MSC Seaside — Thoughts??

nt199206

Hello all!  Just booked the MSC Seaside (Carib) for July 2020.  I have seen so many mixed reviews regarding both MSC and the Seaside herself.  Who has sailed MSC before? This will be my first MSC voyage.  Previously I have sailed Princess and Norwegian.   How likely would you guys sail MSC again? 

43 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Are you in Yacht Club?

I love the Seaside...haven't really seen mixed reviews, but whether or not you are in YC will make a big difference.

We’ve found that Yacht Club experiences also differ from ship to ship.

Although many people have different expectations there is absolutely no reason as to why you shouldn’t have an enjoyable cruise experience which ever you book.

• Thanks 1

NCL Haven and MSC Yacht Club are now our cruises of choice. We had a fantastic time on Seaside and are booked on Seaside again as well as booked on Meraviglia for the first time.

There are some things where NCL beats MSC and there are some things where MSC beats NCL.

You don't NEED Yacht Club on MSC to have a great time just as you don't NEED Haven on NCL to have a great time.

See below for a great non-Yacht Club review...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sailed on Seaside twice plus Six other MSC ships on Ten cruises none of them in the YC. Also sailed NCL and Princess and Three other lines, go with an open mind and remember that reviews are from a small percentage of the total number who cruise with any cruise line. You do not need the YC to have a great time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nt199206 said:

Hello all!  Just booked the MSC Seaside (Carib) for July 2020.  I have seen so many mixed reviews regarding both MSC and the Seaside herself.  Who has sailed MSC before? This will be my first MSC voyage.  Previously I have sailed Princess and Norwegian.   How likely would you guys sail MSC again? 

Like you, I’ve booked my first MSC cruise (August, 2020). I am platinum plus with NCL and was honestly intrigued by the loyalty match as well as what I’ve read about MSC. I took the advice of a great TA that I met on one of my cruises and he convinced me to take the leap of faith. So, probably like you, I’ve been reading and reading and reading reviews and yes, some of them make me cringe. BUT I’ve also been reading posts from CC members like Two Wheels Only and sidari which honestly has helped me put my “fears” aside. 

I am really looking forward to my first venture away from NCL....my only worry is this is my second solo cruise and on a new cruise line. 😳 I knew a lot of frequent cruisers on NCL which made my first solo cruise last year easier. BUT, no matter what, I will have a fabulous time on the Seaside....unless they run out of pizza and gelato! 😉

Edited by NayRN
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NayRN said:

Like you, I’ve booked my first MSC cruise (August, 2020). I am platinum plus with NCL and was honestly intrigued by the loyalty match as well as what I’ve read about MSC. I took the advice of a great TA that I met on one of my cruises and he convinced me to take the leap of faith. So, probably like you, I’ve been reading and reading and reading reviews and yes, some of them make me cringe. BUT I’ve also been reading posts from CC members like Two Wheels Only and sidari which honestly has helped me put my “fears” aside. 

I am really looking forward to my first venture away from NCL....my only worry is this is my second solo cruise and on a new cruise line. 😳 I knew a lot of frequent cruisers on NCL which made my first solo cruise last year easier. BUT, no matter what, I will have a fabulous time on the Seaside....unless they run out of pizza and gelato! 😉

Thank you Nay! Yea I have seen some crazy back and forth reviews.. I just love the idea of cruising in general and make the best of it. I think the biggest leap of faith was from Princess to NCL and I will be honest, NCL blew Princess away in the entertainment and food department... as well as staterooms. In August are you doing the Puerto Rico/St Thomas/Nassau/Ocean Cay voyage also? I will do a follow up post when we get back to let you know how it is!

5 hours ago, nt199206 said:

Thank you Nay! Yea I have seen some crazy back and forth reviews.. I just love the idea of cruising in general and make the best of it. I think the biggest leap of faith was from Princess to NCL and I will be honest, NCL blew Princess away in the entertainment and food department... as well as staterooms. In August are you doing the Puerto Rico/St Thomas/Nassau/Ocean Cay voyage also? I will do a follow up post when we get back to let you know how it is!

