Just booked Apex (1st celebrity cruise) - why so much hate for edge class?

Docbizarro

4 hours ago, Docbizarro said:

I’m a loyal royal but just booked a apex cruise for 2021 because of a really good price and wanted to see what royal’s “premium” line was like since the price I got was comparable with Royal’s 

i figured Apex being a brand new ship was a slam dunk. Since I booked I’ve come across this forum and have noticed a trend of people being negative about the edge class but I haven’t seen concrete reasons why.

I’ve sailed on Allure (Oasis), Grandeur (Vision) and Independence (Freedom) and have enjoyed all three with Royal. I enjoy the old smaller ships and the new modern ones.

is the problem that it’s more modern and steering away from traditional cruising?

I certainly hate the prices for the edge and apex, so I can't comment on cruising on either ship.

1 minute ago, 4774Papa said:

I certainly hate the prices for the edge and apex, so I can't comment on cruising on either ship.

I got 2 of of in an IV cabin for £650 each with 2 perks - couldn't find any other 7 day cruise on celeb for less when we booked.

I’m one who won’t ever be back on Edge because the entire experience was so unpleasant primarily due to the incessant BOOM BOOM beat that I never found a way to escape.  I missed the forward facing sky lounge, the Intimacy of Ensemble or Rendezvous, a place where there might be some quiet, pleasant pre-dinner music or even some blessed daytime silence.  I missed the library —- they didn’t even have a “leave a book” shelf.  I hated the unwanted “interactions” with the Edenites.  I disliked so many features of my room, from the tiny closet, to the rock-hard sofa, to the boxed-in power outlets that didn’t accept my plugs.  I found the decor cold and unappealing (with the exception of the 4 dining rooms with Tuscan being the most cheerful of the bunch).  No, there was nothing about that ship that would ever lure me back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t have a good answer other than it is very different from other Celebrity ships. 

I have a thrifty cruiser review on here that should give you a good idea what to expect. A word of warning we loved the ship, so it has a more positive spin. I would also say we definitely felt like we were on a ship the whole time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really believe that many people just don't like change.   If I had believed everything I read here about Edge I would never have sailed on her.    My experience was that it was different but very much enjoyed my cruise.   Would I cruise Edge again?   Yes -  but not at the inflated prices.   Edge has plenty to like but does have some big misses also.  

Many of the misses are being addressed and modified so you shouldn't see these on Apex.   Notably installing either shower curtains or shower doors to prevent the bathroom from flooding.    Installing frosting on the glass doors of the infinity veranda rooms.    Removing some huge rocking chairs and installing some tables in the rooms.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I’m one who won’t ever be back on Edge because the entire experience was so unpleasant primarily due to the incessant BOOM BOOM beat that I never found a way to escape.  I missed the forward facing sky lounge, the Intimacy of Ensemble or Rendezvous, a place where there might be some quiet, pleasant pre-dinner music or even some blessed daytime silence.  I missed the library —- they didn’t even have a “leave a book” shelf.  I hated the unwanted “interactions” with the Edenites.  I disliked so many features of my room, from the tiny closet, to the rock-hard sofa, to the boxed-in power outlets that didn’t accept my plugs.  I found the decor cold and unappealing (with the exception of the 4 dining rooms with Tuscan being the most cheerful of the bunch).  No, there was nothing about that ship that would ever lure me back.

funny how 2 sailings can be so different- I like peace and quite and spend a lot of my time reading and found this ship much better for this than Infinity was.  I am surprised that any ships still have libraries/ book lending as this is an sure fired way to spread viruses about.  

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

Libraries are no worse than dining room menus, surely?

Again that's just not a feature that non cruisers are looking for. You certainly don't find libraries in a land based resort hotel. That's just a feature that 'traditional' cruise ships have offered. I have 85 cruises under my belt and not once did I ever take a book from a ship's library.  With ebooks you have a whole library in your hand!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

hopefully people have washed/ steralised hands before dining not so much all they way through reading a novel.  Also I always have hand sanitiser to use after reading menus (due to my health situation).  

