Where have the libraries gone?

Tutorcruiser

Another option, which I discovered a few years ago...audio books and free ones from the library apps! I use Overdrive and Borrow Box (plus a paid subscription to Audible). You log on before you leave home, using your local library card, and you can download up to 10 books  - ebooks or audio books. Then as they run out, I download more via free Wi-Fi (I haven't tried downloading using HAL internet yet).  

We have kids, 9 and 11, and I love that I can lounge and keep an eye on the kids in the pool. Also in the cabin at night - I can turn the lights off whilst other sleep and listen to my book! (remember to add the sleep timer though as I have reached the end of the book without hearing a word 😂)

Happy to find the Veendam still had most of its library intact along with the Exploration Cafe there which we like. I do NOT like the combo they now have on larger ships up in the Crows Nest...definitely not the same atmosphere. Love days at sea with the cruisers drinking coffees, working on puzzles, researching upcoming ports, visiting, perusing the library books, as well as hearing some of the music from the Explorers Lounge across the way...that is cruising to me!  Yes, we have Kindles, iPads, etc. loaded with books "in case we don't see something in the stacks" but we always do!

On 2/2/2020 at 3:33 PM, janmcn said:

Happy to find the Veendam still had most of its library intact along with the Exploration Cafe there which we like. I do NOT like the combo they now have on larger ships up in the Crows Nest...definitely not the same atmosphere. Love days at sea with the cruisers drinking coffees, working on puzzles, researching upcoming ports, visiting, perusing the library books, as well as hearing some of the music from the Explorers Lounge across the way...that is cruising to me!  Yes, we have Kindles, iPads, etc. loaded with books "in case we don't see something in the stacks" but we always do!

I'm with you!  We do take our e-readers but much prefer browsing the library and finding other authors and titles.  For that reason, among others, we prefer the R and S class ships.  If they do away with the libraries on those ships, I will not sail HAL again for anything other than a 7-day Caribbean cruise, but we like the long cruises better.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 7:24 PM, shudie said:

Another option, which I discovered a few years ago...audio books and free ones from the library apps! I use Overdrive and Borrow Box (plus a paid subscription to Audible).

I. too, use the public libraries for my eBooks.

Each library has a different limit to the number of eBooks you can have checked out at any one time. The libraries where I have accounts vary from six to 30. After I have read all those that I have preloaded on my Kindle Fire and Paperwhite, I have found that shipboard Internet packages are fast enough to let me log on with my laptop and find another batch to download to the portable devices.

I miss the libraries on the ships mostly for the nice reading areas, but there are still quite a few comfortable seats in the same area where the libraries used to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IPB4IGO said:

Each library has a different limit to the number of eBooks you can have checked out at any one time. The libraries where I have accounts vary from six to 30. After I have read all those that I have preloaded on my Kindle Fire and Paperwhite, I have found that shipboard Internet packages are fast enough to let me log on with my laptop and find another batch to download to the portable devices.

I miss the libraries on the ships mostly for the nice reading areas, but there are still quite a few comfortable seats in the same area where the libraries used to be.

On my two recent Volendam and Eurodam cruises, I saw many guests reading hardback as well as paperback books rather than the electronic books on the market.  The demographics of these guests were broad.  Those of us who are older were not the only ones enjoyed reading books being held in hand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IPB4IGO said:

That's good to know re downloading on board - both of the above mentioned have a 10 book limit. 

Just back from an Oosterdam cruise and ran into several passengers who had no idea that libraries had been removed from most HAL ships.  They were frantic for something to read.  There was only a small handful of books in the Paperback Exchange box in the Crow's Nest and most of those were foreign language books.  We brought a dozen books with us and put them out as soon as we read them.  These would disappear within an hour at most.  I saw other passengers quietly handing books off to fellow passengers as if it were "black market contraband."  Really a sad sight to see.

1 hour ago, comcox said:

Just back from an Oosterdam cruise and ran into several passengers who had no idea that libraries had been removed from most HAL ships.  They were frantic for something to read.  There was only a small handful of books in the Paperback Exchange box in the Crow's Nest and most of those were foreign language books.  We brought a dozen books with us and put them out as soon as we read them.  These would disappear within an hour at most.  I saw other passengers quietly handing books off to fellow passengers as if it were "black market contraband."  Really a sad sight to see.

Wish HAL would realize that not everyone likes Kindles and etc.  There are a lot of us that are old fashion and prefer to sit down and read a real book.

• Like 6

I am also old and happen to like horses.  I would love to ride a horse when I go to our local Supermarket but would be violating several laws if I we

15 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Wish HAL would realize that not everyone likes Kindles and etc.  There are a lot of us that are old fashion and prefer to sit down and read a real book.

