How does the food compare with Princess?

oskidunker

Food is super subjective as I'm sure you know.  Ask 10 people and get 10 different answers.  Speaking for me personally, in the past I've rated Cunard food above Princess.  Not so recently.  I've found the food just so-so the past couple years on Cunard.  Certainly not bad, but lacking the pizazz, presentation, and variety I've come to expect in years past.  

Most recently on Princess I found the food quite good.  A much better selection and variety than Cunard, but also the taste and quality were superior IMO.  

I'm sailing on QV in March so we will see how that compares.  Things are always changing in regards to cuisine.  New suppliers. New menus.  Different chefs.  etc. etc.   So just because cuisine wasn't as stellar my last Cunard sailing doesn't mean it won't be this time!  

7 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Splurged fir the Grills so Maybe it will be good

Oh in the Grills it should be without question.  If it isn't then Cunard is having some serious issues.  I was speaking specifically of Britannia vs MDR on Princess.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MCC retired said:

It’s really hard to compare food opinions between cruise lines , let alone to compare when one of the lines has separate dining rooms for suites and the other does not.

Food opinions are far too personal anyway .

Precisely - while there are some strong probabilities:  Chick Fila is almost always going to be rated higher than McDonalds McNuggets - but generally food is rated by the taste of the rater, rather than by some objective standard.  

In a a world where some people will actually consume Marmite without having a gun to their heads, you have to know not to pay much attention to any anonymous post which claims to distinguish between what different lines’ MDRs offer.

• Like 1

I suppose there are somethings that one can assess fairly subjectively: 

- quality of ingredients - what the lines actually spend on the food;

- breadth of choice;

- skill of cooking.

But it's still very subjective.

Edited by exlondoner
Incomplete
  • Like 1

We hav sailed in Brittania, Brittania Club and QG and have found the food to be quite good in all venue's.   (We've sailed almost every cruise line).  I always go with either a seafood, fish, or the vegetarian option, I never order meat.  We also like to go to the alternative dining ($15 pp) in the Kings Court (Italian, Asian, Indian etc.). We will also try Verandah since it has changed since the last time we've been on Queen Mary.   There will always be another meal and when we're on a ship I'm thrilled that I don't have to cook.

• Like 2

We're on a Princess cruise right now and crossed in QG on the QM2 a month ago (...and in Britannia in July)

As eroller mentioned, yes indeed, the food in Queen's Grill was excellent and beyond direct comparison to the MDR(s) on Princess or Cunard's Britannia dining. (And also superior to Princess' extra-charge steakhouse, the Crown Grill).

In an apples-to-apples comparison between the MDRs on both lines, we find them comparable. We enjoy both without complaint. However, there are some differences. (We have not been in Club Class dining on either line, so I can't compare either)
 - Cunard's breakfast menu is more extensive, but Princess offers interesting daily specials

- Unlike most lines, Cunard serves lunch in the dining rooms on port days.

- While both offer open seating on breakfast and lunch in the MDR, in the Cunard grills, you sit at your assigned table with no questions about sharing.
 - Princess lists always available items on their menu, whereas in Cunard's Britannia, you must ask your waiter. (Cunard's QG has a wonderful ala carte menu in addition to the daily offerings)
 - Ingredient quality and preparation is excellent on both (rating on doneness, temperature rather than necessarily taste, which is more subjective.) However, irritatingly, Princess uses regular brioche-type dough for their croissants, instead of the traditional flaky dough as served by Cunard.

In summary, if you enjoy Princess, you will be happy with Cunard. If you're in Queen's grill, you should be delighted!

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 2

(Update to the above. I just checked with my husband, the Princess croissant dough is not brioche-like but is more of a bready dinner roll type. In any event not the layered, laminated dough of a true croissant)

...on a positive note, after breakfast on Cunard, there are lots of flakes of "croissant shrapnel" left behind but on Princess, the tablecloth stays unsullied.

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 3

One more comparison.

Cunard has sommeliers in the dining rooms, whereas Princess uses their waiters. Also, the Princess wine list is grouped by characteristics/taste, whereas Cunard goes old-school, grouping wines by country.

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBearSF said:

One more comparison.

Cunard has sommeliers in the dining rooms, whereas Princess uses their waiters. Also, the Princess wine list is grouped by characteristics/taste, whereas Cunard goes old-school, grouping wines by country.

By country? Ive never seen that anywhere - so you have to read all the way though to find a Pinot Noir - for example? 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

By country? Ive never seen that anywhere - so you have to read all the way though to find a Pinot Noir - for example? 

It's been a 2-3 years since I've really looked at the wine list, so I asked my husband, who usually orders a glass most evenings. I had recalled that it was organized Red, European, N. America, for instance, and he replied yes. 

I don't recall the groupings but I glanced at the list this time on Princess and noticed they were all under descriptive headings. But I'll readily concede that one.

Also, the. Cunard list seemed more extensive.

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Take a look at the Cunard wine lists posted in this sticky.

I think the organization by country shown in those lists is still the format that's in use on board.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lissie said:

That is almost invariably how it should done in U.K. Restaurants, which is presumably what they are seeking to emulate. Within major countries such as France, it Is further divided by regions.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tv24 said:

Somewhat better, IMHO.  I've never sent a dish back, something I've had to do a number of times on Princess.

