how much effect does a CD have on your cruise fun?

cbowls30

We've cruised many times mainly on Royal carribbean, norweigan and carnival. We ended up becoming loyal to carnival after our first cruise with them a few years ago. We loved the 'fun' vibe, the interaction with crew and friendly activity staff. Unfortunately our past two carnival cruise's has shown us how much effect on the fun a poor CD/fun squad can have! The past two cruises the entertainment staff and mainly the CD where terrible! Hardly saw the CD around the ship, CD's never taking time to talk to anyone, almost just going through the motions to do what they must, no personality or interest in the guests, and, at times were pretty much rude!. Until recently we never really thought to check who the CD would be before booking a cruise, but in future we will do!

Does anybody book a particular ship/itinerary based on who is the CD?

I agree with @naxer - We don't book based on who the CD is but they definitely can enhance a cruise if they're a great CD. There have been some voyages where I couldn't tell you who our CD was, and then I have my 3 favorite CDs who I can remember so much about them because they were so fun. (Cookie, Dr. E, Mat Seguin)

Shrug CD have only a minor impact of my cruise.  I don't attend some things due to sailing alot or the hassle of crowds before and after.  

To me long as the flow of activities are ongoing for cruisers  that's  good for me.

I shake my head at some threads when people  get upset because a CD was warm or funny enough. What may be warm or funny or delightful to you,the person  next to you think otherwise.   If they dont answer an email or recall you from six months  ago or not engaging.   How many of these same folks are super chipper everyday at home or at work?  Of course it's their job but all of us has had going through the motions days.

Will it change my mind on a certain cruise if xyz is the CD,no.  My reason for picking a cruise is where it's going, the price  and vacation 

• Like 1

how much effect does a CD have on your cruise fun?

Absolutely none, unless she has a loud, screeching annoying voice that makes you want to rip your ears off and throw them in the water.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I never remember the CD.  There are some that I have enjoyed at various functions and some I found rather annoying but I assume it is personal preference.  I never remember their names after the cruise.  A CD would not make me book a cruise or not book a cruise.  I do believe their job is a lot harder than it looks and it is an important.  The vibe of the guests may also impact how they do their jobs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbowls30 said:

We've cruised many times mainly on Royal carribbean, norweigan and carnival. We ended up becoming loyal to carnival after our first cruise with them a few years ago. We loved the 'fun' vibe, the interaction with crew and friendly activity staff. Unfortunately our past two carnival cruise's has shown us how much effect on the fun a poor CD/fun squad can have! The past two cruises the entertainment staff and mainly the CD where terrible! Hardly saw the CD around the ship, CD's never taking time to talk to anyone, almost just going through the motions to do what they must, no personality or interest in the guests, and, at times were pretty much rude!. Until recently we never really thought to check who the CD would be before booking a cruise, but in future we will do!

Does anybody book a particular ship/itinerary based on who is the CD?

What CDs did you have?

10 minutes ago, NotTooCritical said:

What CDs did you have?

We've had two brilliant ones on vista - Matt mitchem and breeze Schwartz and one fairly dull on magic Simon london and a terrible one on spirit Chloe loddo 

• Like 1

The CD doesn't effect us.  But we don't do the deck parties, or all the party events after 10pm.  We don't do trivia.  But if you are night owl people I would think the CD would be important.  Emma was our CD on the Panorama, and she was amazing, very visible and always happy and glowing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cbowls30 said:

We've had two brilliant ones on vista - Matt mitchem and breeze Schwartz and one fairly dull on magic Simon london and a terrible one on spirit Chloe loddo 

I haven't sailed with Chloe, but I have sailed with the other three and I somewhat agree with you. Matt, Schwartz and Mikey were awesome! Simon was...ok. The only interaction I had with him was the Dr.Seuss story time and parade ( I was with my 5 yr old niece) and he did that well. Other than that, it wasn't much. I thought maybe it was me. I honestly can't remember if I went to the events he hosted, like the 80's party, but I figure maybe I just wasn't around much. Interesting to see you say the same. That whole cruise was so so for me. I had Simon on the Magic and even the ship didn't blow me away. I haven't booked a cruise based on the CD...yet. I'm booking one to cruise with Dr E. I heard he's similar to Matt and Schwartz in styles and everything I see of him online looks impressive. I've also heard good things about Mike Pack, The Flying Scottsman and Cookie. 

We have had some AMAZING CDs, and some mediocre, and worst is the ones that are just annoying.  Jen is the most annoying ever...

We loved Matt, Mike Pack, Schwartz, Dr E, and our new favorite Kyndall (we had her on Vista last Sept and just found out she is now on the Conquest and so are we in 2 weeks!)

CDs can really hurt a cruise but a great one can really be memorable.  

here is Matt from last April...

He was everywhere on ship, all day and all night....and interacted with every person, took photos with everyone, just a real PEOPLE person who loves his job.

• Like 1

I never thought a CD would make a bit of difference until I cruised with Matt Mitcham.  I had already cruised on several lines by then and the only one I could remember was an annoying one.  Matt set the bar.  He was so funny and entertaining that it made us enjoy the cruise more.  We later had MarQ on a cruise and he was just as good.  Very, very entertaining and funny.  Other than those two, the rest were all the same and not very memorable to me.

• Like 1

Normally they don't make much of a difference.  I think it was my second Carnival cruise where we had John Heald as our CD.  He was by far the best CD I have ever encountered.  I would absolutely book a cruise just because he was going to be the CD.

• Like 1