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I haven't seen a clean dining room menu yet - on or off a shop.  I'll be on the 3rd Apex sailing this May out of Rome so I assume everything will be almost spotless.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I have cruised 79 times, for a total of 741 days, and we both agree that the Edge was the best ship we have experienced.  We were able to upgrade from a CAT 9 inside to a IV for no additional charge about a month before boarding. 

The best cabin we have experienced.  Love the extended feel of the long room with a "glass wall", which was versatile, as well as private.  

We have cruised every ship built for Celebrity since 1993, and I'm sure we will book the Apex in the next year.  Yes, the ship is unique and non-traditional, but we are ready to try something new.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kelmac said:

My wife and I have cruised 79 times, for a total of 741 days, and we both agree that the Edge was the best ship we have experienced.  We were able to upgrade from a CAT 9 inside to a IV for no additional charge about a month before boarding. 

The best cabin we have experienced.  Love the extended feel of the long room with a "glass wall", which was versatile, as well as private.  

We have cruised every ship built for Celebrity since 1993, and I'm sure we will book the Apex in the next year.  Yes, the ship is unique and non-traditional, but we are ready to try something new.  

Any upgrade hints? 

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

You will find a few posters who have sailed The Edge and have legitimate dislikes about the ship based on their preferences and desires for 'traditional' cruise ships.

Among those who have either sailed and disliked the lack the some traditional amenities or disliked some of the new offerings (such as the Eden performers that some have found to be kind of "creepy"), along with those who've just heard about them and are already forming opinions, there may also be the fear that sometime in the future there may not be a choice of S Class, M Class and Edge Class.... or maybe I'm the only one who worries about that?  When Edge came out, I was slightly intrigued, but looking over the marketing materials was not attracted by the decor or gimmicks.  I was also pretty sticker-shocked, and figured if that was the way (read, "pricing") of the future, I'd be looking at other cruise lines.  Maybe I'll try one of the new ships in the next couple of years if I find a price and itinerary that appeals to me, but I really hope that Celebrity continues to offer us choices between the traditional ships and the new ones, and doesn't phase out traditional cruising as they add new ships to their fleet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I’m not trying to persuade you but the inaugural cruise you took on Edge in December ‘18 and the Edge today are very different experience.  We sailed last week and yes there is no library.  However trivia is alive and well, al Bacio is a quiet space during the day, Eden by day is very relaxing and a great way to watch the sea go by.  The Edenist are only in Eden and do two shows per cruise at 10:15 per cruise.  They do make appearances during dinner in the Eden Restaurant but every 30 minutes probably for a 3 minute performance and we did not see them interacting with guests.  I believe that Eden now has an elevator from deck 5 down to 4.

As I said, not trying to change your mind but it is a very different cruise experience 13+ months later.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fragilek said:

I noticed the no sky lounge but felt that the carpet sort of (may be not completely) made up for that as it had stunning views and was always pretty quite. 

The magic carpet ranged from windy to very very windy.  You have 20 MPH winds while the ship is cruising when there is no wind.  Put a small quiet place inside where it is not humid where you can go have a drink in the evenings and look out the front and that would be a definite improvement.  The views out of the Sky Lounge were much better than the Magic Carpet.  The Sky Lounge has bridge quality views.  When we were up there on the Magic Carpet we were the only other couple.  Of course there were 30 to 40 mph winds.

Loud and shouty is my review of the Edge in the evenings.  They took all of the small intimate venues out and consolidated them into larger loud and shouty venues.  The specialty dining on Edge was a let down.  

Give me S class any day.

We could never get a seat in Al Baccio.  It was always too packed.

The Edge only gets 3.5 stars on user reviews when the other ships get 4.0.  It is a different experience.  

The Edge also has more cruisers on board.  If you like more people the ship is for you.

I felt that the Edenists were weird and strange and sophmoric.

The Edge is also missing Cellar Masters and/or the World Class bar.

Some don't like the faux balcony.  I don't.

The Edge does not match my cruising style.  If you like it enjoy!

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

I’m looking forward to being on the Edge in July. I’ve only been on Solstice ships. I do have reservations about the IV and it seems that the vast majority are IV including Aqua and Concierge. I’m not sure whether we can stretch anymore to booking suites so maybe it will be back to Solstice for us.  Unless I can snag a SV. 