I’ll  be sailing on  a Western Cruise w/ Ocho Rios, Grand Carmen, Cozumel and the private island. BTW, I’m booked on the Discovery Princess TA 11/2021! Sailing so long with NCL, I’m giving them all a shot now!

• Thanks 1

We are OLD !

We started sailing decades ago. First with portholes, graduated to windows and eventually a balcony. Enjoyed them all.

Have sailed most every cruiseline and actually did MSC several times before the yacht club was even a reality. Loved it.

But since we got older, we have gone for better cabins and service. Some of my favorite are on the larger Royal Caribbean ships. BUT..... once you have done YC...

We cannot go back. The service is to incredible. I love that we do NOT have to buy a drink package because it is included.

The ease getting on and off the ship is like no other. We always check around but you cannot beat the YC prices when comparing with the other cruiselines.

We are fortunate to have snagged a YC3 this October on Seaside. I am sure that will be our last time for that category.

YC1 will stay about the same but the YC3 will DOUBLE in price next year.

11 hours ago, NayRN said:

We also were frequent NCL cruisers who gave MSC a year ago and found we very much liked the MSC experience. In fact, we are about to go on our third MSC cruise since and have a fourth scheduled.   We've been on Divina in a regular cabin and in the Yacht Club on Seaside.  Our next will be a balcony on Divina.  Each of us looks for something different in a cruise but please allow me to echo those who wrote that you do not need to be in the YC to enjoy MSC.  In fact, we could have booked YC for our upcoming cruise and decided that although we liked being in the YC, for us, it wasn't worth the added expense.  Yet, we realize others find the YC worth every penny!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, I don't think anyone said you need to be in YC to enjoy MSC. Personally, I asked if they were YC because the experience will differ based on what you sail. The OP asked for thoughts on the Seaside, so that is why I asked if they were in YC.

Similarly, pros and cons will differ based on YC or non-YC.

So, to the OP, if you want "thoughts" on the Seaside, what are you sailing?

Kevin

We love the Seaside, 4 times last year (2 with Princess last year).

We've done both YC ans non-YC on Seaside and honestly, enjoyed both ways very much. We're definitely not in the YC or nothing camp..  

We love having a full production show every night.  We love the differences in food - actually appropriate person sizes, multiple options, always available ribeye/salmon/chicken. The pasta and risottos are awesome. And the pizza blows Princess pizza out if the water. 

We also really like the MSC service, very much continental European style, not in your face checking every five minutes shilling for tips, but rather solid, efficient, friendly service, there if you need them, and not if you don't. Reminds us of being in Rome or Venice, etc.  

Rooms are great, sofas in all balcony cabins versus Princess one desk chair. Decent sized balconies. Closets need some work - that's a big difference from Princess and they're huge walk-in closets.  Bathrooms are comparable. And the no self service laundry is a let down, but who really needs it for a week long cruise. We get tbe laundry package as we do two weeks at a time, minimum.

We've thoroughly enjoyed Aurea on Seaside. Drink package, anytime dining, private deck and hot tubs with bar, thermal suite, two massages, priority boarding ans so forth. Great bundled package Experience.  Our next cruise will be Bella though, and we'll upgrade to Premium Plus, buy the thermal suiteand do a specialty dining package and still be a while seriously heck of a lot cheaper than YC and a good deal less than Aurea. 

Be sure to research the Experiences.  That seems ti be where most people have issues. - they assume the Experience doesn't matter, that everything works like other lines - that's not the case. The Experience determines what's included. All Experiences include the basics: cruise, entertainment, dining room, buffet, ports and so forth - basic no frills cruise Experience.  Bella is just that, basic economy, so to speak. No frills, basic cruise Experience. Fantastica is more like economy, with a few extras, free room service delivery, priority in traditional dining times, better room locations. Aurea is like Premium economy or business class. Priority boardings, anytime dining, thermal suite, drink package, two massages, private deck area,  and more . Yacht Club is like international business or First. Private section of ship, private dining room, private lounge, private pool and deck with grill, butlers, priority boarding (in ports also), premium drink package, etc.  Depends what's important to you for which Experience you book.  People complain when booking the cheapest, but then not getting the upgraded inclusions.  They didn't do their homework!