Within the past 6 trips, I've sent a dish back twice. Once, in Britannia, for lamb ordered medium-rare, but delivered well done. And coincidentally, last night in the Grand Princess MDR for a NY Strip Steak ordered and delivered in a similar fashion.

I found both forgivable. Especially with large-scale dining. What counts is that the restaurant quickly rectify the situation. Which was well done (pun intended) by Princess and not at all by Cunard, by the way. For what it's worth, the same situation happened to me (astonishingly) at the Four Seasons Restaurant in NY back in 1996.

It happens.

Edited by MarkBearSF

1 hour ago, MarkBearSF said:

Within the past 6 trips, I've sent a dish back twice. Once, in Britannia, for lamb ordered medium-rare, but delivered well done. And coincidentally, last night in the Grand Princess MDR for a NY Strip Steak ordered and delivered in a similar fashion.

I found both forgivable. Especially with large-scale dining. What counts is that the restaurant quickly rectify the situation. Which was well done (pun intended) by Princess and not at all by Cunard, by the way. For what it's worth, the same situation happened to me (astonishingly) at the Four Seasons Restaurant in NY back in 1996.

It happens.

One thing that stood out to me on my last Cunard voyage was how difficult a special request was in Britannia.  I just wanted a shrimp cocktail.   Special permission had to be obtained, and once approved and the dish arrived it was pretty pathetic.  I guess I learned my lesson on that one.  Don't deviate from the menu.  On Princess a similar request was granted no questions asked.  

Celebrity is really my line of choice for mainstream cruises, and I think their cuisine is superior to both Cunard and Princess, but that is just me.  Again everyone will have their own opinions on that.  Oceania really has been my best food experience at sea.  Every meal was truly superb.  Princess Grill on QE2 is probably second.  I loved all the table side preparation.  Funny enough one of my worst dining experiences in 130 cruises was also on QE2.  Just goes to show you how things can differ just a year before or after.  One other stand out that may surprise people is Disney.  Remy on the DISNEY DREAM is one of the best dining experiences you can have anywhere, land or sea.  Truly over the top, and Michelin Star quality service and cuisine.    

I do love Cunard though for my crossings.  It's not perfect (nothing ever is), but it's just an overall fantastic experience so I'm certainly willing to overlook some minor faults.    

Edited by eroller
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, eroller said:

One thing that stood out to me on my last Cunard voyage was how difficult a special request was in Britannia.  I just wanted a shrimp cocktail.   Special permission had to be obtained, and once approved and the dish arrived it was pretty pathetic.  I guess I learned my lesson on that one.  Don't deviate from the menu.  On Princess a similar request was granted no questions asked.  

Why would you expect to be able to order something that wasn't on the menu? I assume the menu is available before you sit down - if you don't like what's there you  have other options.  I've never understood going to a restaurant on land or sea and then ordering something they haven't advertised! 

Shrimp cocktail is on the unwritten* "always available" menu. I'm confused.

*I've heard here that the always available items are actually on a separate menu that can be viewed on request

• Shrimp cocktail
  • Caesar salad
  • Steak
  • Chicken breast
  • Fish (I forget the type)
  • Steamed vegetables.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Shrimp cocktail is on the unwritten* "always available" menu. I'm confused.

*I've heard here that the always available items are actually on a separate menu that can be viewed on request

• Shrimp cocktail
  • Caesar salad
  • Steak
  • Chicken breast
  • Fish (I forget the type)
  • Steamed vegetables.

That is exactly what I had heard, although I've never actually seen it confirmed nor have I ever seen it listed on any Britannia menu.  Shrimp cocktail sounded good one night as nothing else really appealed to me, and since I had read there were "always available" items I thought I would give it a shot.  One and done.  Like I mentioned previously our waiter said he would need to obtain special permission.  This came as a surprise to both my friend and I.  Needless to say I never ordered anything off the menu again nor am I in a habit of doing so.

It's unfortunate that Cunard is so secretive about this rumored Britannia perk.  On pretty much every other cruise line (Royal, Celebrity, HAL, Princess, Carnival, NCL, MSC, etc etc) the "always available" items are printed right on the menu.  On Cunard this is only done with Britannia Club and the Grills.  Obviously they need to make Britannia Club and the Grills feel special by providing something that Britannia doesn't have, but it seems rather silly to me.  

As to my experience, I'm not sure it was a one-off or the norm?  I never tried it a second time to find out.   

I've had the shrimp cocktail. If you're anticipating big prawns with ketchup-and-horseradish cocktail sauce you might be disappointed. The shrimp are smaller and they're mixed into a blander sauce.

We had a discussion with our waiter about the always-available items over Christmas. 

Edited by Underwatr

1 minute ago, Underwatr said:

I've had the shrimp cocktail. If you're anticipating big prawns with ketchup-and-horseradish cocktail sauce you might be disappointed. The shrimp are smaller and they're mixed into a blander sauce.

They were disappointing, and certainly not worth the drama of ordering from the so-called "unwritten always available" menu.  

• Like 1

I have seen that menu on the daily programme a couple of times. A slightly strange place for it to appear, but there it was. I think the fish is salmon. 

Incidentally in the UK, a US shrimp is called a prawn. A UK shrimp is smaller: hence the contents of the cocktail.