Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
ISLANDCRUSO

Duplex Aurea to become YC cabins

Recommended Posts

From 1st May 2020 the Duplex cabins on all Meraviglia and plus class will become YC Duplex cabins, it also appears that the Two Aurea Suites on Deck 12 12007 and 12010 will also  become part of the YC as Grand suites. You have to wonder how this will impact on cruise already booked, will they remain Aurea until bookings have cleared as Aurea or will they be classed as YC. It looks like MSC have played the Greed card in changing these cabins and will put them out of the reach of many families. You have to wonder if the NCL v YC cabins outside of the Haven argument may have influenced the decision although the Fantasia class does have forward YC suites outside of the YC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I think that it's a good idea that the best cabins also get the best "experience".

 

Even better should be if they made it possible to choose Yacht Club or Aurea for the bigger suites located outside the Yacht Club.

 

I think that the duplex suites looks really nice but I should defenitely not book them when they don't get the Yacht Club "experience". Now I might think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking forward to this. Given the choice between a Duplex Cabin or the YC experience, I will always choose the YC. Now, it appears I won't have to choose between the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the reclassification was due. We sailed in an Aurea Duplex in the Med, and the main reason we did so was because of price. At the time, I did think that these accommodations were “worthy” of a YC classification. Needless to say, it was a wonderful, opulent suite, but some details, as well as the lack of some amenities, made the experience feel a bit cheap. But I was very thankful that we were able to experience a Duplex suite at an affordable price and I was willing to overlook these details since our main reason to book this suite was because of the physical accommodations rather than the service and amenities. Others probably would’ve been disappointed. 
 

So although I feel that the reclassification was due, I’m torn about this decision. Part of me believes that the Aurea Duplex suites deserve the YC moniker and should’ve been part of it all along, but part of me is disappointed because prices will most likely increase accordingly, making them considerably more expensive to experience again. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ISLANDCRUSO said:

From 1st May 2020 the Duplex cabins on all Meraviglia and plus class will become YC Duplex cabins, it also appears that the Two Aurea Suites on Deck 12 12007... will they remain Aurea until bookings have cleared as Aurea or will they be classed as YC. 

Our duplex on Meraviglia for sept 2020 now shows YCD on my confirmation. It was booked July 2019. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed MSC has been playing around with the Meraviglia class Aurea suite descriptions for a while.  Stateroom descriptions now show both an Aurea and YC version of the Duplex.  My total speculation would be the ones on deck twelve go YC and the ones on deck nine stay Aurea.  The larger two room corner suites like 12007/10 have been broken out as Grand and regular suites with whirlpool tubs but both seem to remain Aurea.  Correct deck plans seem to have fallen behind the new descriptions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tapi said:

I think that the reclassification was due. We sailed in an Aurea Duplex in the Med, and the main reason we did so was because of price. At the time, I did think that these accommodations were “worthy” of a YC classification. Needless to say, it was a wonderful, opulent suite, but some details, as well as the lack of some amenities, made the experience feel a bit cheap. But I was very thankful that we were able to experience a Duplex suite at an affordable price and I was willing to overlook these details since our main reason to book this suite was because of the physical accommodations rather than the service and amenities. Others probably would’ve been disappointed. 
 

So although I feel that the reclassification was due, I’m torn about this decision. Part of me believes that the Aurea Duplex suites deserve the YC moniker and should’ve been part of it all along, but part of me is disappointed because prices will most likely increase accordingly, making them considerably more expensive to experience again. We were told at Xmas that the Aurea 12007 now Grand Suite

 

 

September 2021 in the Med on Grandiosa, Duplex cabin £3,500 pp! Stupidly over priced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sidari said:

September 2021 in the Med on Grandiosa, Duplex cabin £3,500 pp! Stupidly over priced.

That’s a 75% increase, or an additional $1,500pp over what we paid for our duplex suite in 2018. The big question is: Is the Yacht Club worth an extra $3,000 per couple? I’m sure the answers will vary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tapi ... No way we would pay it, MSC have increased prices steadily in the Med over the last Five to Six years, the start of which coincides with Divina first arriving in Miami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Tapi, I'm glad we sailed in a Duplex Suite last year while they were "value priced" in the Aurea category. 😎 And I also agree that they should be placed in the YC.  Really special rooms, especially for families, with the extra bathroom, storage and hot tub balcony. As a side note, the prices were already increasing...we're sailing the Grandiosa this spring and looked at booking a duplex suite but they are priced $2200 more for a family of three than on last year's Meriviglia (similiar itinerary, same week, and BEFORE the move to YC!) Fingers crossed that we'll somehow survive our balcony stateroom! 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 6:15 AM, sverigecruiser said:

 

I think that it's a good idea that the best cabins also get the best "experience".

 

Even better should be if they made it possible to choose Yacht Club or Aurea for the bigger suites located outside the Yacht Club.

 

I think that the duplex suites looks really nice but I should defenitely not book them when they don't get the Yacht Club "experience". Now I might think about it.

 

I find it odd that the whirlpool balcony suites on the Seaview/Seaside are not YC.  Or at least that they cant be upgraded to YC. I ultimately chose to do the whirlpool suites rather than YC but probably would have gone for the full experience if that were an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 9:12 AM, CelebrationFamily said:

Like Tapi, I'm glad we sailed in a Duplex Suite last year while they were "value priced" in the Aurea category. 😎 And I also agree that they should be placed in the YC.  Really special rooms, especially for families, with the extra bathroom, storage and hot tub balcony. As a side note, the prices were already increasing...we're sailing the Grandiosa this spring and looked at booking a duplex suite but they are priced $2200 more for a family of three than on last year's Meriviglia (similiar itinerary, same week, and BEFORE the move to YC!) Fingers crossed that we'll somehow survive our balcony stateroom! 😋

We just booked two duplex YC suites on the Meriviglia for the thanksgiving sailing. One for 3 people was 12.8k and the other for 4 people was 13.8k. We reserved the rooms and will apply casino discounts later, but the prices now are crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TampaGambler said:

We just booked two duplex YC suites on the Meriviglia for the thanksgiving sailing. One for 3 people was 12.8k and the other for 4 people was 13.8k.

Holy cow!!  Our Aurea Duples on the Meraviglia in the Med, Thanksgiving 2018 was $4.1K for a family of 4. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch! they are lovely but we paid just over £4K all in for a family of four in 2017. We did look again when booking this year but were well out of our reach. At the time we thought it was just timing but perhaps above is a better indicator. Glad we got the opportunity when we did!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...