Geelong

We have a full day scheduled as a port stop in Melbourne.

Looking at spending a few hours in Geelong. No driving.

I see there is a new ferry service from Docklands - Geelong & return, and the timings work well.

Anyone used this ?

If not the ferry, would the train or the bus be best ?

Also appreciate any recommendations for a long lunch somewhere nice in Geelong, with a good view.

Thanks. 

May I ask why you would want to visit Geelong? Is there nothing you would like to see in Melbourne? 

That said, Geelong is a great city to visit, particularly along the waterfront. The ferry sounds a great idea but if the weather is not suitable there is a chance it may be cancelled. One thing to consider - how will you get to Victoria Harbour at Docklands to catch the ferry? You could take a taxi, or the light rail from Beacon Cove (a few minutes walk from Station Pier) into Southern Cross Station (just around the corner of Collins Street - stop 1) then walk from via Spencer Street and over the foot bridge and past Marvel Stadium down to the ferry terminal.  

You of course can catch the Geelong train from Southern Cross Station. It is about $27 or $28 return and takes about an hour. There are numerous trains running throughout the day. You will most likely need to purchase Myki cards. For lunch I would suggest somewhere close to the waterfront, particularly if you catch the ferry. My favourite is Cafego, a couple of blocks walk from the waterfront. It’s a bit different! 

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy. 

Leigh

8 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Thanks for the info Leigh, appreciated.

We may well spend the day in Melbourne having been quite a few times.

Just wanted another option up our sleeves in case we want a quieter day.

If you haven’t already done so , a nice trip is to take the train to Williamstown and then the ferry back .We went both ways on the  train as we did not know about the ferry .Perhaps a local could give more info .Its a lovely historic town .

Great idea re Williamstown. It is a beautiful area with many historical buildings. I have quite a soft spot for it as  my grandfather was born there, his father was a sailor and then a light housekeeper. I love to visit Williamstown and wander around and must do again soon. There are many cafes, pubs and restaurants to have lunch.

Leigh

• Thanks 1