Not alot of good reviews about Anthem on the web

So, I found a decent deal and got a last minute cruise to Anthem on March 22-29..... leaves out of Cape Liberty

I've never been on this class of ship.... biggest I've been on is Oasis & loved it. Honestly I've loved every cruise that I've been on. Sure there are always things to pick out negative if you want. But for the most part, I'm laid back and take things in stride. That being said, there isn't alot of positive out there about the Quantum class.

Which makes me a tad bit nervous..... is it because most of these boats don't sail from the US?

Also I'm a midwest gal,.....so I'm used to varying weather temps. I didn't think leaving out of Cape Liberty was going to be that big of a deal, but now my family has me scared to death that there will be a winter storm or something keeping me from getting there during March 22-29..... Also they made it seem like we won't have much warm weather..... did I make a mistake choosing this cruise? I thought it would be a good one because I have active boys 13 & 10.....but we also don't want to be cold....

I was getting all excited, and now I'm a bit nervous...

Any Anthem fans out there? Anyone choose Cape Liberty often? Is it really going to be that cold?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beccaewert said:

That being said, there isn't alot of positive out there about the Quantum class.

Perhaps you are reading something in the wrong places? Read this one: 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 3

I've been on 3, loved all 3. Videos posted above, if that doesn't look like fun, I don't know what to tell ya 😉

You're going to have a blast.  Almost every thing there is to do is indoors, its perfect for cold weather actually.

Edited by Moltar
  • Like 1

I have read positive reviews.... don't get me wrong.... but there are more negative than positive

Like I said earlier,.... I always try to find the good.

There aren't alot of trip reports on here about anthem or any of her sister ships and I was curious as to why. Ive found a couple...but there are definitely more for the other classes.

I just didn't know if it was because of the ship, or the itinerary or even Cape Liberty?

Just trying to see what others have had with their experiences--- good or bad

1 minute ago, Moltar said:

I've been on 3, loved all 3. Videos posted above, if that doesn't look like fun, I don't know what to tell ya 😉

You're going to have a blast.  Almost every thing there is to do is indoors, its perfect for cold weather actually.

Thank you for sharing!

Did you leave out of Cape Liberty? how was your embarkation and debarkation? Smoothly or would you purchase the Key to help with this?

I am fan of Anthem, just got of her earlier this week.  Fourth time on her.

You kids will love the SeaPlex and the indoor pool area.  

A part of me struggles with promoting this ship because if more people begin to like it as I do then fares will increase.    Maybe I should start writing bad reviews as well.  

The original Quantum class were designed to be cold weather ships.  That's why they are placed in other regions - they are suited to that climate.  The newest version being built right now is being adapted to be more of a warm weather ship and will be placed in Florida.

Florida is the cruise capital of the world.  That's why there are so many reviews for other ships.

BTW - don't call it a boat in front of the Captain  🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

Just now, twangster said:

I am fan of Anthem, just got of her earlier this week.  Fourth time on her.

You kids will love the SeaPlex and the indoor pool area.  

A part of me struggles with promoting this ship because if more people begin to like it as I do then fares will increase.    Maybe I should start writing bad reviews as well.  

The original Quantum class were designed to be cold weather ships.  That's why they are placed in other regions - they are suited to that climate.  The newest version being built right now is being adapted to be more of a warm weather ship and will be placed in Florida.

Florida is the cruise capital of the world.  That's why there are so many reviews for other ships.

BTW - don't call it a boat in front of the Captain  🤣🤣🤣

Thank you for your insight. This helps me understand her better..... makes sense what you said about being cold weather ships.

Ohhh and yes.... we only have lakes around here so my mistake for calling it a boat lol 

Just now, Biker19 said:

That's why this site is called Cruise Critic - that's normal.

Lol-- yes I try to take people's opinions for what they are.... but I was hearing alot of negative and it made me second guess my choice...

Thanks for the insight!

First  and last day twill be chilly but there is plenty to do inside. Threat of heavy snow is minimal at that time of year. I've been on her 8 times in the past three years. Just got off am eleven night last Thursday, and getting back on in three weeks. The only issue we've ever had was a kosherameroca cruise but that's another story.

4 minutes ago, mets123 said:

First  and last day twill be chilly but there is plenty to do inside. Threat of heavy snow is minimal at that time of year. I've been on her 8 times in the past three years. Just got off am eleven night last Thursday, and getting back on in three weeks. The only issue we've ever had was a kosherameroca cruise but that's another story.