Some of us are old fashioned and prefer horses over cars.  I have an old friend who actually would prefer an old party line to the newfangled phones.  Times change.  Folks either change with the times or they will be left behind.  DW still prefers to hold a real book.  But she also understands that when we travel, using our Kindles makes a lot more sense.  I like having more then 100 unread books on my Kindle and knowing that all those books weigh less then a pound.  And I can read them in direct sunlight, a dark room, don't have to worry about them getting a few drops of water splashed on them, etc. 

It is a shame about the libraries disappearing.  But some of us feel the same about HAL ships no longer having sails.

Hank

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oregonhiker said:

We do like libraries too, but the main problem IMHO is that there's no place to sit! Useless video screens and loud people selling shore excursions take away from what was a relaxing experience.

I tried one of the video screens in the Crow's Nest on Oosterdam and it didn't even work.  There was a section of the Nest set up for talks of some kind but nothing ever happened there during our 18-day cruise so it was wasted space that would have been so much more used if it were set up with comfortable chairs for reading or watching the scenery.

21 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I would encourage everyone who feels this way to write to HAL directly at Holland America Line N.V., 450 Third Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119.

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

DW still prefers to hold a real book.  But she also understands that when we travel, using our Kindles makes a lot more sense.  I like having more then 100 unread books on my Kindle and knowing that all those books weigh less then a pound.  And I can read them in direct sunlight, a dark room, don't have to worry about them getting a few drops of water splashed on them, etc. 

Hank

Not to mention that if one were to be quarantined in one's room for two weeks, having a Kindle with over 100 unread books would be greatly preferable to having an onboard library that is inaccessible....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not to mention that if one were to be quarantined in one's room for two weeks, having a Kindle with over 100 unread books would be greatly preferable to having an onboard library that is inaccessible....

Yes...and not to mention that it's impossible to keep a library sanitary.  Seems like given the current challenges faced by the cruise lines, libraries are gone for good.

What I love (and miss) is the ambience.  The Zaandam’s library was amazing.  It is a popular spot with perfect proximity to the coffee bar.  The old Crows Nests on the Vista ships used to be that way too.  The monitors blocking the bow-view and the e-tables are a big waste of space and money.  The EXC desk is also a misuse of space.  You now have two separate and special-purpose bars crammed together so the staff are bumping into each other and the guests are asking them where to get coffee but you have a giant EXC desk with staff who can’t even be bothered to help you; maybe because it was such a long way for them to walk. It’s two extremes of ridiculousness.

Apparently I need another coffee.  😳

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

What I love (and miss) is the ambience.  The Zaandam’s library was amazing.  It is a popular spot with perfect proximity to the coffee bar.  The old Crows Nests on the Vista ships used to be that way too.  The monitors blocking the bow-view and the e-tables are a big waste of space and money.  The EXC desk is also a misuse of space.  You now have two separate and special-purpose bars crammed together so the staff are bumping into each other and the guests are asking them where to get coffee but you have a giant EXC desk with staff who can’t even be bothered to help you; maybe because it was such a long way for them to walk. It’s two extremes of ridiculousness.

Apparently I need another coffee.  😳

Sounds like a terrible mash-up. I hope they will re-think it at some point, even absent an actual library...  

In a related vein, we loved the various Crow's Nests on the Vista Class and Prinsendam.   Whoever ordered the changes must have  been somebody who has spent very little time cruising on a Vista Class ship.

Hank

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Yes...and not to mention that it's impossible to keep a library sanitary.  Seems like given the current challenges faced by the cruise lines, libraries are gone for good.

Fred Olsen cruises has a crew member wipe down all books as they are returned to the library.  Not a total guarantee but does help.  When you really think about it no place on the ship is completely sanitary.  I read an article once that stated the most germ laden area was the elevator buttons--are they going to eliminate those?

3 hours ago, comcox said:

Fred Olsen cruises has a crew member wipe down all books as they are returned to the library.  Not a total guarantee but does help.  When you really think about it no place on the ship is completely sanitary.  I read an article once that stated the most germ laden area was the elevator buttons--are they going to eliminate those?

NO - duh - THEY WIPE THOSE DONE MANY TIMES A DAY -  but thanks for the profound question

3 hours ago, comcox said:

Every page?  Or, just the cover?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

How many people use libraries the world over?  Libraries are everywhere: towns, schools, hospitals, offices, ships... you name it.  The whole germs-on-books tangent is silly.

Agree.  If you want to avoid germs, stay off cruise ships completely.

9 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

How many people use libraries the world over?  Libraries are everywhere: towns, schools, hospitals, offices, ships... you name it.  The whole germs-on-books tangent is silly.

Perhaps, but not the fear of being quarantined in one's cabin with no access to a library. I'm on a Westerdam cruise around Japan in April, in an inside cabin... :classic_ohmy: