Emotional support animals

Tom47

12 hours ago, luisc25 said:

I don’t agreed, and I’m not one of those that have an emotional support animal. If I’m taking my dog I’m paying for her cabin pet fee or a seat. (Only when I can’t find someone to stay with her) 

In reality they are many people that really need the Emotional Support Animal specially people that have Psychological Disabilities like Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Anxiety, Panic Disorter, OCD, PTSD and Schizophrenia to name a few.  

What's the pet fee on a cruise?  I've never heard of one.

And two, nowadays, everyone under the age of 30 seems to have anxiety, depression, or some other form of mental illness.  If they don't take control of the "emotional support" issue, they're going to find themselves with an animal in every other room soon.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Aquahound said:

What's the pet fee on a cruise?  I've never heard of one.

And two, nowadays, everyone under the age of 30 seems to have anxiety, depression, or some other form of mental illness.  If they don't take control of the "emotional support" issue, they're going to find themselves with an animal in every other room soon.  

I have no idea; I don’t have an emotional support animal nor do I need one. I was just saying I travel with my dog sometimes  because I might not have no one to take care of it. Always pay for it. 

Edited by luisc25

19 hours ago, denmarks said:

I know that service animals for the blind are trained to use a litter box or mat that is usually in a service area. What do all these emotional animals use?

Pretty much any place they want to, unfortunately.

22 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

There’s the rub. She is only necessary when you don’t have someone to stay with her. She may calm you down but she is a pet. Take her where she is allowed and welcome and avoid situations where she is not welcome. My son, and many others, cannot cruise because of anxiety so they do other things. 

It is great if some people benefit from an emotional support animal—some have inanimate objects—but it is a great disservice to those who need a legitimate service animal 24/7 to equate the two.

If you read the posters post, they said when they take their dog with them, they pay for it, which means it is under the seat in a crate:   If I’m taking my dog I’m paying for her cabin pet fee or a seat. (Only when I can’t find someone to stay with her) 

There are only two places that emotional service dogs are welcomed and that is on planes and in housing.  They are not allowed in public buildings, other public transportation, etc.  This is something those that lie about their dog being an emotional support dog, don't seem to know about the law.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2020 at 7:09 PM, klfrodo said:

I can only hope so.

A TRUE Service Animal, by all means welcome aboard.

Fifi? throw her overboard.

Should you attempt to throw an emotional support animal overboard be prepared to be thrown down after it.  

If a medical professional concludes a need for an emotional support animal and the cruise line permits ESAs it is not the business of the other passengers.  They can either petition the line to ban ESAs or choose a cruise line that does not permit them (e.g. Royal Caribbean.)

Do you remember a while back someone brought a pot belly pig on a flight saying it was an emotional support animal and it pooped  just before takeoff!  It (and it's owner) were removed.  I think some folks bring a cat or dog as an emotional support animal as if that's thier claim, the animal goes for free.  If you bring a small dog or a cat in a carrier, most airlines charge $100. Claim Fido's going for emotional support.....save $100!

10 hours ago, luisc25 said:

I have no idea; I don’t have an emotional support animal nor do I need one. I was just saying I travel with my dog sometimes  because I might not have no one to take care of it. Always pay for it. 

Traveling with your pet and paying the required fee, like at a pet friendly hotel, is totally different than the topic of this thread.  

47 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

If you read the posters post, they said when they take their dog with them, they pay for it, which means it is under the seat in a crate:   If I’m taking my dog I’m paying for her cabin pet fee or a seat. (Only when I can’t find someone to stay with her) 

There are only two places that emotional service dogs are welcomed and that is on planes and in housing.  They are not allowed in public buildings, other public transportation, etc.  This is something those that lie about their dog being an emotional support dog, don't seem to know about the law.

As was pointed out, there is no cabin pet fee and this person is not even claiming the pet to be for emotional support. Just bringing it along—because they can and it is cheaper than a kennel. Not right for a cruise. Fine on an airline if the fee is paid and the animal stays in a crate on the plane but a cruise is a little long for crate life.

34 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Need to travel with a dog? Try cruising this luxury liner

Perhaps one day cruising with a pet might be normal 😋

Seems like the perfect cruising solution if you wish your pet to join you. I remember the days when one could travel on most domestic airlines with their pet (crated) and not pay the high fees now charged for the pet.

My dog is a member of my family and I love her.  I find it offensive when someone jokes about throwing a dog overboard - just as I would find it offensive to joke about throwing a misbehaving child overboard. 

