Waiting list for First Seating in Dining Rooms

CalgaryMac

We are going on a Panama Cruise on the Wonder in November 2020.  When I booked last week we were assigned to the Second Seating. I tried to change this to First Seating but was not able to and when I called the customer service agents I was told that the First Seating was full and that they would place me on a wait list. Wee have been on two prior Disney cruises and this was never an issue so I was surprised. We wanted this First Seating as the time is closer to my routine eating time and as I am diabetic I try to keep as close as possible to my usual eating schedule. While I know there are other fine options on the ship and we have the late dining time I am wondering whether this happens often? Also, what has been peoples' experience with the wait list?

We are looking forward to the cruise and we'll eat when we are told but am surprised that 9 months before the cruise one sitting is full. It is a Christmas cruise so maybe it is different than cruises at other times of the year.

1 hour ago, CalgaryMac said:

We are going on a Panama Cruise on the Wonder in November 2020.  When I booked last week we were assigned to the Second Seating. I tried to change this to First Seating but was not able to and when I called the customer service agents I was told that the First Seating was full and that they would place me on a wait list. Wee have been on two prior Disney cruises and this was never an issue so I was surprised. We wanted this First Seating as the time is closer to my routine eating time and as I am diabetic I try to keep as close as possible to my usual eating schedule. While I know there are other fine options on the ship and we have the late dining time I am wondering whether this happens often? Also, what has been peoples' experience with the wait list?

We are looking forward to the cruise and we'll eat when we are told but am surprised that 9 months before the cruise one sitting is full. It is a Christmas cruise so maybe it is different than cruises at other times of the year.

We've been on the wait list for early dining on at least 8 of our 12 cruises.  Only one didn't come through.  We were moved to early seating anywhere from 3 months out to 2 days before the cruise.

When you called and got put on the wait list did you mention that you were diabetic so that dining time is important?

Yes, Christmas cruises can book up quite fast.  And will have lots of kids on them, so many people want the early dining with kids.

well in case you don't get early, there is food near the pool area on the side and lots of people do grab a snack there.

Burgers and stuff but I have seen wraps and salads.

Now you can always take a few things back to the room from lunch and put in your cabin refrigerator if you have one.

at least take some fruit.  Also eat a later lunch if you can say around 2pm.  

I hate late dining anyways myself.

On 1/24/2020 at 10:05 AM, Shmoo here said:

We've been on the wait list for early dining on at least 8 of our 12 cruises.  Only one didn't come through.  We were moved to early seating anywhere from 3 months out to 2 days before the cruise.

When you called and got put on the wait list did you mention that you were diabetic so that dining time is important?

Yes, Christmas cruises can book up quite fast.  And will have lots of kids on them, so many people want the early dining with kids.

So there is hope. I did me3ntion that I was diabetic and at the time that I called the agent suggested that might add some importance to changing to the early seating.

We booked on the day our sailing date opened to the general public, over a year out for a Thanksgiving cruise on the Fantasy, and 1st seating was already full so we were placed on a wait list.

I checked periodically every few weeks and was never able to change it. Once onboard the ship, we went to the MDR to once again try to change it. No luck then either. So needless to to say we did the 2nd seating. With small children it wasn’t the most ideal, but we powered through it. 

We did meet another family onboard who were successful changing their dining time to 1st once they got on the ship. They must’ve been ahead of us on the list. 

Edited by Tapi

• 1 month later...