Wine by the bottle package

CruzCanada

I've read about the basic details of the package but wondering about the mechanics of how it works. On HAL they had a similar package and the way it worked was we were charged up front for all 7 (i think) bottles of wine and then chose each bottle wine when at a restaurant or bar. They stored whatever we didn't drink for another time. We didn't have to choose all our picks ahead of time and we could get the same bottle multiple times. What was good is if we tried a new wine one night we might order it again. Hard to do if you don't know the wines and need to pre order ahead of drinking.

Is the above  how Oceania works or do we have to choose all 7  bottles upfront when buying the package?

Thanks

25 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

One must choose all 7 bottles at the time of purchase. 

and you can buy all or some of one (or more) particular items. We always peruse the list on boarding and sometimes find a "loss leader" that's worth grabbing 7 of them - most often a sparkler.

8 minutes ago, arima22 said:

The US retail for most of the wines offered in this program are $10-12. You could do far better bringing your own wine and paying the $25 corkage fee if you bring it to a restaurant.

Your basic concept of BYOB makes sense except that carting around a $10 bottle of wine would be a waste of time and energy. 

Now, if it was your $70 bottle to which would be added the $25 corkage, you'd be looking at a $300+ bottle price onboard (and a terrific dinner accompaniment).

First of all there isn’t a one size fits all answer to your question. On some cruises, the deal has been a package deal, take the preselected bottles in the package or don’t take the package. Other times, one can do some mixing and matching of the wines in the selection . The choices and options available appear to be at the discretion of the cellar master and his needs to dispose of inventory.

On my last couple of cruises, the “ loss leaders “ ,as discussed above , have not been in the packages. They have been listed in a separate option called “ Bin End Sales”. They are typically priced above those wines in the package. However, again, no “ one size fits all”! The cellar master creates the deals to most economically and swiftly move inventory.

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

First of all there isn’t a one size fits all answer to your question. On some cruises, the deal has been a package deal, take the preselected bottles in the package or don’t take the package. Other times, one can do some mixing and matching of the wines in the selection . The choices and options available appear to be at the discretion of the cellar master and his needs to dispose of inventory.

On my last couple of cruises, the “ loss leaders “ ,as discussed above , have not been in the packages. They have been listed in a separate option called “ Bin End Sales”. They are typically priced above those wines in the package. However, again, no “ one size fits all”! The cellar master creates the deals to most economically and swiftly move inventory.

Agreed.

Since we're usually doing cruises exceeding 3-4 weeks, we can only handle so much of our own wine at embarkation (most often 6-12 bottles).

So, one of our first stops on board is at the "wine display" where we pick up both the 7 bottle and "bin end" lists. BTW, just prior to that stop, I get into the ship Internet so I can look up those wines with which I am not familiar (I.e., most of the ines in the "7 bottle" package of mostly <$10 retail items).

I agree that the chances of getting decent wine on O at a good "restaurant" price are far better with the Bin End list. But, there are those few occasions when some one or two of the "seven bottle" deals are worth doing it. I've actually gotten Shramsberg Mirabelle on that deal (took all 7 bottles) and another wine that disappears quickly- Arboleda Carmenere. 

Just now, pinotlover said:

It was great when the Shramsberg was the House ( ship) bubbly! That deal is long past and the Mirabelle hasn’t been offered for what , 3-4 years? We’re now past the “ M” and into the Germain! 

And, when they had it, enough folks knew what they were doing - so much so that the stock disappeared in a few days. The Arboleda also quickly disappeared.

Another gem I once found on the Bin End list was Patz & Hall Chardonnay at 30% off.

Flatbush Flyer and Pinotlover, I know you bring wine on aboard, and seems sometimes a special bottle or two from home. Does it travel well? I imagine the changing temperatures of the flights and connections could take its toll. Does it settle down after a few days rest or do you only take wine that is good up to a point ?

If I’m traveling in or through hot weather, I don’t take older reds, say 10+ years. I have a cushioned carrier that holds 6 bottles that fits into my suitcase. As long as the suitcases aren’t sitting in the sun for hours , they’ll do OK. Give them a couple days to rest once aboard ship.

Except for older fragile wines, wine is a lot tougher than people believe. It regularly gets bounced around on delivery trucks and sat on delivery docks during all types of weather under much harsher conditions than they’ll see on airlines! 

• Like 1

This topic has indeed been discussed to the max.  However, to extend the BYOB idea a bit further:  when possible we buy a bottle or two when in a local port; take it to the room, where a bottle opener is conveniently provided;  and using wine glasses we’ve collected from a function the first day or two of the cruise (captain’ party) fill them and proceed to dinner.  No one blinks an eye.

12 minutes ago, catsngoats said:

This topic has indeed been discussed to the max.  However, to extend the BYOB idea a bit further:  when possible we buy a bottle or two when in a local port; take it to the room, where a bottle opener is conveniently provided;  and using wine glasses we’ve collected from a function the first day or two of the cruise (captain’ party) fill them and proceed to dinner.  No one blinks an eye.

Are you purposely baiting us to chastise you for your selfish need to violate a clearly stated policy (often repeated in the daily Currents because of exactly what you're describing)?

Well, I'll bite.

Removing function/restaurant glassware is a "nice touch" in order to avoid staff noticing use of the distinctively different cabin wine glasses. Just to avoid paying the corkage?  Shame on you.

Oceania's relatively liberal personal alcohol policies are predicated on folks following the rules. If you need to "test" that, you may want to pick a different cruise line. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, catsngoats said:

Would you also consider to steel from the people?🤨

23 hours ago, catsngoats said:

22 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Are you purposely baiting us to chastise you for your selfish need to violate a clearly stated policy (often repeated in the daily Currents because of exactly what you're describing)?

Well, I'll bite.

Removing function/restaurant glassware is a "nice touch" in order to avoid staff noticing use of the distinctively different cabin wine glasses. Just to avoid paying the corkage?  Shame on you.

Oceania's relatively liberal personal alcohol policies are predicated on folks following the rules. If you need to "test" that, you may want to pick a different cruise line. 

Well said.....Ditto.

19 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Nothing like bragging about how low class you are!! 🙄

and DITTO!

Thanks, all for the info on the wine packages. Headed out on our first Oceania cruise in April. Think I will spend some time with the wine list in advance since I won’t be putting wine in my suitcase to Papeete!  8 years in California have not made us wine snobs but we do know what we like!  
catsandgoats, think you got a gentle schooling.  I can’t imagine sneaking wine on board to save a few bucks or put one by the cruise line. Ugh. . .aN elegant cruise is not a high school prom. 

13 hours ago, muggo11 said:

Thanks, all for the info on the wine packages. Headed out on our first Oceania cruise in April. Think I will spend some time with the wine list in advance since I won’t be putting wine in my suitcase to Papeete!  8 years in California have not made us wine snobs but we do know what we like!  
catsandgoats, think you got a gentle schooling.  I can’t imagine sneaking wine on board to save a few bucks or put one by the cruise line. Ugh. . .aN elegant cruise is not a high school prom. 

Re Papeete, there have been posts that describe low taxes  and good selctions on French wines in the stores there -- the French supermarket chain Carrefour was mentioned.  Also a wine shop close to the cruise dock called Terre de Vigne.  Official policy allows bringing on 6 bottles per cabin, although apparently 12 passes without problem; free consumption in cabin, $25 per bottle corkage in the restaurants (a decent number of people do this) and bars.

Edited by Clutj
  • Like 3