Emotional support animals

Tom47

I 100% agree. People have gone way overboard with abusing the rules by claiming their dogs are emotional support animals. It hurts those who actually have legitimate emotional support animals or service dogs. Although if I read the article that I saw correctly about the new proposals, they still won’t be required to provide proof of training. People will have to sign a federal form swearing their animal has proper training. I’m sure there will be plenty who will lie and sign the form, but hopefully if their animal attacks someone or damages property, they’ll be held liable and people will realize the consequences.

• Like 1

A few years ago, I guy tried to board a plane at Chicago-O'Hare with his support peacock on his shoulder.  He and the bird were denied boarding.   On our last cruise we saw a lady and her dog frequently at dinner.  That dog was better behaved than some of the passengers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Old news.  Problem is the cruise lines don't have the chutzpah to enforce the rules.

They won't enforce the dress code, why expect them to deal with animals.

Still remember my one and only Princess cruise where a couple wheeled around their pooch in a baby stroller.  Yuck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

They won't enforce the dress code, why expect them to deal with animals.

Still remember my one and only Princess cruise where a couple wheeled around their pooch in a baby stroller.  Yuck.

Yep, I've seen the poochies wheeled around in strollers as well.  In full outfits.  Ridiculous.

• Like 4

I don’t agreed, and I’m not one of those that have an emotional support animal. If I’m taking my dog I’m paying for her cabin pet fee or a seat. (Only when I can’t find someone to stay with her) 

In reality they are many people that really need the Emotional Support Animal specially people that have Psychological Disabilities like Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Anxiety, Panic Disorter, OCD, PTSD and Schizophrenia to name a few. 

These people decided to adopt a pet without a proper training because in reality Insurance doesn’t cover the training for Psychiatric Service Dog and it’s expensive. Also the ADA defines a disabling illness as an illness that physically or psychiatrically must limit one or more major life activities, such as walking, talking, seeing, hearing, learning, etc. If the illnesses do not limit one or more life activities, you do not qualify for a service animal but as you can see by the illness above a Dog can really help and reduce the anxiety for example.  

8 hours ago, luisc25 said:

I don’t agreed, and I’m not one of those that have an emotional support animal. If I’m taking my dog I’m paying for her cabin pet fee or a seat. (Only when I can’t find someone to stay with her) 

In reality they are many people that really need the Emotional Support Animal specially people that have Psychological Disabilities like Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Anxiety, Panic Disorter, OCD, PTSD and Schizophrenia to name a few. 

These people decided to adopt a pet without a proper training because in reality Insurance doesn’t cover the training for Psychiatric Service Dog and it’s expensive. Also the ADA defines a disabling illness as an illness that physically or psychiatrically must limit one or more major life activities, such as walking, talking, seeing, hearing, learning, etc. If the illnesses do not limit one or more life activities, you do not qualify for a service animal but as you can see by the illness above a Dog can really help and reduce the anxiety for example.  

But that is just it, there is no "pet fee" on a cruise or an airline.  That is one reason that folks claim their pet is an ESA, so they don't have to pay the "pet in a carrier" fee.  And, PTSD is a recognized condition that allows for a Service Animal.  So, if you want to extend the protection of Service Animals to ESA's, you need to change the law, not discuss a carrier's policies under that law, even given the fact that not all of the protections of the ADA apply to foreign flag cruise ships (SCOTUS ruling in Spector v NCL).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, luisc25 said:

There’s the rub. She is only necessary when you don’t have someone to stay with her. She may calm you down but she is a pet. Take her where she is allowed and welcome and avoid situations where she is not welcome. My son, and many others, cannot cruise because of anxiety so they do other things. 

It is great if some people benefit from an emotional support animal—some have inanimate objects—but it is a great disservice to those who need a legitimate service animal 24/7 to equate the two.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, denmarks said:

I know that service animals for the blind are trained to use a litter box or mat that is usually in a service area. What do all these emotional animals use?

And none of those service animals will have been sitting on your dining room chair just before you. UGH

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, denmarks said:

I know that service animals for the blind are trained to use a litter box or mat that is usually in a service area. What do all these emotional animals use?

In many cases public spaces.  No doubt in cabins as well.  So considerate of other pax, and crew who have to clean it up.

I was struck by this part "The department's proposal would also allow airlines to limit service animals to two per passenger and require that they check in an hour earlier than other passengers."

What in the world - 2? Shut the front door. Travel is not a right, it's a privilege.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, luisc25 said:

have you ever heard of a dog kennel?  

• Like 1