Turtle Centre vs Stingray City, Hell, and Turtle Center

vivelerock88

Hi, 

Has anyone done either of these tours through Carnival or another ship or similar tour? DH and I are debating between just the Turtle Centre and the excursion that also includes Hell and Stingray City. I've seen really positive and really negative reviews about both options. DH really wants to see the birds in the aviary at the turtle centre (this only seems to be available in the longer turtle only excursion) and I really want to spend some time in the sea (like with the sting rays. We both want to see animals so at least we're in agreement there. 

Can anyone tell me about their experiences at any of these three locations (string ray city, turtle center, and Hell)? Is Hell really interesting? Does sting ray city differ in any way from other sting ray excursions? Is the turtle centre interesting enough to enjoy for the entire I think it was 4.5 hour excursion? 

Thanks! 

We did the one that goes to Hell, Turtle center, then Stingray City.  It was perfect for us.  The first one is just a photo stop for 15 minutes, the Turtle place was about 45 minutes which is about all you could do there also...then Stingray city is a boat ride out and time in water with boat ride back, then bus back to port.  We really enjoyed it.

my video of Stingray City:

We did Hell, Stingray City and turtles in the summer of 2018.  I don't remember seeing any birds while at the turtle farm. They may have been around but we didn't see them. We all got to hold a turtle if we wanted and did a quick tour of the place.   Hell was okay; really not a lot to see. The stingrays were pretty amazing. We had adequate time at each location; I think we spent the most time with the stingrays.  I would not have wanted to just do the turtle farm. 

Stingray city is one of my favorite things to do in GC.  I never miss a chance to do it every time I’m there.  The turtle farm and Hell are touristy and if you’ve seen them once, you’ve seen them.   I do not book stingray tour through the ship. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hell is a geo formation - you need about 10 minutes tops there to snap some pics and maybe post some letters with the hell postmark.  Neat for a first time visitor but no need to revisit.

I have done the turtle farm and I was a bit disturbed by the state of the pools (dirty and smelly).  I don't think I could go back - Ive seen turtles in the ocean and they are truly beautiful animals.  Be aware that this is a meat farm.  See article here and decide for yourself:  https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/05/wildlife-watch-cayman-turtle-farm-welfare-controversy/#close.  Not to dissuade you but just sharing so you can make an informed decision. 

I recommend a separate stingray tour.  This is out in the ocean.  Pick a tour with a private provider that takes smaller groups.  Lots of options there.  Enjoy your stay in GC