We personally thoroughly enjoy MSC and are looking forward to many more cruises with them. We'll still cruise Princess and Celebrity of course, but MSC has moved to the top of the list ti check first. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bluewake said:

We also were frequent NCL cruisers who gave MSC a year ago and found we very much liked the MSC experience. In fact, we are about to go on our third MSC cruise since and have a fourth scheduled.   We've been on Divina in a regular cabin and in the Yacht Club on Seaside.  Our next will be a balcony on Divina.  Each of us looks for something different in a cruise but please allow me to echo those who wrote that you do not need to be in the YC to enjoy MSC.  In fact, we could have booked YC for our upcoming cruise and decided that although we liked being in the YC, for us, it wasn't worth the added expense.  Yet, we realize others find the YC worth every penny!

Thank you so much! The positive

22 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

We've done both YC ans non-YC on Seaside and honestly, enjoyed both ways very much. We're definitely not in the YC or nothing camp..  

We love having a full production show every night.  We love the differences in food - actually appropriate person sizes, multiple options, always available ribeye/salmon/chicken. The pasta and risottos are awesome. And the pizza blows Princess pizza out if the water. 

We also really like the MSC service, very much continental European style, not in your face checking every five minutes shilling for tips, but rather solid, efficient, friendly service, there if you need them, and not if you don't. Reminds us of being in Rome or Venice, etc.  

Rooms are great, sofas in all balcony cabins versus Princess one desk chair. Decent sized balconies. Closets need some work - that's a big difference from Princess and they're huge walk-in closets.  Bathrooms are comparable. And the no self service laundry is a let down, but who really needs it for a week long cruise. We get tbe laundry package as we do two weeks at a time, minimum.

We've thoroughly enjoyed Aurea on Seaside. Drink package, anytime dining, private deck and hot tubs with bar, thermal suite, two massages, priority boarding ans so forth. Great bundled package Experience.  Our next cruise will be Bella though, and we'll upgrade to Premium Plus, buy the thermal suiteand do a specialty dining package and still be a while seriously heck of a lot cheaper than YC and a good deal less than Aurea. 

Be sure to research the Experiences.  That seems ti be where most people have issues. - they assume the Experience doesn't matter, that everything works like other lines - that's not the case. The Experience determines what's included. All Experiences include the basics: cruise, entertainment, dining room, buffet, ports and so forth - basic no frills cruise Experience.  Bella is just that, basic economy, so to speak. No frills, basic cruise Experience. Fantastica is more like economy, with a few extras, free room service delivery, priority in traditional dining times, better room locations. Aurea is like Premium economy or business class. Priority boardings, anytime dining, thermal suite, drink package, two massages, private deck area,  and more . Yacht Club is like international business or First. Private section of ship, private dining room, private lounge, private pool and deck with grill, butlers, priority boarding (in ports also), premium drink package, etc.  Depends what's important to you for which Experience you book.  People complain when booking the cheapest, but then not getting the upgraded inclusions.  They didn't do their homework!

We personally thoroughly enjoy MSC and are looking forward to many more cruises with them. We'll still cruise Princess and Celebrity of course, but MSC has moved to the top of the list ti check first. 

Thank you for your detailed response! We booked the Fantastica experience which I figured for our first time on this line was a reasonable start.  This definitely puts me at ease... it is amazing the things people complain about on here. I was almost second guessing myself... I cannot wait for our cruise on the Seaside this summer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, thank you so much for all this info.  This will be our 8th cruise in March, and I was mostly worried about the space since three of us will be in a suite, but this was a reminder that, as on other cruises, the food, entertainment, and service make up the majority of your trip experience, not the hour (or two!) you spend in the room getting ready in the morning.  I was bummed about some of the negative reviews I read, although I took some of them with a grain of salt as I realized it was people who want the American way all the time and didn't like the European style of the ship.  Probably the same people that complain about restaurants in Paris.

Your non-YC wasn't a suite by chance?  Checking Youtube is confusing because it seems most views are of a hot tub one which I think are bigger and set up differently.  I'm hoping the sofa is by the balcony, not the bed, to facilitate middle of the night bathroom trips.

