Just booked Apex (1st celebrity cruise) - why so much hate for edge class?

Docbizarro

I’m a loyal royal but just booked a apex cruise for 2021 because of a really good price and wanted to see what royal’s “premium” line was like since the price I got was comparable with Royal’s 

i figured Apex being a brand new ship was a slam dunk. Since I booked I’ve come across this forum and have noticed a trend of people being negative about the edge class but I haven’t seen concrete reasons why.

I’ve sailed on Allure (Oasis), Grandeur (Vision) and Independence (Freedom) and have enjoyed all three with Royal. I enjoy the old smaller ships and the new modern ones.

is the problem that it’s more modern and steering away from traditional cruising?

• Like 1

I think you nailed it largely - it is NOT the traditional cruise experience (though honestly the argument could be made that nothing about modern day cruising on the mainstream lines resembles true "traditional" cruising a la the days of the Titanic) people are used to. I also know that people are far more likely to complain and post threads to that nature than people are to post positive experiences.

Many do not like the Infinite Verandas - though many of those critique them have never actually been in them (even ones who have cruised on Edge).

There have been some who have complained that there are no quiet spots on the ship, but others have seemingly had no issues finding them.

I have my first Celebrity cruise on Edge in just over 3 weeks and am going in with an open mind. I usually cruise Disney (even though I'm a solo adult), but at the advice of my TA and the owner of the agency she works for, I'm giving it a try. It's been hard at times to not cancel (back before I was within the penalty timeframe), but I clung to the more balanced and positive reviews like those of the late, great vtcruising and decided that regardless, I'm going to be out of NYC for a week in February and I'm going to make the most of it. If I find out it's not for me, well so be it. (I'll then have to decide if what I didn't like was Edge - in which case I'll likely keep my July 2021 Reflection booking - or if what I didn't like was Celebrity - in which case I'll be eating the NRD on that July 2021 Reflection cruise and looking at other options to celebrate my 50th birthday.)

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 2

I am interested in the answer to this as well.  We have been all sizes of ships and have loved them all.  We love Oasis class and have been on smaller ships as well that we have loved.   Loved our first Celebrity cruise on the Equinox so much that we have another booked for next year.  Was looking to try Edge/Apex but am hesitant with the negative reviews.

I am just back and have just started a review on it -

- I loved it and loved the IV balcony as well.  Yes it was a very different ship but I would now choose it over any of the other ships I have sailed.  Royal - Vision, Rhapsody. Celebrity- Infinity, Carnival - Legend and Valour, Costa- Favalosa (very cheep but never again food was awful) and Marella- Explorer

Edited by fragilek
add in
  • Like 1

Many negative reports came from people who have not yet sailed on Edge...basing their comments on what they have read on Cruise Critic.  We did Edge the first week of December and LOVED it.  Granted, we did a traditional balcony (aka Sunset Verandah).  Up until the last few reviews before we sailed, I was also skeptical...but positive reviews started pouring in and I was good to go.  

It is a beautiful ship...enjoy!

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, fragilek said:

I am just back and have just started a review on it -

- I loved it and loved the IV balcony as well.  Yes it was a very different ship but I would now choose it over any of the other ships I have sailed.  Royal - Vision, Rhapsody. Celebrity- Infinity, Carnival - Legend and Valour, Costa- Favalosa (very cheep but never again food was awful) and Marella- Explorer

sorry put wrong link in 

• Like 1

Not sure why there is so much emotion about it all. I realize we all have opinons and differing tastes, but boy the Edge seems to have drawn out a lot of strong comments. I’ve been on the Edge twice and loved it, and I’ve booked the Apex for the upcoming Transatlantic. I found the Edge to be very fascinating and obviously enjoyed it enough to book it for an itinerary that is very ‘ship based’. A very subjective opinion as is any ‘opinon’ on such subjects. Four different main dining experiences; modern layout; great outside movie setup; fantastic bars......

I understand that some dislike the Infinite balcony setup, but there are standard balconies on the Edge class - but probably too limited in numbers for those that dislike the new balcony. I understand some dislike the more modern decor, but so are most new ships.  What I don’t understand is the complaint about no quiet places, I found them much more available than on many other ships, including the S-Class. I’m not big on the Edge’s large number of ‘upscale’ shops, but I don’t cruise to shop, so........

Give it a go and see if you enjoy the Edge-Class. One thing I’ve learned (and I assume most other understand) is, taste and opinion are very subjective. I think complaints are important to share, but I always evaluate if the complaint is about something I care about, and I also evaluate how strident the complaint is......and if the complainer has any real exerience with what they are complaining about.

