Kirkwall Port Excursion Selection

pappy1022

I'm down to my last decision on Regent British Isles port excursions. I would appreciate your thoughts on which one you would do. Thank you.

In Kirkwall my 2 choices are: (1) ORKNEY'S ARCHAEOLOGICAL WONDERS;- Explore the historical heartland of Orkney, visiting several medieval archaeological sites and the intriguing Scapa Flow Starting off from the pier, you will depart Kirkwall and head to the west of Mainland, Orkney's largest island. En-route, you will pass through the gentle rolling landscape of Orkney and into the Neolithic Heartland of Orkney; an area designated as a World Heritage Site due to its wealth of pre-historic archaeology. Passing the Standing Stones of Stenness (photo-stop if time permits), you will stop at the Ring of Brodgar; a huge ceremonial circle of stones dating back almost 5,000 years. Next, continue on to the 5,000-year-old village of Skara Brae, beautifully interpreted in the new visitor center. See the remarkable dwellings that were revealed from beneath the sand dunes by storms only 150 years ago. There will also be time to visit the nearby manor house of Skaill House, built in 1620 on top of an ancient graveyard. Your excursion has you following the coast of Scapa Flow, where you will hear some of the wartime stories, which make this one of the best-known stretches of water in the world - the site where the interned German naval fleet scuttled itself in the month of June 1919. Enjoy a scenic journey back to the pier where your tour concludes.

or (2)  NORTH ORKNEY EXPLORATION - Explore the lush natural terrain of Orkney's largest Island during this journey to the Brough of Birsay and Neolothic Heartland of Orkney, a World Heritage Site. Depart Kirkwall for the drive along the West Coast of Mainland, Orkney's largest island. Along the way, you will pass through the rolling countryside of the islands, and view the Northern Isles of Orkney in the distance. Next, you will pass by Eynnhallow Sound, a dramatic stretch of water where the Atlantic Ocean meets the North Sea, before pausing at the small tidal island at the Brough of Birsay. Here, a brief photo stop will be made to take in the spectacular views and photo opportunities before continuing on to a local tearoom for refreshments. You will then proceed for a visit to the Neolothic Heartland of Orkney, a World Heritage Site. Upon arrival, a stop will be made at the Standing Stones of Stenness, a 5,000-year-old circle of stones. Following your tour, you will rejoin your coach for the return drive to Kirkwall, traveling along the north shore of Scapa Flow.

I've done both, and enjoyed both (same port, different cruises). I thought the Ring of Brogdar in the first one was fascinating. But then, I'm a sucker for ruins. The second one gave a good bit more history, but that may have been because it involved more bus time, so more time for an historical narration. If I had to choose, I'd choose the first, but that's because of my thing with ruins.

We took the archaeological wonders small group tour.  The weather was putrid - s;eet and high winds in late August.  Nonetheless, we are archaeology buffs, and this was one of the best tours - Regent or otherwise - that we have ever taken.