if nerve.

I understood faraway to be referencing Langley's post.  Perhaps not.

My wife and I spend almost every hour of every day together. We spend much of that time talking  as we do on day long drives, hours of walking, and just sitting quietly in bed. Sometimes we take our phones to a restaurant and read because we enjoy doing that while eating. Anyone who thinks it is sad we aren't talking has got a huge projection problem and can take a shot at a rolling donut! Waffle House and the local Chinese place will survive two fewer voices in the clamor.

Edited by mayleeman