It works best if posts are based on actual expereince, and those that don’t have direct knowledge or exereince but feel they want to add their view, they should state they don’t have direct knowledge so we can properly measure their ‘opinion’. Note that I’m not saying they shouldn’t post, just let us know you are posting an opinion based on supposition. I’ve jumped in on a thread subject that I had no direct expereince on and it usually doesn’t work out too well......for me!

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 5

We sail Royal, Carnival, NCL, MSC, Princess and Holland. I just booked the Apex last week for April 2022. I am a family of four with two daughters ages 10-12. I paid $4079 for  deluxe ocean view veranda. This included the all four perks. Same week 2022 on Royal SOTS was $6250 for four in a balcony with zero perks. No brainer and somewhat shocking that Celebrity has the best price and are very competitive that far out. We no longer sail Royal as they give you the least for the highest cruise rates now we find. We are excited to sail the Apex ......

We have sailed most all of the S and M class ships and are looking forward to our first Edge cruise in a couple of weeks.  I’ve read everything concerning the Edge on CC with a grain of salt.  I am sure there are legitimate “gripes” about the Edge but many people just don’t like change so no matter how wonderful the ship is, they will find fault simply because it’s different.   We plan to have a wonderful cruise regardless of whether it becomes our new favorite ship or not.  

• Like 2

There are "the haters"...reasons ranging from pricing to decor, style , fewer  bars, dislike of  inf Verandas, forward areas devoted to suites..EDEN instead of the trad large lounge.. and other items..

There are EDGIES  who have been super excited from Day 1...Now that we sailed on EDGE, we like it even more. 

We had very good experiences in an AQ Class cabin with BLU and thermal suite  access, AND in a Sunset Veranda with mdr plan.  Loved the ship, EDEN, art  work, shows, music, excellent dining...Solarium , theater etc

Booked on APEX for 2020..

Enjoy your cruise

But it is nothing like Oasis Class...much better!

Edited by hcat

No sky lounge

Not enough bars and no quiet intimate ones

No reasonably priced gift shops

No card room 

No coffee  table in stateroom

TV doesn’t swivel

uncomfortable seating in stateroom and throughout  the ship

there’s more but this is what comes to mind when I think of The Blunders of Edge

• Like 9

Many people are resistant to change and the Edge is much different the the other 2 classes of ship.  Some of the more popular lounges/bars are not found on the Edge ( Sky Lounge with great views, Ensemble and Rendezvous Lounges)  and the decor and furnishings are modern and of course the IV cabins. 

We have been on the Edge and are going again.  Do we love it, No but there are enough things about the ship we enjoyed to make look forward to our cruise this spring. 

2 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

No sky lounge

No card room 

TV doesn’t swivel

there’s more but this is what comes to mind when I think of The Blunders of Edge

I noticed the no sky lounge but felt that the carpet sort of (may be not completely) made up for that as it had stunning views and was always pretty quite.  We found more quite areas on this ship than on Infinity (however, we did Infinity at the height of the summer hols in the med).  Correct no coffee table in  room but we had both a small side table and the table on the veranda that easily moved to info of sofa if required.  We also brought a blow up foot stool so we could lounge back comfortably on our IV .

Don't do gift shops on any ship unless I have run out of Chanel perfume lol (as we found it was much cheaper on board than in any shop in EU or in duty free.

Loved huge TV with free movies being in front of bed as could lie in bed with amazing view (bed next to IV).

For us the biggest blunder was no light warning on balcony when it was unlocked by captain so if locked you have to keep getting up out of bed to go try it to see if unlocked again - we liked it down through the night so if it got locked we couldn't keep getting up to try see if it had been released yet

I’m posting my opinion based on actual experience in an Aqua Class room on Edge last January in the Caribbean. There was a very long build-up and major hype about the ship leading up to its delivery, with (animated) people in an X website video mockup demonstrating the infinite verandah and French doors. The IV really sounded like a game-changer for the industry. The Magic Carpet also was a major focal point of the hype.

Things I liked: 

-Using my iPhone on board in new ways like controlling lights, TV, verandah shade in the room, playing Trivia, checking lunch & dinner menus and so on.

- Blu restaurant’s food & service (though I was sorry the shades were kept closed all the time because of the view being permanently blocked by machinery). We usually book Sky Suites and, for me, Blu was the equivalent of Luminae in food & service.

-the novelty & fun of trying a brand new ship with a new look during its maiden season.

-the big light show coordinated with music at the Martini Bar - loved that huge light fixture.

-Having breezy drinks in the daytime on the Magic Carpet.