When I travel, I do not take my dog. My dog remains at home with a sitter - it is more humane and, imho safe, as my little pal prefers the comfort & security of her own home.

Yes, people stretch rules and I have been on several flights wherein I suspect that the traveling "emotional support" animals (I have only seen dogs) are actually pets whose owners are evading the associated fee for the pet. It is a shame but one cannot legislate honesty or morality.

BTW ... I have yet to see an emotional support pet on a cruise - perhaps this is because the vast majority of our cruises are european cruises?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

As was pointed out, there is no cabin pet fee and this person is not even claiming the pet to be for emotional support. Just bringing it along—because they can and it is cheaper than a kennel. Not right for a cruise. Fine on an airline if the fee is paid and the animal stays in a crate on the plane but a cruise is a little long for crate life.

Thanks and I never taken my Pet on a Cruise just on Airlines, maybe I should've stated better before taking the heat. I would never take my dog on a Cruise or Restaurants.

Edited by luisc25

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

Should you attempt to throw an emotional support animal overboard be prepared to be thrown down after it.  

If a medical professional concludes a need for an emotional support animal and the cruise line permits ESAs it is not the business of the other passengers.  They can either petition the line to ban ESAs or choose a cruise line that does not permit them (e.g. Royal Caribbean.)

That is bull. Esa are an internet invention not covered by ADA and is an abuse of ADA.  Claiming an ESA is no different than forging a handicapped license plate to get better parking spot.  ESA is a pet and fraud.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, K32682 said:

There are cruise lines that do not permit ESAs or pets.  There are others with more accommodating policies regarding support and companion animals.  Select your line accordingly.  

And what they pet owners are doing is lying by saying their dog is a service animal.  The cruise line can only ask two questions.  One, is it a service dog and two, what task does it perform.  Service dogs need to be licensed like handicap licensed plates, but unfortunately some are against.

What exactly is the definition of a pet/emotional support animal.  Not a service animal, an emotional support animal or creature.

Is it a dog, a cat, a bird, a snake, an iguana, a groundhog, a racoon, a pig???  Who decides what is acceptable?

I am all for people getting assistance for their mental illness.

But there needs to be balance with the sanity requirement of keeping pets out of restaurants and the fact that millions of people are allergic to pet dander.

If you can’t go on a cruise without you fury friend, don’t go on a cruise.  If you can’t control your tourettes syndrome and randomly curse for no reason then  stay away from playgrounds and daycare centers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I was on two recent cruises in Europe where many Europeans were onboard and didn't see one service animal. Are there different rules from other countries?

We mainly cruise with European lines, and have never seen a dog on board any ship. We have met people who have seen a guide dog for the blind on a cruise once, but it does seem a rarity. One line we use insists that the dog is always in a harness outside the cabin, so I don't think there will be dogs in strollers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iancal said:

What exactly is the definition of a pet/emotional support animal.  Not a service animal, an emotional support animal or creature.

Is it a dog, a cat, a bird, a snake, an iguana, a groundhog, a racoon, a pig???  Who decides what is acceptable?

Assuming this is a serious inquiry, here’s what the AKC says.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/news/everything-about-emotional-support-animals/

On 1/23/2020 at 10:53 AM, JennyB1977 said:

I was struck by this part "The department's proposal would also allow airlines to limit service animals to two per passenger and require that they check in an hour earlier than other passengers."

What in the world - 2? Shut the front door. Travel is not a right, it's a privilege.

It's a right if you pay for it.  It's a privilege if you don't.

On 1/23/2020 at 12:46 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Two words would stop the nonsense:  strict liability

Actually, simply allowing all places to charge a fee regardless of what someone calls their animal would stop most of it.  If WDW would charge more for an animal to enter the parks than staying in the kennel, it would reduce the fraud.

12 hours ago, marco said:

Do you remember a while back someone brought a pot belly pig on a flight saying it was an emotional support animal and it pooped  just before takeoff!  It (and it's owner) were removed.  I think some folks bring a cat or dog as an emotional support animal as if that's thier claim, the animal goes for free.  If you bring a small dog or a cat in a carrier, most airlines charge $100. Claim Fido's going for emotional support.....save $100!

Exactly why...Charge $40 for pets, $45 for service animals and $60 for ESAs and guess what everyone will label their animal..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Except the fraudsters do know that you can have an unlimited number of service animals and emotional support animals in your rental unit.  It isn't unusual that some places have families with so many ESAs that the animals attack each other.