14 day South America Passage - Westerdam

We did an Antartic cruise on Celebrity Eclipse January 2019. It is a very good cruise and we were blessed with good weather for the important parts at least. Iguazu Falls are also amazing. Unfortunately we did not do the Chilean Fiords as the cruise you are considering doing may do but you may want to check whether it does really go to Antartica.

This one? https://cruiseweb.com/cruise-lines/holland-america-line/ship-westerdam/14-day-south-america-passage-departs-buenos-aires-argentina That doesn't go to Antarctica - just through the Drake Passage to Ushuaia  I've been to Ushuaia (not on a cruise) - I would only go in February - the other 11 months are winter as the locals say. 

25 minutes ago, Rickster50 said:

Thanks for the replies. Actually lissie is right. This particular cruise does NOT go down to Antarctica. I really want to check out the ice at close quarters so I'll have to book another cruise.

Cheers

Rick

You will see some Ice if going to the Chilean fiords but nothing compared to actually getting into Paradise Bay and the Gerlacht strait

21 hours ago, lissie said:

This one? https://cruiseweb.com/cruise-lines/holland-america-line/ship-westerdam/14-day-south-america-passage-departs-buenos-aires-argentina That doesn't go to Antarctica - just through the Drake Passage to Ushuaia  I've been to Ushuaia (not on a cruise) - I would only go in February - the other 11 months are winter as the locals say. 

I don't think I would choose a cruise to Antartica based on expected temperatures. You are, after all, going for the scenery and wildlife.

We went lateish January and I really feel the cold.While we saw some wildlife, think we did not see as much as seen on a Princess cruise late last year. That could be because of maybe slightly different areas they cruised in or just the luck of the draw, as we all know how unpredictable wildlife sightings can be.

9 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

I don't think I would choose a cruise to Antartica based on expected temperatures. You are, after all, going for the scenery and wildlife.

We went lateish January and I really feel the cold.While we saw some wildlife, think we did not see as much as seen on a Princess cruise late last year. That could be because of maybe slightly different areas they cruised in or just the luck of the draw, as we all know how unpredictable wildlife sightings can be.

January and February are the best months to visit Antarctica due to the ice being less of a risk.

This is the cruise we are thinking of doing this November. I know it doesn't include the "Real Antarctica" but it still looks ok.

Just wondering if it's worth paying more and going further south to have a look at the white wonderland?

Rick

IMG_0705[14783].jpg

Personally, I would want to get there but then that is totally your decision, and what you want to see and do.

Will you see icebergs floating around in the sea, most likely around the Chilean fiords and by Ushuaia. 

Will you see wildlife like Penguins and such, most likely especially at Ushuaia (I recommend Martillo Island excursion) and the Falklands (I recommend Patricks Tour to Volunteer Point) if you pick shore excursions that enable that.

Will you see Cape Horn, Yes weather and visibility dependent.

You can always go back and do Antarctica another time if you still want to go.

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2020 at 11:06 PM, Kiwi_cruiser said:

We did South America last year on the Royal Princess.

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread - @Kiwi_cruiser if you booked via the NZ Princess site, were gratuities added onboard for the SA sailing?

(I haven’t sailed with Princess before, and RCI still includes gratuities in non-Australian cruise fares booked via the Aus site).

thanks heaps!

On 1/26/2020 at 6:41 PM, Rickster50 said:

This is the cruise we are thinking of doing this November. I know it doesn't include the "Real Antarctica" but it still looks ok.

Just wondering if it's worth paying more and going further south to have a look at the white wonderland?

Rick

IMG_0705[14783].jpg

That one goes no where near Antarctica, go for the real thing.

For a SA cruise Princess will add on a daily service charge to your onboard account.

Sometimes during a sale you may have the gratuities included.

At the moment though it is OBC and a free speciality dinner for new bookings.

They seems to rotate around the added extras for their sales.

11 hours ago, sewgood said:

For a SA cruise Princess will add on a daily service charge to your onboard account.

Sometimes during a sale you may have the gratuities included.

At the moment though it is OBC and a free speciality dinner for new bookings.

They seems to rotate around the added extras for their sales.

thank you!