Small but memorable pleasures on board

alc13

This is an odd one, but when we started onto the gangway in Red Hook in June I noticed that I could smell a distinctive smell that said "QM2" to me. I don't know if it's carpet cleaner, air conditioning or what, but it was familiar and not unpleasant.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

...a distinctive smell that said "QM2" to me...

That's how I feel about the bathroom soap!

Funny how many happy memories include views of the water.  I love being in the middle of the Atlantic, with no land in sight.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2020 at 5:15 PM, Host Hattie said:

That moment when you realise you are moving ....

Oh gosh yes! 

That moment you sense the slight change in the vibration of the ship, and look over the side of your balcony and see the distance between the ship and dock getting bigger or you are getting closer to something on the other side or whatever... You are off! On your way...! 

LOVE THAT TOO!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

This is an odd one, but when we started onto the gangway in Red Hook in June I noticed that I could smell a distinctive smell that said "QM2" to me. I don't know if it's carpet cleaner, air conditioning or what, but it was familiar and not unpleasant.

Absolutely, I notice the smell too across all three Cunard ships.  Some unique and wonderful combination of machine oil, varnish, paint, salt air, carpets, air conditioning, etc.  I notice it whenever boarding on embarkation day.  It says, "I'm back!"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Underwatr said:

No, tell everyone that the Commodore Club is the place to be. That way it will be easier for us to get seats for late night jazz in the Chart Room!

Yes, the jazz trio nightly on the QM2 is such a perfect way to end the day.
With as G&T for the Missus and a pint of decent beer for me.
Perfect.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sfred said:

Absolutely, I notice the smell too across all three Cunard ships.  Some unique and wonderful combination of machine oil, varnish, paint, salt air, carpets, air conditioning, etc.  I notice it whenever boarding on embarkation day.  It says, "I'm back!"

I once heard someone say - and I cannot think who or in what context - that that Cunard smell took them back through QE2 to the original queens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I once heard someone say - and I cannot think who or in what context - that that Cunard smell took them back through QE2 to the original queens.

I do sense somewhat the same smell.

I use to remember smelling while boarding the QE2 on the old open gangway the smell of the fuel being transferred from the barge along side the ship in Manhattan. Then the distinctive A/C in the  Midship Lobby with Elene Mackay welcoming you back on board as if it was yesterday..... 

• Like 1

For me:

* Curry in the Golden lion on embarkation day with either a pint of Sierra Nevada (if QM2) or San Miguel (QM / QV - shame there's no Sierra Nevada on tap on those!)

* Drinking a bottle of champagne on the balcony once we get moving (the Pol Acker I either make cocktails with, or bring home - I've got a few bottles of it in my garage...)

* Corned beef hash at breakfast

* Quercus toiletries

< 100 days to my next trip now!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ynox said:

For me:

* Corned beef hash at breakfast

< 100 days to my next trip now!

Ynox,

Great idea Corned Beef Hash for breakfast. Never thought of it. May have seen it but never thought of it.

Always have Eggs Benedict for the first morning breakfast.

But must give thought on our upcoming sailing.

Thank you....

When I think back to my first westbound transatlantic sailing on QM2 back in November of 2012 , I can remember a feeling of true astonishment at literally everything about it.  Everything.  I return for a second sailing on her on July 31, 2020 for a 21 day back to back transatlantic voyage, New York to New York.  Just thinking about it makes me giddy.  From my first sailing, here are a few of the small, memorable pleasures that come to mind:

-the feeling of being subtly rocked to sleep at night

-watching 20 foot swells come and go outside the Deck 2 windows at water level but feeling completely safe

-all of the board games available on Deck 2 with game tables next to the windows

-discovering the outdoor panoramic elevator tucked behind the bridge, I didn't know it existed until I stumbled upon it

-the bridge viewing area, it looked like something from Star Trek to me

-warm scones at 3:30 (yes please!)

-live music of all types throughout the ship, the harpist was something I was pleasantly surprised by

-room service breakfast

-menus with no prices on them

-fancy desserts at dinner every night, presented like artwork

-interesting carvings of fruits and vegetables

-ping pong by the pool on Deck 12 (my two teenage boys loved this)

-the library

-the very top deck of the ship, as high as you are allowed to go, what a view while out at sea!

• Like 3

On 1/24/2020 at 6:38 PM, Lanky Lad said:

Fish and Chips in the Golden Lion on embarkation day. 

It is interesting Lanky Lad... my husband and I read over many comments and posts on Cruise Critic and other sites before our first Cunard Voyage this past August... and one thing we remembered reading was your enjoyment of the cloudy lemonade on board... so my husband tried it and also thoroughly enjoyed the cloudy lemonade.

So

What did he say when we booked our second??? He said he could not wait for the cloudy lemonade!!!

Ha!

For me some favorite small pleasures would be sipping a “Mary Rose” from the Gin & Fizz lounge... walking on the beautiful promenade deck... and feeling the ship’s movement when we sleep (we choose forward because we love the movement)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While it's not actually aboard the Queen, but getting the first glimpse of QM2 as we neared the cruise terminal in Brooklyn. Looking at her looming over the buildings as we approached was breathtaking the first time I traveled east bound on her.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

It is interesting Lanky Lad... my husband and I read over many comments and posts on Cruise Critic and other sites before our first Cunard Voyage this past August... and one thing we remembered reading was your enjoyment of the cloudy lemonade on board... so my husband tried it and also thoroughly enjoyed the cloudy lemonade.

So

What did he say when we booked our second??? He said he could not wait for the cloudy lemonade!!!

Ha!

For me some favorite small pleasures would be sipping a “Mary Rose” from the Gin & Fizz lounge... walking on the beautiful promenade deck... and feeling the ship’s movement when we sleep (we choose forward because we love the movement)

How could I forget the lemonade and also the ice cream

• Like 1

Sorry to change the subject a bit but.......

My Small but always memorable pleasure is living by the New York Harbor - The Narrows and seeing the QM2

arriving and departing especially by the VZ Bridge out of our front windows.

Especially seeing her during the different times of the year. Majestic during the Summer and Brilliant & Glistering during the Winters Morning & Evening in the Dark....

How Lucky we can see her each time she visits our wonderful city... 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry to change the subject a bit but.......

My Small but always memorable pleasure is living by the New York Harbor - The Narrows and seeing the QM2

arriving and departing especially by the VZ Bridge out of our front windows.

Especially seeing her during the different times of the year. Majestic during the Summer and Brilliant & Glistering during the Winters Morning & Evening in the Dark....

How Lucky we can see her each time she visits our wonderful city... 

I have the same pleasure in Ventnor, seeing the ship sail by in the evening.  Indeed seeing it and wondering what it was is how I found out about the crossings in the first place.