-the attractive ocean view cafe had great windows and lots of seating.
-Finding a new variety of items to buy in the shops than on the other ships, including a handbag I love.

-The aft, multi-level Eden lounge green decor of live plants was unique and attractive.

-Sampling all the spa’s multiple special steam/sauna-type novelty rooms (included in price of Aqua Class).

Things I did not like:

-the Infinite Verandah was a disappointment - smaller than a balcony, less feeling of being in the open air (because you were actually still inside the cabin with a big picture window). The verandah furniture was uncomfortable with chairs but no lounge, no footrest. The furniture had to be moved to operate the French doors. You could not step outside and enjoy the space while still keeping drapes closed to avoid disturbing a sleeping spouse or roommate.

-the stateroom sofa also wasn’t comfortable, and was too low to the ground. It was decorated with large and very heavy throw pillows that were a nuisance to deal with.

-Useless decorative items took up space on stateroom surfaces, such as a “vase” labeled that it was not to be used with water, and a sharp-textured faux coral in a niche. Aqua cabins had a carafe of strange-tasting room-temperature tea.

-bathroom door closure was magnetic, making a “bang” inevitable when you tried to close it quietly to avoid waking spouse.

-the closet had very minimal hanging space for any dresses or long jackets.

-extremely loud techno music blared throughout the ship even at 7 am in Ocean View.

-Odd layout of certain parts of the ship, with poor or almost non-existent normal elevator access to some levels. The route to reach or leave the Blu restaurant required walking through a dark fun-house style “forest” hall of mirrors with eerie music - which got pretty old four times a day.

-There did not seem to be enough lounges and most chairs were not comfortable.

-entertainment, including the costumed characters in the Eden Lounge and shows in the theater, went beyond novel into being just strange. A ship’s representative speaking at a program about the entertainment said, in effect, it was expected/created to cause discussion or get a reaction rather than to actually entertain.

-Rather than go on with the negatives, I’ll end by saying the ship was more sizzle than steak in my opinion, and was decorated to make a designer statement rather than provide comfort. Trendy for the sake of trendy, form over function. It seemed created to create buzz and justify big price jumps at the expense of delivering very basic passenger service.

• Like 7

I have been on the Edge twice and will be on the Apex in November. What I find most infuriating about loyal Celebrity cruisers is the amount of complaining that goes on. The Edge Class was built to be different and NOT like any of the other Celebrity cruise ships. From the very start to was marketed to be different. The Edge Class is built to resemble a Resort Hotel in South Beach, Miami and in my opinion it mostly succeeds. For one to appreciate The Edge Class you have to appreciate the aesthetics of the ship. It's all about the design, decor, ambiance. The buffet is the nicest of all the Celebrity Class ships. The Dining Rooms are beautiful designs. People have complained that they don't like the four small divided up designs of the main dining rooms; they say it's just like dining at a land based restaurant. Ummm, that's the whole point of the design!

Much like what Virgin Voyages is trying to do with their new cruiseline, Celebrity is trying to attract NEW cruisers that have never cruised before. For those people, they don't Need a Card Room, they don't NEED a multi-level main Dining Room. They Don't NEED to hear a Caribbean Steel Band Playing at the poolside. These are all elements that long time cruisers seem to want and it was on PURPOSE that the Edge Class of ships left these things out. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

It’s the cool thing to do! Followed by complaints about ‘the cutbacks’ and ‘Celebrity IT’. Most people who have actually sailed Edge and recognize it isn’t a clone of the two other ship classes seem to enjoy it. Others have made their assumptions (and complaints) by looking at pictures of a chair and deciding it’s uncomfortable and they hate it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Chippytoes said:

A lot people hate NCL Epic too...I loved it! So there you go. Everyone has different tastes. We're book on APEX in November...can't wait!

Sailing on the Apex Mediterranean cruise in May this year. I see any new bookings are all refundable up to day prior to final payment which is March 1.

3 hours ago, Docbizarro said:

I’m a loyal royal but just booked a apex cruise for 2021 because of a really good price and wanted to see what royal’s “premium” line was like since the price I got was comparable with Royal’s 

i figured Apex being a brand new ship was a slam dunk. Since I booked I’ve come across this forum and have noticed a trend of people being negative about the edge class but I haven’t seen concrete reasons why.

I’ve sailed on Allure (Oasis), Grandeur (Vision) and Independence (Freedom) and have enjoyed all three with Royal. I enjoy the old smaller ships and the new modern ones.

is the problem that it’s more modern and steering away from traditional cruising?

BINGO!!!

