Earliest entry to embarkation terminal building in Miami -- 9AM?

golfguyhhi

I have a problem that I'm hoping the CC community can help resolve.  American Airlines has changed the time of our flight into Miami.  We were to have landed at 9:35, which in the past would put us at Terminal J at about 10:15  AM.  We normally dropped off our luggage, checked in at the front desk, went up the escalator, through the X-ray station, filled out our health questionnaire, and then find a comfortable place to sit and people watch until boarding starts at 11 AM.  A very pleasant routine.

American has changed the flight to arrive at about 8 AM, which certainly alters our schedule.

Do any of you know how early the luggage handlers will accept luggage for the to-be-boarded cruise?  Might it be as early as 9 AM?  How about entrance to the terminal building?  We're not crazy about sitting there from 9 to 11, but we'd rather do it inside than outside (especially since there is no outside seating).  The couches are soft and we can find lots to read.

It just might be more than 2 hrs wait - ship happens. You just never know.

If you haven't seen this thread, take a look:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2728115-fyi-sirena-late-arrival-january-25/

BTW, since it's the airline that changed your schedule significantly, you are allowed to ask for a different flight free of charge (if seats are available) - it might be something to explore.

44 minutes ago, golfguyhhi said:

American has changed the flight to arrive at about 8 AM, which certainly alters our schedule.

Do any of you know how early the luggage handlers will accept luggage for the to-be-boarded cruise?  Might it be as early as 9 AM?  How about entrance to the terminal building?  We're not crazy about sitting there from 9 to 11, but we'd rather do it inside than outside (especially since there is no outside seating).  The couches are soft and we can find lots to read.

I see this post is far too long. You can safely jump to the last few lines

I ONCE took a red eye day of embarkation (little choice) arriving toooo early am .  Killed an hour or so at the airport. A cup of coffee, pastry and fighting the miserable jet lag and lack of sleep . Meet another couple in(on) the same boat. Could tell from their bleary eyes rechecking the time every few minutes.

We killed as much time as we could tolerate and headed out to the terminal arriving maybe  a little after 9. The plan was to just drop our luggage and leave for some shopping. A few longshoremen waiting around for the new arrivals. One approached us to take our luggage perhaps looking forward to tip (but in fairness did not indicate looking for one and was actually very helpful ). So we could leave our luggage early - no problems.

I asked the attendant at the terminal  what time we would be able to enter and sit upstairs as by now both of us were not looking forward to wandering through the nearby Market. We were told that while it IS early she would let us in (in fact almost encourage it so maybe I really did look in bad shape)  and encourage that by suggesting the ship could be cleared early and we could go on board sooner. Wonderful. As it turns out the ship was failing the Coast Guard inspection requiring changes to be made and we sat there for many hours not boarding until after 1 pm.

Bottom line is I expect you can drop off your luggage as the longshoremen will be on stand-by. I think even if the ship is late arriving they will be starting their shift at scheduled time. You may or may not be allowed entry into the terminal early so a plan B for the R & R should be considered. Maybe kill the additional hour or so at the airport. Maybe the airline will temporarily misplace your luggage and you can be preoccupied tracking it down. 🙂

Edited by YoHoHo
Added the "Jumo to the end" comment.

My secret..I always uber to  Intercontinental, have concierge look after luggage and have a good breakfast and then grab another Uber to port usually getting there at noon..seats are softer and ambiance is better at hotel..

Jan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jancruz said:

My secret..I always uber to  Intercontinental, have concierge look after luggage and have a good breakfast and then grab another Uber to port usually getting there at noon..seats are softer and ambiance is better at hotel..

Jan

Good plan Jan 😀