Flying With Wedding Dress

runner2013

Hi all,

I have a question for all the Destination brides out there. How did you fly your dress to your ceremony location?. (preferably either American or Delta Airlines) Did you buy it a seat-yes I would consider it if absolutely necessary-or bring it as a carry on, hoping there was a first class closet to hang it in, or last resort, put it in the overhead bin(yikes). Checking it is not even an option.. I wouldn't let it out of my sight under any circumstances.

Would it be worth it to bring a portable garment steamer in case there were wrinkles needing to be taken care of once we get to our location ?

Thanks

• 7 months later...
On 1/21/2020 at 3:46 PM, runner2013 said:

Hi all,

I have a question for all the Destination brides out there. How did you fly your dress to your ceremony location?. (preferably either American or Delta Airlines) Did you buy it a seat-yes I would consider it if absolutely necessary-or bring it as a carry on, hoping there was a first class closet to hang it in, or last resort, put it in the overhead bin(yikes). Checking it is not even an option.. I wouldn't let it out of my sight under any circumstances.

Would it be worth it to bring a portable garment steamer in case there were wrinkles needing to be taken care of once we get to our location ?

Thanks

Hopefully, if you planned for a destination wedding fro the jump, you also planned for a dress that travels well. A dress must be carried on for your own sanity. I will not begin to tell you shipped or checked dress horror stories. If you kindly ask airline staff to hang the dress (and it is not huge), most will oblige--but it shouldn't be so large that it requires booking a separate seat otherwise the dress will be a beast to travel with every step of the way. 

I carried a fairly powerful magnetic hook and steamer onboard. The hook gave me room to steam the dress and train and shoot a pretty cool photo of the dress hanging in front of the balcony slider.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I purchased a very large duffle with wheels that could go on the plane with me.

I had my dress a long train shoes hair pieces all together. I rolled my dress and long train for the least amount of wrinkling. I had my shoes in a shoes bag at the bottom and my jewelry on the side in a pouch. I put the overhead on the plane. It worked perfect.

My dress was an A line and my detachable train was about 10 ft. all chiffon and lace.

if you have satin you are going to be really wrinkled no matter what. If a ball gown it’s going to really be a challenge depending on how wide it gets. I hope this helps.

12 hours ago, Brendaflamingo said:

I purchased a very large duffle with wheels that could go on the plane with me.

I had my dress a long train shoes hair pieces all together. I rolled my dress and long train for the least amount of wrinkling. I had my shoes in a shoes bag at the bottom and my jewelry on the side in a pouch. I put the overhead on the plane. It worked perfect.

My dress was an A line and my detachable train was about 10 ft. all chiffon and lace.

if you have satin you are going to be really wrinkled no matter what. If a ball gown it’s going to really be a challenge depending on how wide it gets. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, its a great idea. I'm leaning towards a mermaid/trumpet dress so rolling it may be a good option. 🙂