Edited by Pushka

I also sailed on the Edge in its early inaugural days.  And to the OP,  I've also sailed on Allure and Grandeur that you mentioned, plus other RC ships and even more Celebrity ships going all the way back to the Zenith days. 

As far as the Edge is concerned, it is really a personal preference and depends on how you cruise. 

For me, I do not like the Infinite Verandas, which I was in, and would not sail in one again unless it was in a cold weather itinerary (think Alaska or Baltics) where I would not use a balcony anyway.  I much prefer a regular balcony as I love to spend time out there. If you are a person than doesn't really care about the balcony, the extra cabin space of the IV would serve you well.

I really missed the Sky Lounge, and the other bars/lounges that the M & S Class Celebrity ships offer, and even the variety of other lounges that RC and other cruise lines offer.  I do feel that if you are booked in a suite on the Edge class you will experience a totally different cruise than someone not in a suite since you have access to other areas. The Martini Bar just doesn't cut it IMO as it gets way too crowded,  and I did find the seating in the Eden Lounge to be uncomfortable for the most part, and The Club Lounge atmosphere was not to my likely as well.

I loved, loved the 4 MDR concept!  And the theatre design in the round was great as well.

I know, Celebrity has tweaked things since I was on the ship, thankfully.  And, because of that, I have actually booked the APEX with some friends for Dec 2020, but in a Sunset Balcony.  Willing to give it another try, but at least I will have a REAL balcony! We will see what happens The Second Time Around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Any upgrade hints? 

Don't use the upgrade program; way too expensive.  I check prices every day between final payment and a couple of weeks before embarkation.  I've got a great TA who will negotiate with agents to score upgrades/perks, but I have to be the one to initiate the process after spotting a price drop.  Many times you will see "for new bookings only", but contact your TA anyway, as the cruise line may be looking for your current category or location for guarantee bookings, or to solve other inventory problems.

I would say we get an upgrade for a small amount of money, or no additional money at all, about 25% of the time.  Remember, last year Celebrity was trying to hold steady on their pricing for the Edge, but they were looking at multiple empty cabins going into the last 60 days before sailing.

Works on other lines as well.

Enjoy!

Kel

7 hours ago, Docbizarro said:

Just booked Apex (1st celebrity cruise) - why so much hate for edge class?

Haven’t you heard? The use of cell phones is too prolific on the Edge and there are creeps taking your picture without your permission! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks Oville, It’s good to hear that programming has improved but the closets are still just as small as they were aren’t they, the sofa is just as hard as it was, the chairs are s till uncomfortably low, the decor is still greige, there still isn’t  a forward on the much touted “outward-facing” plan.  When words like creepy, silly, sophomoric, weird, crowded,  uncomfortable, loud and shouty match my experience, why would I go back🤔

30 minutes ago, farmermd said:

Haven’t you heard? The use of cell phones is too prolific on the Edge and there are creeps taking your picture without your permission! 

We did  not notice the picture taking because our faces were buried in our phones at the martini bar.  🙂  Long live Steve and Wozniak! 🙂JK

Of course in the evenings getting a seat at the martini bar was rather difficult.  We found ourselves standing a floor or two up.

There is a younger crowd on the Edge.  

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Thanks Oville, It’s good to hear that programming has improved but the closets are still just as small as they were aren’t they, the sofa is just as hard as it was, the chairs are s till uncomfortably low, the decor is still greige, there still isn’t  a forward on the much touted “outward-facing” plan.  When words like creepy, silly, sophomoric, weird, crowded,  uncomfortable, loud and shouty match my experience, why would I go back🤔

As I said, I wasn’t trying to convince you and I know you are a long time Celebrity cruiser, Zenith right?  But my point was that Celebrity listened and made substantial changes to Edge since the inaugural cruise and your input was no doubt helpful.

Hope our paths cross someday on a cruise.  Katie

• Thanks 1

Don't want to be on a Floating Hotel.  A cruise ship with plenty of outside/inside spaces to be connected to the ocean.  Wind in my face/views for everyone (Sky Lounge).  Balconies where you control your own interaction with the elements.  Access to all outside locations.  View the birds and sea life.   And be able to take way too many pictures.

• Like 2