Please remember that there are thousands of passengers weekly on/off The Edge, currently, plus the fact that the ship is sailing at 85%+ and more often 95%+ capacity.... so do not let a few comments here sway you, which can be easy to do with this crowd... LOL

Which category of cabin are you in?

The bellicose posts are about the IV's and what they may be or may not be... each of us has our own take and approach. Many of the negative posters have yet to sail The Edge and are opposed based on what they have read and understand the ship to be like, which is fine. Their opine to be sure.

You will find a few posters who have sailed The Edge and have legitimate dislikes about the ship based on their preferences and desires for 'traditional' cruise ships.

It sounds like you are going on your cruise with an open and accepting mind and will determine if the new E Class is to your liking.

Most of us around here will look forward to your review, accordingly.

bon voyage

• Like 2

I haven't been on Edge class and won't go on it for the following reasons.

Lisa Lutoff-Perlo is pushing more and more of the ship to suites at the expense of veranda and below, in terms of space and many other things.  We stopped cruising Princess when their new class of ships came out and cruised on their first in the Royal Class.  We're not overly impressed by the gimmicks.  To be honest, I am very happy on M Class ships and love the fact that Celebrity is re-investing in them.  Our next cruise is on the Reflection in Aqua class, but everything being equal (got a great deal on this one), I'd be on the Constellation.

It may lack the whistles and bells of these new gimmicky ships, but it has everything we really like about Celebrity and only 2,000 passengers on the ship.  If people love the Edge and Apex, then great for them.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I have been on the Edge twice and will be on the Apex in November. What I find most infuriating about loyal Celebrity cruisers is the amount of complaining that goes on. The Edge Class was built to be different and NOT like any of the other Celebrity cruise ships. From the very start to was marketed to be different. The Edge Class is built to resemble a Resort Hotel in South Beach, Miami and in my opinion it mostly succeeds. For one to appreciate The Edge Class you have to appreciate the aesthetics of the ship. It's all about the design, decor, ambiance. The buffet is the nicest of all the Celebrity Class ships. The Dining Rooms are beautifully designs. People have complained that they don't like the four small divided up designs of the main dining rooms; they say it's just like dining at a land based restaurant. Ummm, that's the whole point of the design!

Much like what Virgin Voyages is trying to do with their new cruiseline, Celebrity is trying to attract NEW cruisers that have never cruised before. For those people, they don't Need a Card Room, they don't NEED a multi-level main Dining Room. They Don't NEED to hear a Caribbean Steel Band Playing at the poolside. These are all elements that long time cruisers seem to want and it was on PURPOSE that the Edge Class of ships left these things out. 

Very good summation..I’m sailing Edge in March, very much looking forward to it, even more so now due to you thoughts...thanks..

Last Celebrity Cruise was a 10 day Southern Carribean on the EQ last fall. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

No sky lounge

No card room 

TV doesn’t swivel

That's what makes us all different.  

None of those things would bother me too much.

We have only been on Solstice class but I'm planning to book on the Apex TA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, andyfriend80 said:

That's what makes us all different.  

None of those things would bother me too much.

We have only been on Solstice class but I'm planning to book on the Apex TA.

I've been on every one of the S class ships except for Solstice so this will be a new experience for me on the Apex. I did enjoy having the TV swivel as I watch the news in bed at night.  Also booked a regular balcony not an IV so perhaps being outside the chairs may be different. Lack of coffee table I can live with only used it to pile stuff on anyway. We are 2 ladies sharing the cabin. Will there be enough drawer space. When I've cruised solo I use every bit of drawers. 

In response to the OP, if you do not like Edge, do not cancel another Celebrity sailing on an M or S Class ship...Edge is so different from Celebrity’s other classes of ships that I really felt I was on another cruiseline!!  I kept catching myself saying “Wow!  This is so different from Celebrity!”

I don’t know why there is so much negativity about Edge other than to say people are resistant to change.  I myself was sure I’d hate Edge...canceled an early booking we had due to concerns.  Then friends drug us along with them...and we LOVED her!  I was certain the lack of the Sky Lounge would ruin my cruise; no, actually Eden more than makes up for it.  We loved the smaller four MDR concept.  The ship is absolutely beautiful!  The food in the Buffet is so good that it is embarrassing and inexplicable that it isn’t available fleet wide.  I mean, the croissants, especially the almond croissants, are meltingly delicious, rivaling anything from France.  They bear no resemblance to the croissants on the rest of the fleet.

Frankly, I’m OK with lots of people saying there are deal breakers for them on Edge.  If it isn’t their cup of tea then please don’t sail on her.  I want to be surrounded by like minded people saying with huge smiles on their faces “Isn’t this ship great?!”

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1