do hero cards really get workers half day off?

luckyinpa

On bliss the concierge told us for each hero card that a worker gets half a day off. Unsure if this applies to the rest of the ship as well.  but regardless I find this statement hard to be true. In haven we had 288 people over Christmas. Assume 10% of those people gave hero cards in (I have no clue how many really do but probably more). And assume they only thanked one employee (unlikely situation as is probably much more because if you write one, you probably write more.)  that’s 28 cards for one worker. Or 14 days off.  If they get that many over the course of a year (I’ll assume there are 30 cruises in the 10 months they have in their contract years) that means 14 days off x 30 cruises which is 520 days off.

Even if only 1% of people give hero cards, that’s 3 cards for the one worker which is 1.5 days off. Multiplied by 30 cruises that’s 45 days off over 10 months. Im 99% sure no cruise employee gets that off during their working period.

So given the math I believe that statement that half day for each card is totally false.  Especially if you extrapolate to the entire 4000 on the ship. but math class is over for that day

What seems more reasonable, in my opinion, is that a worker receives their "Hero" pin and time off for their first hero card.  Subsequent hero cards probably are a factor in bonuses and/or additional time off, but not on a one for one basis. 

• Like 1

I could see getting a hero card filled out may take them "eligible" for something...maybe from a drawing, maybe the most cards in a month...but everyone who gets a card, gets a half day off...no way I believe that.  

• Like 2

I had a discussion about this with a bartender. they told me that the cards are added and then ranked. the supervisor of that dept. then has some input on who gets reward.  the reward was 1 night in a cabin and dinner In a specialty dining room with a guest,

• Like 2

As we've gotten "better" at cruising, we've become more serious about Hero cards. We ask to take photos of name tags so we make sure we get their names correct. 

Usually on the last day, we split them up and write up the cards (sometimes at a bar 😋). We know they mean a lot to the staff. I know that they are supposed to give everyone excellent service -- I just see this as a way to show their supervisors that they are doing their jobs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were told by a staff member that these cards were SUPER IMPORTANT! Days off in port are awarded as are new ships to be assigned to and also there are drawings for other items, 

These folks work very hard and are away from family for a long time, so we always make sure to keep tabs on those workers that really hustle and we keep a list. We collect the "Hero" cards at the Atrium desk and we split the duty between my husband and I, worth it to help out a hard working person. Then deposit the filled out cards in the Atrium or Haven front Desks.

4 hours ago, Joken35 said:

dinner In a specialty dining room with a guest,

Would have LOVED for this to have been the case in October, had one crew member we absolutely LOVED, to the point that I'd love to try to plan my next trip around what ship she's on if I can find out somehow.

Between myself and my 2 travel companions I think we filled out 7 or 8 cards with some duplicated as we were in 2 cabins.

You misunderstood.  Each ship runs their own program.  Generally, the hero cards are counted and passed back to the crew on a weekly basis.  The GM or his/her designee then uses those numbers to reward crew based on the number of cards they received that week/month etc.  It can be free dinners in specialty restaurants, morning/lunch off, cash prizes etc.  You will rarely see any crew rewarded with dinner off.  It is just too busy to lose even 1 crew.

4 hours ago, brookie848 said:

As we've gotten "better" at cruising, we've become more serious about Hero cards. We ask to take photos of name tags so we make sure we get their names correct. 

That’s what we do. Collect a name tag photo and write our hero cards at night. Drop them off in the morning. 

51 minutes ago, hallux said:

Would have LOVED for this to have been the case in October, had one crew member we absolutely LOVED, to the point that I'd love to try to plan my next trip around what ship she's on if I can find out somehow.

Between myself and my 2 travel companions I think we filled out 7 or 8 cards with some duplicated as we were in 2 cabins.

I think you misunderstood...... they don't have dinner with a passenger they can have dinner with a fellow crew member (guest) 

3 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

I think you misunderstood...... they don't have dinner with a passenger they can have dinner with a fellow crew member (guest) 

Yup, I misunderstood.  At least we got a group picture with the staff member and have some great memories (the most important part).

5 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

Why doesn't everyone listen to Mr. Cheng who posted here.  He worked for Norwegian!

I do!  "Mr. Chief Engineer" is a real asset to CC.  I'm certain that back when he worked at NCL that's the way they recognized crew members on his ship(s).  What they do today could be different though.  I ALWAYS look forward to reading Mr. Chief Engineer's posts as he has firsthand knowledge on so many nautical related subjects.  

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

That’s what we do. Collect a name tag photo and write our hero cards at night. Drop them off in the morning. 

for newbies this means point to their name tag and say can i take a picture. they will then remove it and put it down. they know why you want it and it makes them happy

12 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

for newbies this means point to their name tag and say can i take a picture. they will then remove it and put it down. they know why you want it and it makes them happy

You should explain why you're taking the picture and not assume they know what it's for. Complaints made to Guest Services require the same information. 

On 1/22/2020 at 6:51 PM, esm54687 said:

Yes. Dining with a passenger is a fare worse than death. As platinum plus members, we have been to many Dine with an Officer dinners. Some crew engage and seem to enjoy it. Some, like the junior bridge officer we ate with on the Encore, walked off part way through dinner. Most constantly loo at their watches and when their time is up, excise themselves. 

Edited by BirdTravels

On 1/22/2020 at 3:43 PM, brookie848 said:

Usually on the last day, we split them up and write up the cards (sometimes at a bar 😋). We know they mean a lot to the staff. I know that they are supposed to give everyone excellent service -- I just see this as a way to show their supervisors that they are doing their jobs. 

We do the same. So many people worthy of recognition and we make the effort to do so.