We've mostly cruised on different lines based on destination or theme and price, and have tried most of them.  Very happy with Celebrity and Princess, disliked Carnival.  Hoping to try RCCL next.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, reedprincess said:

19 hours ago, nt199206 said:

Thank you so much! The positive

Thank you for your detailed response! We booked the Fantastica experience which I figured for our first time on this line was a reasonable start.  This definitely puts me at ease... it is amazing the things people complain about on here. I was almost second guessing myself... I cannot wait for our cruise on the Seaside this summer!

Reedprincess said it best...research the experiences. I'll also add to research the drink packages (if you drink that is).

The Seaside is an amazingly beautiful ship - you'll definitely enjoy it. Research what Aurea gives you and what Yacht Club gives you. If you are fine not having those things - or think the price point is too high - then stay with Fantastica.

We are booked on Poesia, which doesn't have a YC, and chose Fantastica. But we have 2 more Seaside sailings and a Divina this year and chose YC for those. We will be happy with all of them.

Kevin

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 7:16 AM, sidari said:

Sailed on Seaside twice plus Six other MSC ships on Ten cruises none of them in the YC. Also sailed NCL and Princess and Three other lines, go with an open mind and remember that reviews are from a small percentage of the total number who cruise with any cruise line. You do not need the YC to have a great time.

Does the Seaside have metal doors that will hold a magnet?  Want to decorate it.  Bought magnetic hooks for inside, too, hope they work.

On 1/25/2020 at 1:02 AM, nt199206 said:

We sailed Seaside back in Sept and loved it so much that we sail out this Friday on Divina. The ship is gorgeous, the service incredible, love the little perks like pay $10 for a wrist  band that is your room key (makes it so easy)., and in buffet areas they have things on every table that you can press for bar service.  Any specific questions?  If you have any loyalty with another vendor they will status match you too.  That perk is the best 

4 hours ago, lptazbear said:

We sailed Seaside back in Sept and loved it so much that we sail out this Friday on Divina. The ship is gorgeous, the service incredible, love the little perks like pay $10 for a wrist  band that is your room key (makes it so easy)., and in buffet areas they have things on every table that you can press for bar service.  Any specific questions?  If you have any loyalty with another vendor they will status match you too.  That perk is the best 

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain Divina doesn't have the wristbands nor the bar service call buttons in the buffet. Those things are mainly on the newer, more tech equipping ships. 

Please report back and let us know if that's changed.  Thanks .

we have saile 3x on MSC 2x on the Divina and once on the Seaside, we have also sailed RCCL, CCL, HAL, NCL,Princess, X and even the Big red boat with Premier Cruise Lines... we love MSC for the differences ...the way we look at things is once you've been to a port more than once what changes....all of the major cruise lines are offering the same old thing with the same passenger makeup and the same Americanized private islands....We now cruise MSC not because they are better but because they are different.

• Like 1

I just got off the Seaside this past Saturday.  My experience was amazing!! But I do agree, there could be a different experience in the YC vs. any other.  My bid was accepted when given the option to bid on YC Interior.  Honestly, it was the best thing I did!! I gave up my balcony stateroom on the 11th deck and received an interior cabin on the 16th deck.  I don't spend much time in the cabin, (up early and out late and once it's dark can't see a thing any way...I also turned on the TV and looked at the On board Ship Camera and that was my window when I wanted to see what was going on outside)  I will most definitely Book the Seaside again (but would like the YC).  Honestly, Last Year I was on RC Allure of the Seas.  For what I paid for an outside cabin on allure for 2 of us including the drink package, you can book a balcony cabin in the YC for the same pricing.  I am sold on MSC!!!

We, too, just left Seaside after two weeks aboard.  We chose the Bella experience as we want set dining time, and never use room service.  It was a good choice for us.

With 44 cruises under our belts, we agreed that Seaside was in the top five.  It was just an outstanding cruise in virtually all respects, from the ship itself to the service to the private island, Ocean Cay.  Crew were friendly and helpful.  Passengers were diverse (which we enjoyed; some might not).  Out of 4500 passengers, fewer than 700 were US, 800 Canadians, 800 Brazilians, many French, German, British, and more.  The age range was the greatest we've seen, from toddlers to seniors. 

The shows were quite entertaining (we went back a second time for most of them).  Deck 8 outdoor spaces are lovely.