Hilton Waikoloa Village

Ms Jo UK

7 hours ago, Ms Jo UK said:

Looking at maybe buying a day pass and wondering how and the cost of getting from Kona port to the Hilton?

As others have said-- its about a 45 minute ride each way if you don't run into backups (and there are backups to be run into on that road). It's also not the most scenic drive in Hawaii-- a lot of flat lava fields that look like a moonscape until you get to the resort area. 

You are going to want to rent a car to do this-- Uber or taxi are going to be very expensive. Frankly not sure if I would personally spend 2 hours in the car for this if my time were limited to a day port visit. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 5:43 PM, princeton123211 said:

As others have said-- its about a 45 minute ride each way if you don't run into backups (and there are backups to be run into on that road). It's also not the most scenic drive in Hawaii-- a lot of flat lava fields that look like a moonscape until you get to the resort area. 

You are going to want to rent a car to do this-- Uber or taxi are going to be very expensive. Frankly not sure if I would personally spend 2 hours in the car for this if my time were limited to a day port visit. 

Do you know of an alternative that would be better?

Since construction finished on the the highway the backups have pretty much been eliminated.  About the worst that can happen now is getting stuck behind a slow truck. We live near the Sheraton in Keauhou.  It's much smaller than the Hilton but it does have two nice pools.  It's about 8 miles (20 minutes) to get there from the pier.  An easy Uber/Lyft ride.  I don't know if they sell day passes but we've gone and had lunch and used the pools and never been asked to leave.

If you are looking for a beach the Hilton Waikoloa is not a good choice.  The Marriott Waikoloa is a much better.  The beach is public, as are all of the beaches in Hawaii, and the restaurant Lava Lava is next door.  I do love the Sheraton Keahou.  It has great pools, restaurants, and the manta rays come visit in the evenings.  Cherie 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with cccole, while I really like to spend a vacation there again, been there 3 times, I am not thinking about visiting there when we go through on the Solstice next September.  Not sure what to recomend, but suggest you keep looking for something closer to Kona.

Lovely beaches on the Kona Coast - |The scenery is pretty flat as you are driving up toe the beaches.  Lava everywhere but interesting.  We like A Beach and Hapuna.  We rented a car from Enterprise.  They picked us up at the port and drove us back to the port.   Was a lovely day.   I think the car cost us $45 dollars.     

• 4 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 2:43 PM, princeton123211 said:

While I absolutely adore Waikoloa village, I second this. Just not enough time to enjoy it. Plus most of those hotels will charge you through the nose for parking. The small public beach parking is often full.

What about heading south a little ways? The scenery is more interesting for an afternoon outing. Are you into coffee? That's where all the Kona Coffee growers and tasting rooms are. 🙂