Cruise Critic News: Windstar Cruises Reveals New Restaurant Menu

LauraS

• Administrators

(4:30 p.m. EST) -- Windstar has released the menu for Cuadro 44 by Anthony Sasso, a new Spanish restaurant debuting on the line's three all-suite motor yachts. Sasso, one of the youngest chefs recognized by the Michelin guide (while at New York's Casa Mono), will take passengers on a culinary tour of Spain, starting with tomato bread (pan con ...

news?d=yIl2AUoC8zA news?d=qj6IDK7rITs
E01PF6N_JJs

View the full article

2 hours ago, O2B@Cagain said:

Is this going to be like Candles? Where you get one reservation/trip then more if there is availability?

I think I read someplace that this would be the case. Seems logical.

2 hours ago, O2B@Cagain said:

Is this going to be like Candles? Where you get one reservation/trip then more if there is availability?

None is likely to be the case if you don't sign up the first day or two.  After that, second reservations are apparently permitted.

Day-to-day dining spontaneity would be more luxurious in my opinion.

The restaurant will be even smaller than Candles with only 44 seats.  Even if they turn the seats 1.5 times (which I doubt they do), it’s still only 60 passengers a night and with 312 passenger onboard, it will leave only a bit of room for seconds. 

We usually book Candles on an late night in port evening (excluding the BBQ evening) or one where we are sailing slowly or with the wind. Chipshot you are right saying Amphora has great choices every evening, we also thought the same thing in November. Never ate the same thing over 2 weeks. 

We are on the third "post-stretch" sailing of the Breeze from PV to SD. Definitely looking forward to trying this and the new grill; I wonder if the new Star Grill will be the Candles replacement.

Admittedly we've never tried Candles. We always talk about it but like other have mentioned above, we really enjoy the food in Amphora.

8 hours ago, Misty Morning said:

You can assume it will be on one of the evenings when late in port.  If you tell me which cruise you are on, i can tell you when this BBQ is going to be held. Staff will also let you know when the BBQ is held is when you make reservations

We're on the Aug 25, 2020 Windstar Star Breeze 16 Night Transpacific Cruise

4 hours ago, O2B@Cagain said:

Mini: We like to go to Candles once, just for something different. I prefer the fish selections in Amphora....

We def want to try on our next sailing. On the Star Legend in Oct, we were in the lounge waiting for a table; waiting only because we requested a particular server. The F&B manager was at the bar with us and offered us a table at Candles because they weren't full. If they didn't have the scallop/green papaya-napa cabbage salad entree on that night in Amphora, we would have.

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/27/2020 at 1:54 AM, Misty Morning said:

You can assume it will be on one of the evenings when late in port.  If you tell me which cruise you are on, i can tell you when this BBQ is going to be held. Staff will also let you know when the BBQ is held is when you make reservations

On 1/27/2020 at 10:45 AM, patty1955 said:

We're on the Aug 25, 2020 Windstar Star Breeze 16 Night Transpacific Cruise

Does anyone have any idea when the BBQ will be held on our cruise?

patty: I don't know about your cruise, but on our Transatlantic, we were excited to have the trip unfold day by day. Every night we would get our newsletter which would announce what was going on. There were plenty of activities, many they don't have on a "regular" cruise. I think these things are dependent on the weather.