Help, My boots are Eating my Socks!

geocruiser

I have boots like the picture below. (sorry for the large picture).  My socks always move down into the boot and end up under the soles of my feet.  I have tried different socks, and no good, they move to the same place.  I were ankle socks.  What can I do to stop that socks from moving?

Nash Bootie

I don't know about your boots but for my tall-ish rain boots, I found 'boot socks' that work - they are a thickish sock that comes up a little above my calf.  Regular thin socks tend to migrate down into the boot.  Hope this helps.

I have the same problem when I wear ankle height socks, so I either don't wear socks inside the boot (I have something like the one you posted in black) OR I wear calf-height or taller socks.

I know it seems odd to wear no socks at all, but the first time it happened I wasn't at home and it was driving me bonkers, so I peeled the socks off and put the boots back on. My feet stayed toasty warm and no more annoying sock issues.

1 hour ago, clo said:

What does this have to do with cruising please?

It has to do with fashion and wearing boots on a cruise that goes to a cold climate.  This whole board has to do with fashion.

I did not state that I have had this happen to me  on our Alaska cruise and I would I would like to not have this happen on our next.  I hope that this make it clearer for you.

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

It has to do with fashion and wearing boots on a cruise that goes to a cold climate.  This whole board has to do with fashion.

I did not state that I have had this happen to me  on our Alaska cruise and I would I would like to not have this happen on our next.  I hope that this make it clearer for you.

I was going to give you one link but there so many.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+keep+socks+up+in+boots&rlz=1CAEXLB_enGR739GR739&oq=how+to+keep+socks+up&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l7.12851j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Also I don't consider this a "fashion" question but rather a practical clothing issue. You'll like get more and better suggestions above.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I was going to give you one link but there so many.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+keep+socks+up+in+boots&rlz=1CAEXLB_enGR739GR739&oq=how+to+keep+socks+up&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l7.12851j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Also I don't consider this a "fashion" question but rather a practical clothing issue. You'll like get more and better suggestions above.

I sorry that you don't like my choice of words,  fashion or practical clothing, what ever .  No big deal for me, .

Thanks for the link.

Edited by geocruiser

Don't worry about occasional crankies. This IS a fashion & beauty board and MOST of us are thrilled to discuss those topics - even when they might not directly relate to cruising ;-) If i don't like a question - or have an answer - I just move on.

For shearling lined boots, in general I find they're designed to be worn barefoot  (weren't they designed for apres-surfing?) so socks slip because the lining is slippery (and oh so comfy - I have some old shearling lined boot style slippers) Taller & more form fitting socks (like ski socks that have various types of compression?) might stay up better. We got some cute new ones before a ski trip Jan before last from Sierra Trading Post - great patterns! And for me, they weren't TOO hot (I get hot skiing ;-) Similar to this (merino blend is lovely!!) https://www.sierra.com/bridgedale-vertige-lightweight-ski-socks-merino-wool-blend-over-the-calf-for-women~p~727mr/?filterString=s~ski-sock%2F

• Like 5

On 1/24/2020 at 4:00 PM, Hoyaheel said:

Don't worry about occasional crankies. This IS a fashion & beauty board and MOST of us are thrilled to discuss those topics - even when they might not directly relate to cruising 😉 If i don't like a question - or have an answer - I just move on.

For shearling lined boots, in general I find they're designed to be worn barefoot  (weren't they designed for apres-surfing?) so socks slip because the lining is slippery (and oh so comfy - I have some old shearling lined boot style slippers) Taller & more form fitting socks (like ski socks that have various types of compression?) might stay up better. We got some cute new ones before a ski trip Jan before last from Sierra Trading Post - great patterns! And for me, they weren't TOO hot (I get hot skiing 😉 Similar to this (merino blend is lovely!!) https://www.sierra.com/bridgedale-vertige-lightweight-ski-socks-merino-wool-blend-over-the-calf-for-women~p~727mr/?filterString=s~ski-sock%2F

Thank you very much.  The socks look good.  I am going to look for them at the local sporting goods store.

• 2 weeks later...

Those Bridgedale ski socks-- are they a true shaped toe, that is, seamless? So many socks these days advertise seamless when they are actually not. They look like GREAT boot socks!
The only socks my (non-fuzzy) boots eat is my 20-yr-old cotton running quarter-socks, which invite being snacked on as they have lost all their stretch. Every other sock decides to bunch up at the toes, go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I would really like to recommend Bombas socks as well as those from Duluth Trading.  They are like some of the best socks I have ever purchased....to include their footies!  I have size 11 feet and have never have I had success with most socks staying up and both are serving me well.  I just bought a compression sock from Duluth in Merino wool because my office is cold and they help with keeping me warm and all I can say is they are fantastic.  Hope you are able to find something because this is a most annoying issue!

I have Merrell hiking boots and they eat regular white athletic socks.  Bought People Smart socks from Amazon that are mostly merino wool and no more eating!  Breaking in boots for Alaskan cruise in August.  Then I'll take them to Yellowstone in September.  Not looking forward to wearing them on the plane but I think they will be too heavy to pack.  I like the ankle support they provide.

Yep, UGGs were originally throw on barefoot-apres surf boots, and that's the most comfy way to wear them, but no place where you need to slip them off (but then again I'm Canadian, and we take our shoes off at the door 👡.)

I've bought SmartWool snowboarder socks and they have dedicated compression in different parts of the knee high sock, always stay up (I've had them for a few years and in fact have darned them using a ball of merino) and are soooo comfy.  You can also wear them for a week and they don't smell.  I have a job where I have to walk several km in a night (security policing patrol) outdoors in all weather and these are my go-to.  They are also tall enough for me - I have a 35" inseam. Lots of fancy colours or plain, as you like.

PhD® Snow Medium Women’s Sock - SMARTWOOL - _19-01452

• Like 2