One way air

Caymus88

2 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

Has anyone booked one way to the cruise

Then booked on your own for return?

I tried to book round trip, but the return was at 5pm. 
we would be sitting in airport for 8/hours

You would be choosing to sit at the airport for 8 hours.

One Way/Round trip,,,, the flights are the same flights

To answer your question, millions of people each day book one way trips. I do. For business all the time. I know when I have to be somewhere but I don't know when I can fly home. Thus, one way tickets.

Other option when getting off the ship and have a late flight departure

1. Rent a car and sight see

2. Get a Day Pass at a local hotel so you can sleep/rest/shower before flight/enjoy the pool/etc.

3. Take a last day ship sponsored excursion where you keep your luggage on the bus, go on the excursion, and the bus takes you to the airport around 1 or 2PM.

Edited by klfrodo

I meant booking through cruise line one way. Bos to tampa

Then booking my on my own the return flight. Their return flights are very late through the cruise line

Edited by Caymus88
Added

The cruise line won't seek to customize your flights with earlier flights? They might be able to get as good a price, so they put you on less convenient flights that they can get cheap.

Otherwise, I don't know why you can't book one way through them, and one way on your own.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 8:15 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I always book separate one way unless there is a much cheaper round trip.   Try checking Google Flights and see what they come up with.    They often recommend booking on separate tickets. 

One issue to consider is that, if your plans change, you run in to the potential of having two change fees (one for each way) versus just one if you have a roundtrip booked. May or may not still be worth it, but something to consider. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 3:05 PM, Caymus88 said:

I meant booking through cruise line one way. Bos to tampa

Then booking my on my own the return flight. Their return flights are very late through the cruise line

Don't rely on the online booking engines. Call the cruiseline's air desk with the flights you want to take and see how they compare to booking on your own.

To OP, yes you can choose to have only the flight you want included by NCL.  We did this, no problem.  Have outbound flight included in our "free or reduced" flights by NCL, choose to book our own on the return flight, as we wanted direct, first class.  But did tell them at time of booking. so our Summary shows are flights one way, not ticketed yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. We have done cruise air for one ways overseas and on several occasions the cost of booking one ways direct was the same or less. Since retiring we sometimes do not know where we will end up so a one way ticket is the way we go.  Doing that on our current trip.

if we fly into FLL area we price one ways and returns.  It is not unusual for us to fly into FLL, MIA, or PBI and return home on a different airline/different airport.

Edited by iancal

Have you considered booking one-way flights on Southwest?  No change fees and you can re-book if the fare goes down and apply the funds to a future flight if it's within a year.