Whale watching in PV or Cabo?

NW Watty

5 hours ago, Aunt D said:

Is there any chance I could see whales in May?emoji3.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are always a handful that seem to hang around all year long but don't count on seeing one. Definitely don't waste money on a whale watching trip. End of the season is typically mid April but numbers start dwindling earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

At best it will be iffy. We did an Ocean Rider whale watching tour on a zodiac boat in middle/late April and saw zero whales. When the whales depart each year changes so April is always somewhat risky. But there's a decent chance you will just spend 2-3 hours looking with no results. My personal opinion is the best time to see the whales is Feb-early March. We've had great success in Feb. I even got a great photo on a Feb 09, 2008 trip on the Pez Gato Catamaran in Cabo. It was taken with a Canon Powershot S3 (so-so camera back then and I was real lucky with the shot). We even converted the picture to canvas and it hangs in our home. Our March trip was just ok with a few whales seen, but nothing like the February trip.

Cabo Vacation - Feb 09-16, 2008 - Whale Watching, Pez Gato 027 (modified for desktop wallpaper - straighten).jpg

On 2/3/2020 at 2:40 PM, SDPadreFan said:

At best it will be iffy. We did an Ocean Rider whale watching tour on a zodiac boat in middle/late April and saw zero whales. When the whales depart each year changes so April is always somewhat risky. But there's a decent chance you will just spend 2-3 hours looking with no results. My personal opinion is the best time to see the whales is Feb-early March. We've had great success in Feb. I even got a great photo on a Feb 09, 2008 trip on the Pez Gato Catamaran in Cabo. It was taken with a Canon Powershot S3 (so-so camera back then and I was real lucky with the shot). We even converted the picture to canvas and it hangs in our home. Our March trip was just ok with a few whales seen, but nothing like the February trip.

Cabo Vacation - Feb 09-16, 2008 - Whale Watching, Pez Gato 027 (modified for desktop wallpaper - straighten).jpg

Thanks so much for the info, it has definitely helped us decide what to do during our day in port.

And that is a great photo!!

• 4 weeks later...

We will be doing our first non-caribbean trip at the end of Nov. I think we hit Cabo 12/1. Is that too early for whale watching? Never been out the west coast, so not sure what to expect. 

It's a definite maybe. The whales normally arrive sometime early December to mid December. Best time to see them is late December to mid February in my opinion. So as early as Dec 01, you "might" see a few whales but probably not a significant number. If they are around, it's not unusual to see right in the bay where the cruise ships park.

We have a timeshare on the Pacific Ocean side of Cabo (Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach) and in February, it's pretty normal to see them spy hopping right off shore. Close enough to throw a Ritz Cracker at them.

Edited by SDPadreFan

On 1/24/2020 at 9:49 AM, Aunt D said:

Is there any chance I could see whales in May?emoji3.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe! We were seeing them in late May up in Alaska already. I would do some research, you could find numbers of what is "normal" for that time period. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katwoman007 said:

Maybe! We were seeing them in late May up in Alaska already. I would do some research, you could find numbers of what is "normal" for that time period. 

All the humpbacks and grays don't leave Alaska every season. Some stay there year around. Plus late May is definitely time for them to arriving back in Alaska. So your sightings are not out of the norm.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We did a whale watching excursion in Cabo on Mar. 21st, 2019. We only saw two whales, and only one whale breach the water. However, our excursion took us out to El Arco and we saw some sea lions as well. 

We still had a fun time, but the tour guides mentioned we got there just at the end of the season. 

• 2 months later...

I used Whale Watch Cabo .com and thought it was a great tour. Educational and fun. Saw a ton of whales super close. They take professional quality pictures and give you a link, included in the price. Can’t recommend them highly enough. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 7:45 PM, archie23 said:

I used Whale Watch Cabo .com and thought it was a great tour. Educational and fun. Saw a ton of whales super close. They take professional quality pictures and give you a link, included in the price. Can’t recommend them highly enough. 

Hi.  Looked at this website and it looks really nice.  I see it goes out of the Marina.  Do you know where the ship tenders?  i.e. do we need transportation from the tender dock to the marina? Thanks