Do I have to hand carry-on my CPAP as stated??

recycler60

6 minutes ago, recycler60 said:

I'm traveling on the Dream on Feb. 3rd, and saw in carnivals boarding info to hand carry my CPAP machine. I would really rather check it with my bags. Any advice?

Thanks.

Carnival's FAQ's page and Special Needs Department advises that all medical devices and prescription medicines be with you in the event your luggage becomes misplaced and/or delayed.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

And just know that your CPAP may end up at the bottom of a luggage cart, with a couple of hundred pounds of luggage on top of it.  There is no special handling of baggage, and the baggage handlers are not cruise line employees, and the cruise line will not be held responsible for damages caused by the baggage handlers.

• Like 2

i have cruised with my mom who did not get her checked suitcase for over a day. she has also been on a cruise where it was found on the next to last night of the cruise. do you really want to risk your cpap like that? i never check any expensive electronics (i don't count my cheapy travel alarm in there), medicine, jewelry.

I would carry it on. My husband has always traveled with his as a carry on. Basically, we just don’t trust the airlines or cruise lines to not lose it. Yeah, I’m sure it would be fine, but in the small chance it wasn’t, it could really affect the enjoyment of our vacation. 

The answer to your question CAN you put it in your checked bag is yes.  SHOULD you is another question entirely as many have pointed out.

I normally carry it.  The case mine goes in easily stays on top of my rolling carry on bag with the strap around the handle, so it is no big deal to bring along. The potential for a lost bag and the resultant effect of stopping breathing a couple dozen times a night makes it an easy decision for me.