Norwegian Fjords Cruise

zumbarho

Friends are going on a Norwegian Fjords 7 day cruise leaving from and returning to Amsterdam. I've been to Amsterdam and also one of the stops in Norway, Bergen and also went through the Fjords many many years ago. Not sure if its worth spending the money just to see Alesund, Geiranger and Olden Norway. Has anyone done this cruise and what are your thoughts. We are taking a Baltic cruise this summer that ends up in Oslo, which we've done before. Thanks.

IMO basically you go on a Norway cruise for the scenery which is magnificent. A lot of the ports are interesting in their own right but some are less so because they are gateways to explore the country via and excursion. Bergen, Stavanger, Alesund, Geiranger, Olden, Honningsvag, Tromso, Trondeim, Molde and Flam are all good plus others.

If you prefer shopping be prepared to pay a fortune but Norway is not about shopping, the Norwegians come to the UK to shop for a reason! Why are prices high in Norway? back in the 70's they invested their oil revenues in rebuilding the countries infrastructure etc. There was high inflation, Norwegians earn high salaries to compensate. They now invest their oil revenues in a fund worth apparently over 1 trillion dollars. It is said that when the oil runs out they might just buy a small warm country to live in!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, drsel said:

What about Honningsvag, Tromso, Trondheim, Molde and Flam

Sent from my Lenovo K8 Note using Tapatalk

We are stopping at all of these ports, plus Alesund, on our cuise in May.

Can anyone give me any information on what to do in these ports?

There is not much, if any, information on them in the ports of call boards.

Thanks

Lois

Edited by electro

We are stopping at all of these ports, plus Alesund, on our cuise in May.
Can anyone give me any information on what to do in these ports?
There is not much, if any, information on them in the ports of call boards.
Thanks
Lois
Try whatsinport.com and toms port guide

We did a wonderful 14 day Norway cruise (round trip Southampton) that included all those ports except Olden.  If you can extend your cruise I would highly recommend it.  There is so much to see and do in Norway. There are 3 threads covering the ports and excursions on that cruise on the Northern Europe Ports of Call boards:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drsel said:

for a Norwegian fjords Cruise, How is the weather like in the second half of May

Might be good- might be poor. Because there's so much day light, the land and sea have warmed from winter, but we've been in May and had brilliant sunshine, heavy rain, and an evening of snow...

22 hours ago, zumbarho said:

Bergen (which we've been to) Alesund, Geiranger and Olden.

Alesund is lovely, check out pictures online. Geiranger is a deep fjord, well worth seeing, take a bus trip up into the mountain to look down onto the fjord.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

Alesund is lovely, check out pictures online. Geiranger is a deep fjord, well worth seeing, take a bus trip up into the mountain to look down onto the fjord.

Is this a public transpo bus or a charter thing? Sounds great.

35 minutes ago, clo said:

Is this a public transpo bus or a charter thing? Sounds great.

We went up Mt. Dalsnibba (the 4700 feet above sea level mountain outside Geiranger) via a private excursion as did my DB and SIL.

We took the Panoramic Exclusive Bus excursion with www.geiranger.no/panorama-exclusive-bus -  (495 NOK p/p; 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm).  My DB and DSIL rented e-bikes (he is an amazing cyclist and my DSIL is no slouch either) and rode up to the top of Mt. Dalsnibba and back down to the port (I don't know how much that cost). 

The Geiranger Fjord has some of the most spectacular scenery we've ever seen especially during the snow melt when the waterfalls are powerful and ubiquitous.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, drsel said:

What was the cost of the ship excursion

39 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

I don't remember, but it was the usual average cost for short bus tours from ships in a high price country. I would have remembered if it had been out of line. 

Checking the Princess excursion list for this summer their Mt. Dalsnibba & the Eagle Road most closely resembles the private excursion we took but we were in a 15 person van whereas Princess uses a 40 person tour bus.  Princess charges $109.95 per person; our vendor charged about $55 per person! 

• 4 weeks later...

My sister and I did a HA cruise from Amsterdam up to Honningsvag Norway and back to Amsterdam.  Loved every port we stopped at.  In Honningvag, we rented a car and drove to the small fishing villages in the area.  Loved it!  We did some excursions and some walking around on our own in a couple towns.  The scenery is spectacular - we took the train from Flam, took a bus tour to Mt. Dalsnibba and a boat ride to the base of Pulpit Rock.  We walked a large portion of Bergen and Alesund.  I would really like to do that cruise again, there was so much to see.

Edited by LilaC123
replaced a word
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Checking the Princess excursion list for this summer their Mt. Dalsnibba & the Eagle Road most closely resembles the private excursion we took but we were in a 15 person van whereas Princess uses a 40 person tour bus.  Princess charges $109.95 per person; our vendor charged about $55 per person! 

Who was your vendor?
Can you get a mini van or taxi on the spot and share it with other passengers for an excursion

1 minute ago, drsel said:

Who was your vendor?
Can you get a mini van or taxi on the spot and share it with other passengers for an excursion

Vendor?  We took the Panoramic Exclusive Bus excursion with www.geiranger.no/panorama-exclusive-bus -  (495 NOK p/p; 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm)

Sharing a van or taxi without reservations?  I didn't notice any.