Norway Fjords..what to wear on deck

orangedec10

My husband and I are seasoned cruisers....but we’ve really only cruise to warm weather locations.

We booked a trip to the Norwegian Fords in May. I’m at a bit of a lost for what to wear on board. I get it...layers...but even on deck?  Will hats and gloves be needed? Boots too?

I am especially concerned bc I know I’ll need to prepare ahead - I live in South Florida so I barely own any shoes that aren’t sandals. 😂

Thanks in advance for your input!!

We did a Norwegian Fjords Cruise with a few days pre cruise days in Amsterdam last May. I layered using long sleeve tops, a fleece jacket and then an unlined wind proof, water proof jacket over all. It has a hood that I used instead of an umbrella. I took a pair of gloves and my 180’s ear warmers. BTW I bought the jacket at Costco and it was perfect for this trip. They may stock them this Spring if you are interested and shop at Costco. It was often windy and it did rain some so this type of jacket is a must.  I felt that all my clothing worked well for this cruise. After the cruise, we took the train from Amsterdam to Paris and all my clothing worked well there also. 

On the ship I wore just my long sleeve tops and knit pants and if I went outside I put on the fleece and rain jacket for added warmth if needed. I did not take boots and did not miss them.  I packed everything in a roll aboard and personal item tote. I also took one base layer top and pants (32 Degrees Below brand, also from Costco). I think I wore the top once. I wore things more than once, dressed up  tops for Gala evenings on the ship and it all worked as most were similarly dressed. 

I hope i’ve helped you out and feel free to ask questions.  BTW this was an amazing cruise. 

Sharon

• Like 2

Yes, good comfortable walking shoes.  I did spray them with a silicone water repellent but It didn’t rain hard enough to really get them wet. I should have mentioned that my fleece jacket is not a work out style but a bit more dressy as in Talbots fleece. So I could wear it for warmth as well as looking nice in the various ship venues (didn’t really need it  very often for this) and in restaurants on land.  I also took a few scarves to change things up a bit. 

I do not know your ports or your planned activities but I’ll add this just FYI. Our adult children did the Pulpit Rock hike and were able to get by without hiking type things even though part of the trail was a bit muddy and slippery. 

We were active in each port port, used public transport in a few, did a lot of walking, some in light rain and drizzle and were fine with what we brought. 

Overall temps were in the 40’s and 50’s and sometimes windy and or cloudy the first part of May. 

18 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

I also took a few scarves to change things up a bit. 

What purduemom wore is exactly what I took to Norway. I always bring scarves. If it is really cold, I put them over my hair inside the rain jacket hood. 

• Like 1

You also may want to invest in a smart wool buff & hat with a brim,  to protect your skin in bright weather,   the buff is great for keeping the hat in place and cold wind off you face...  this is what we did in Iceland, not Norway, but similar idea....