Low ratings on Costa Luminosa

DerryPete

I hear ya, but they are owned by Carnival Corp, who also owns Holland America Line, and of course Carnival Cruise Line, both of which i have cruise on various times, and would never give a 1 star review....

Does Cruise Critic have the ear/s of the Carnival Corp.?

But Carnival and Holland America are completely opposite when it comes to entertainment and activities.
Carnival is the ultimate party Cruise, while Holland America is quiet, sedate and dignified; with hardly any activities or things to do

Sent from my Lenovo K8 Note using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I just finished reading some of the latest reviews and wanted to tell you that I experienced none of the bad things that the reviewers mentioned.  My review was posted in May of 2016.  Anyway, the staff all spoke English perfectly.  The entertainers sang in English almost exclusively even though their spoken English was not perfect. Rooms were clean and turn down was twice a day.  Our waiters knew our preferences by the second day and even had our morning Bloody Mary's ready for us when we came in for breakfast. I spent many hours in the spa and it was wonderful.  The small entertainment venues were our favorite way to finish up the evening. One evening after their show, I mentioned to one of the singers the name of a song that I thought she would sing well and she learned it the next day and performed it for us that night!  The servers there knew our nightly drink order.  We are planning another trip with Costa in the fall.  

• Like 1

I was on Luminosa this Dec.  My family had a great time.  Not that there weren't things to complain about - I didn't love the dining room, so after 2 days, we just ate in the lido buffet exclusively.  Thought it was better and faster.  I have a 4 year old, so that was part of it.  

Anyways, keep in mind CC is an English website and Costa's English first passengers are a minority.  There are some differences I could see Americans not liking.  Same with MSC's reviews - they not as good traditionally, but I've been on both lines and thought they were more than fine.  

• Like 1

I think the bad reviews on Costa are related to expectations English speaking cruisers have that are really unrealistic on a mass market Italian cruise company.  The complaints of the Italian language announcements, lack of free pizza, hamburgers and ice cream, lack of toiletries in the bathroom, and charging of drinking water seem to be the top complaints.   I personally think Costa is great value for money.

• Like 2

Yes, the lack of free water, mandatory gratuities, poor quality and variety of food are the main complaints.

Also very limited times for breakfast, lunch and dinner in the buffet and main dining room, around 90 minutes for each.

No free tea and coffee available except during the 90 minutes of breakfast and 1 hour evening tea.

When you come back from an excursion, there is no decent food on the entire ship late afternoon and evening (except for pastries with evening tea)

You have to wait until 7 or 7:30 p.m. for the buffet to re-open

27 minutes ago, drsel said:

Yes, the lack of free water, mandatory gratuities, poor quality and variety of food are the main complaints.

Also very limited times for breakfast, lunch and dinner in the buffet and main dining room, around 90 minutes for each.

No free tea and coffee available except during the 90 minutes of breakfast and 1 hour evening tea.

When you come back from an excursion, there is no decent food on the entire ship late afternoon and evening (except for pastries with evening tea)

You have to wait until 7 or 7:30 p.m. for the buffet to re-open

7 pm seems late from my memory for the buffet to open.  I do remember us getting back from a shore excursion, having some drinks and then getting a plate of cheese to go with it in the late afternoon - before dinner.  

But yeah, our first Costa cruise we had a hard time finding food open on our first day as we boarded at an odd time.

• Like 1

Well after 21 years cruising with Costa, I must have been booked on a different line by mistake.

Buffet opens at 5.30/6.00 diner starts at 6.30 next sitting 9. 15. All crew spoke perfectly good English, tea was available 20 hours a day in the cabin.

Main moan has always been Costa's ships are full of Italians (no ****)  13 bottles of water cost less than 40 euros you save four times that of the cruise price anone even if you don't pay for a premium cabin & get a drinks package thrown in.

You don't like Costa Don't book them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, DerryPete said:

For any one that was on the Luminosa recently; can you buy regular bottle water on the ship or just mineral water ( which I really hate and is all they show in their packages)?

It is all mineral water that comes with and without gas (the bubbles) so you order what you want.

TIP: If you can only get "with gas" water, there is a quick remedy. Take one of DW stockings and run the water through it, the stocking will filter out the bubbles.🍻

• Like 1

Still water is available by the bottle 2.80 euros (one litre) or by the glass if you have a drinks package, 

You will find a bottle in your cabin (still) which will be replaced should you use it.

Bottled water is available for purchase in all bars & Restaurant's.

The water package is 13 bottles you can purchase this before you go, in "mycosta" or once you board.

Americans cruisers get free water in MDR in the Caribbean.

Edited by tenpin
  • Like 1

TIP: If you can only get "with gas" water, there is a quick remedy. Take one of DW stockings and run the water through it, the stocking will filter out the bubbles.[emoji482]

Haha, That's hilarious

Sent from my Lenovo K8 Note using Tapatalk

I don't mind Costa and would argue that you do get what you pay for!!  I have never been on Costa and expected to get the same level of service you get with Cunard.

With regard to gratuities, it really is only an add on when you book via the UK.  I've said it before, I book via Germany and the gratuities are included.  Added to this, the price is often cheaper and the final payment due date is closer to the sail date.

Folks, thanks for the good feedback...

It would seem that if Costa would make Tea Bags and water available 24X7, like the other Carnival ships, Costa's reviews would go up a few points. I think the few cents it would cost per tea bag, would be a very good return on investment..... 

Are you listening Costa/Carnival!!!!

• Like 1

Just looked back at our past cruises one on Costa Victoria in 2001 our suite cost us £1389 each for 7 day (Caribbean) not including flights.

Today suites are roughly £1669 each but includes a Intenditore drinks package costing 49 euros a day 

My total drinks bill for wine, coffees and all other drinks & a specialty meal in Club Restaurant  was 489.78 dollars I reckon that if you purchase extra water bottles of wine you it would still be better value today on Costa that other lines.

Stop moaning about purchasing a few bottle of water & extra's if you are not happy don't cruise with them Simple's 

Well, it is too late for me NOT to go, as I have paid for an up & coming cruise on the Luminosa. I have a total of 17 cruises, which include Several Carnival ships, plus several RCCL ships, one Celebrity and one HAL ship, so I assumed the Costa would have decent reviews... Oh well; I will post a fair review when I return..

17 minutes ago, DerryPete said:

Well, it is too late for me NOT to go, as I have paid for an up & coming cruise on the Luminosa. I have a total of 17 cruises, which include Several Carnival ships, plus several RCCL ships, one Celebrity and one HAL ship, so I assumed the Costa would have decent reviews... Oh well; I will post a fair review when I return..