Not even sure what that is.... Do you mean you were Kosher? Sorry for sounding ignorant lol

18 minutes ago, beccaewert said:

Thank you for sharing!

Did you leave out of Cape Liberty? how was your embarkation and debarkation? Smoothly or would you purchase the Key to help with this?

Yes all 3 out of Cape Liberty. My advice for embarkation day, get there between 10am and 11am the latest. The traffic line starts to really get long and takes FOREVER to reach the dropoff point. My first Anthem cruise I was looking at the Ship only 300 feet away for almost 2 hours, drove me nuts!!  Get there early before the mayhem.  Disembarkation is always easy for me because I live only 40 minutes away, greatest feeling ever knowing no airport, no flights, just home sweet home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moltar said:

Yes all 3 out of Cape Liberty. My advice for embarkation day, get there between 10am and 11am the latest. The traffic line starts to really get long and takes FOREVER to reach the dropoff point. My first Anthem cruise I was looking at the Ship only 300 feet away for almost 2 hours, drove me nuts!!  Get there early before the mayhem.  Disembarkation is always easy for me because I live only 40 minutes away, greatest feeling ever knowing no airport, no flights, just home sweet home.

What's the earliest I can get there? When do they open? I fly in the night before..... living in the midwest (Indiana) there is no getting away without flying unless I want to drive for a day or two....

From my past experience I would want to be at the ship by between 10 and 11am. Earlier no problem may just have to sit for a little in the cruise terminal. Trust me, when you see that traffic line, you will be so thankful.

Edited by Moltar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, beccaewert said:

What's the earliest I can get there? When do they open?  ...

You don't want to get there too early because you will be in the midst of people disembarking from the previous cruise.  I'd shoot for 10am.

• Like 1

Been on Anthem twice....going a third time in Dec 2020.

I only have 2 complaints about Anthem

1. If you book suites in the back.....it is a long walk from the elevators

2. In many sections of the ship, it is easy to forget you are at sea since you can't easily see outside.  This is considered by some a 'feature' of this class of ship, but I much rather prefer looking left and right and easily seeing water while on a cruise.

We always get to terminal between 10am and 10:15am.....and are on boat within 20 minutes.

Edited by dodgestang
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dodgestang said:

Been on Anthem twice....going a third time in Dec 2020.

I only have 2 complaints about Anthem

1. If you book suites in the back.....it is a long walk from the elevators

2. In many sections of the ship, it is easy to forget you are at sea since you can't easily see outside.  This is considered by some a 'feature' of this class of ship, but I much rather prefer looking left and right and easily seeing water while on a cruise.

My only gripe too, limited views. I miss Radiance class so much.

Edited by Moltar

Go to Liberty Science Center in Jersey City, not expensive. Hotels, I dont know never stayed out there.

Awesome science center for kids, they will love it. Largest planetarium in the western hemisphere too!

Edited by Moltar
  • Like 1

I sailed on Anthem for the first time in November when there was a storm and we sat in Cape Liberty for 2 days and the only port we could visit was CocoaCay.  Even with all those problems, Anthem is my favorite ship.  My 33rd cruise is in 16 days and I’m sailing on her again. 

We’re staying again at Embassy Suites near Newark airport.  Very nice and comfortable hotel.

Edited by sellwingri
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, beccaewert said:

Any good recommendations for hotels nearby for the night before? We get in at 9:30 am..... Anything you would recommend a mom and 2 boys doing for the day before? 13 & 10 ages

Several in Elizabeth: Residence Inn, Country Inn & Suites, Courtyard.

Also see East Coast Departures forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

• Like 1

When I first cruised on Anthem I was a bit reluctant... I didnt't want to cruise on anything that large (I love voyager class and thought that would bet the maximum size ship that I would sail on)...  But, I went as we were sailing with 5 other couples... Well, I l loved it.  While the ship is larger (you will definitely get your steps in), there are enough venues to hide the crowds (with the exception, of course, of when shows get out).   Food was above average (we didn't go to any specialty venues).  Crew was GREAT...   

Yes, it is an awkward layout if you are used to the "classic" promenade or centrum based ships, but it works.   Once you learn where everything is you will love it.

I have already done a second sailing on her and am contemplating others in the future.

Steve