Silver Galapagos Upgrade?

ejsnyc

Hi.  We (me, husband and 11 y/o son) are sailing on Silver Galapagos in March and received an offer today to upgrade from Veranda Suite 5th deck to Silver Suite 6th deck for $2,500 extra total.  Does anyone have any insight on whether this is a good deal and we should take it - especially with three to a cabin.  Thanks.

P.S.  Apologies for posting this in multiple threads but need t make a decision today. 

OK I see you are a little desperate..

When you go to a hotel and at the counter they ask you if you would like to upgrade to a larger or nicer room. You will have to let them know yes or no. Same thing here but you have a little time to go back to the Silversea website and see if its worth it for you. Only you can spend your money... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carefreecruise said:

OK I see you are a little desperate..

When you go to a hotel and at the counter they ask you if you would like to upgrade to a larger or nicer room. You will have to let them know yes or no. Same thing here but you have a little time to go back to the Silversea website and see if its worth it for you. Only you can spend your money... 

Thanks for your thoughts, carefreecruise.  The website info is limited so was hoping someone with first hand knowledge of the ship could chime in.  

I answered on the other thread.  

Three to a suite is a tipper.  The suites on Galapagos are small. 

(Caveat I've only sailed on the larger suites and would never again do three to a suite in anything smaller than Muse)

9 minutes ago, MrsWaldo said:

I answered on the other thread.  

Three to a suite is a tipper.  The suites on Galapagos are small. 

(Caveat I've only sailed on the larger suites and would never again do three to a suite in anything smaller than Muse)

That's correct. We have been in the silver suite on the top deck and the room was small. The little couch for a third person would be like camping in a tent. 

4 minutes ago, carefreecruise said:

That's correct. We have been in the silver suite on the top deck and the room was small. The little couch for a third person would be like camping in a tent. 

Luckily, my 11 y/o son likes camping - sounds like the extra 10 ftsq would be worth it alone.  

If that's just for a 7 day cruise I don't think I'd do it. We've been in a Verandah suite on SG and we didn't actually spend much time in our suite. We were out and about for most of the time. And when we weren't out and about we were eating or drinking!! We used to have a pre-dinner drink on our balcony and that was about it!! We certainly didn't sit in the cabin.....all we did there was sleep!!

Just my view....but I've never been in a Silver suite! Just can't think it would be so good that I'd want to spend a lot of time in it when I could be out and about.

8 hours ago, Mocamps said:

If that's just for a 7 day cruise I don't think I'd do it. We've been in a Verandah suite on SG and we didn't actually spend much time in our suite. We were out and about for most of the time. And when we weren't out and about we were eating or drinking!! We used to have a pre-dinner drink on our balcony and that was about it!! We certainly didn't sit in the cabin.....all we did there was sleep!!

Just my view....but I've never been in a Silver suite! Just can't think it would be so good that I'd want to spend a lot of time in it when I could be out and about.

I wouldn’t bother with 2 people either 

Three is a big issue just moving around getting ready etc when they fold the bed down at night there is little moving room and 3 of you need to get ready for the days activities 

7 minutes ago, RachelG said:

We have been 3 to a suite many times when our sons were younger.  It can be a little crowded, but most days we only sleep in the suite.  So I personally would save then money for another trip.

In a suite the same size at Galapagos and with an itinerary where you will be swimming and getting changed possibly more than 2x a day?

A standard port intensive cruise where you are busy all day and on one of the larger ships, yes.

On 1/26/2020 at 1:43 PM, MrsWaldo said:

In a suite the same size at Galapagos and with an itinerary where you will be swimming and getting changed possibly more than 2x a day?

A standard port intensive cruise where you are busy all day and on one of the larger ships, yes.

Yes, actually, with our 17 year old 6’ 5” son in a smaller cabin in the Galapagos.

5 hours ago, RachelG said:

Yes, actually, with our 17 year old 6’ 5” son in a smaller cabin in the Galapagos.

Wow, 

Could never do that.  It was bad enough on Shadow with 3 in the room.  But we did have 2 gals 🤣😜

Hi  ejsnyc, Good decision to stay with the veranda on the 5th deck and save the 2500 for another trip. We did a Baltra to San Cristobal in Sept 2019. We were in cabin 345 and down the corridor were two grandparents and their 12 year old grandson. They had no problems with the cabin and 3 excited voyagers. A very shore excursion busy adventure with snorkelling and kayaking added on many days. Enjoy this trip of a lifetime.  

My husband and I were on the Silver Galapagos three years ago. We booked late and had the cheapest cabin. It was big enough and the cruise is so busy we hardly spent any time in it, except to change.

We did two excursions every day, and apart from that spent most of the time on deck. 
I agree I would save the money and spend it on another trip.

It is a truly amazing destination, enjoy!