Forward facing cabin for transatlantic - would you?

SailLaVie

I was wondering if you’ve sailed a forward facing cabin on a transatlantic cruise, how the motion was for you?  I’ve read some say they’d never sail a forward cabin on transatlantic cruise, would you?  Any information is greatly appreciated. 

4 hours ago, samanthanoel said:

I can't help you now, but this is the type of cabin I will have on our upcoming TA on the Escape in April. Hoping since it is southern route (NYC to Rome) that the motion will not be as bad as a northern route. 

Hopefully you have calm waters 🤞

6 hours ago, SailLaVie said:

I was wondering if you’ve sailed a forward facing cabin on a transatlantic cruise, how the motion was for you?  I’ve read some say they’d never sail a forward cabin on transatlantic cruise, would you?  Any information is greatly appreciated. 

It depends if sea conditions bother you. The room with have the most motion and in heavy seas, a lot of noise from crashing waves. 

if you are on a small ship, the balcony will have limited use in bad weather and cold conditions. 

• Like 1

You (the OP) did not indicate what ship (cruise itinerary) and time of the year for the cruise ?

The Forward end of the ship is subject to more motion than that of the center mid-ship lower deck.

Visualize a teeter-totter - the ends having the most motion -

The Aft portion would have motion also but not the wind factor sailing into it.

On ships with the forward balcony there is limited use of it at night - sterile light conditions for the bridge overhead.

14 hours ago, SailLaVie said:

We had a forwardfacing penthouse on the Breakaway. It was not a transatlantic cruise but it was from New York in February and the waves were very high. We defenitely felt the movement the first morning but it was not a problem for us and I should defenitely book that cabin again for a transatlantic cruise.

• Like 1

My favorite type of cabin by far all it's personal preference I believe. Don't worry about the night time issue 

one time I violated the blackout rules by accident and  they just call your cabin and say the blinds are not fully closed 

and you make it so . To my taste it's reminiscent of a bridge tour as you help guide the ship into port .

I wouldn't take a cabin with a forward-facing balcony, because the winds probably would preclude me from using the balcony for most of the trip.

If it was a cabin like the Breakaway's forward-facing Haven Penthouse—where the window is forward-facing, and the balcony is on the side—then sure!

• Like 1

We would and we have!  Did a recent TA from Copenhagen to New Orleans.  We love seeing where we are going. We were able to use our balcony most days without problems.  And boat motion does not affect us.

Edited by mertziek
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 8:03 PM, BirdTravels said:

It depends if sea conditions bother you. The room with have the most motion and in heavy seas, a lot of noise from crashing waves. 

if you are on a small ship, the balcony will have limited use in bad weather and cold conditions. 

Only once on the Breakaway during a bomb cyclone storm. Felt like a roller coaster for 3 days. No balcony, just ocean view. 

20 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

You (the OP) did not indicate what ship (cruise itinerary) and time of the year for the cruise ?

The Forward end of the ship is subject to more motion than that of the center mid-ship lower deck.

Visualize a teeter-totter - the ends having the most motion -

The Aft portion would have motion also but not the wind factor sailing into it.

On ships with the forward balcony there is limited use of it at night - sterile light conditions for the bridge overhead.

It would be Escape in Fall from Southampton to Port Canaveral. I like to try different types of cabins and have tried aft balcony and enjoyed it a lot. It would be ocean view, I wouldn’t use a balcony enough to justify extra cost. Just wondering under fairly calm waters if forward facing is going to be bad?  I realize under bad conditions it’ll be rocky. I think it’ll be fun to watch ahead. 

16 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

We had a forwardfacing penthouse on the Breakaway. It was not a transatlantic cruise but it was from New York in February and the waves were very high. We defenitely felt the movement the first morning but it was not a problem for us and I should defenitely book that cabin again for a transatlantic cruise.

Thanks for input 😃

15 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

The answer is if... If there are no major storms or poor oceanic conditions and if you are looking a balcony. Most forward balconies on a TA would be useless unless you love wind and sea mist.

No balcony, just a window 😃

10 hours ago, solle1 said:

My favorite type of cabin by far all it's personal preference I believe. Don't worry about the night time issue 

one time I violated the blackout rules by accident and  they just call your cabin and say the blinds are not fully closed 

and you make it so . To my taste it's reminiscent of a bridge tour as you help guide the ship into port .

Im looking forward to trying something different. I wasn’t aware of any restrictions 🤷‍♀️

9 hours ago, mertziek said:

We would and we have!  Did a recent TA from Copenhagen to New Orleans.  We love seeing where we are going. We were able to use our balcony most days without problems.  And boat motion does not affect us.

Im hoping I love it too. I’ve tried a few different types of cabins and want to try forward facing ocean view though, no balcony

Not quite the same but I had a forward facing balcony in the Bahamas in October. 

Barely felt any motion up there but my goodness was it windy. 

I would definitely stay in a forward facing ocean view. Or a balcony anywhere else lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SailLaVie said:

It would be Escape in Fall from Southampton to Port Canaveral. I like to try different types of cabins and have tried aft balcony and enjoyed it a lot. It would be ocean view, I wouldn’t use a balcony enough to justify extra cost. Just wondering under fairly calm waters if forward facing is going to be bad?  I realize under bad conditions it’ll be rocky. I think it’ll be fun to watch ahead. 

I wouldn't plan on there being calm waters.

Late fall is the height of hurricane season and even if a storm or multiple storms is not directly in your path, the effects of the storm(s) on wave height extends out for miles beyond the storm's edge.

11 hours ago, kelship said:

Not quite the same but I had a forward facing balcony in the Bahamas in October. 

Barely felt any motion up there but my goodness was it windy. 

I would definitely stay in a forward facing ocean view. Or a balcony anywhere else lol.

I’ve done mostly balcony cabins, but never forward facing. I’m never out there enough to justify cost, but really interested in the forward facing ocean view cabin 😃

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I wouldn't plan on there being calm waters.

Late fall is the height of hurricane season and even if a storm or multiple storms is not directly in your path, the effects of the storm(s) on wave height extends out for miles beyond the storm's edge.

I am hoping for a little excitement 😉  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I love forward facing staterooms for the captain-like view, buttttttt I wouldn’t get one for a transatlantic due to the motion. You can’t get a bigger amount of motion than high and in the front. 

Guess it’ll be quite the experience 😳😆